Cape Horn Loop Trail

Cape Horn Loop Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Washougal, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

NOTE: The lower section of the trail is closed from February to July 15th for Falcon mating season. This is a nice hike along the north shore of the Columbia River with great views. This loop trail will bring you to a great viewpoint over the Columbia at about 1,200 feet then drop you down to the very edge of the river along fields of lava rocks and by basalt towers. You'll pass a waterfall on the way to the Cape Horn Road that will bring you back to the parking lot as well.

Fun hike with lots of viewpoints. The purple blooms along the trail were really pretty as well. Trail is not the best for trail running but certainly worth checking out.

Good trail for a moderate hike. 8M out/back to the closed section which opens in July.

Hiked on May 4: this hike has it all: waterfalls, wildflowers, a few old growths, scenic gorge views, foot bridges, tunnel and delphinium lined trails. Lower trail closed, clocked 8.77 Miles on my i-watch doing an out and back course. Well maintained paths with excellent signage...

Love this trail. I didn't do the full loop as it was really windy when I got up to the top, but I did look at the map when I got back to the parking area and then hiked the lower trail to the second waterfall. it was a day after rains and the lower trail was wet and had very steep drop offs that looked like it went straight into the Columbia. The full loop is a must on my list on a day when the ground is more dry. Read the map in the parking lot, it tells you how to get to the lower trail. I did this hike back in early Feb before the lower trail closed.

Gorgeous views! New favorit trail.. It’s about 1.4 miles up to the top and about 800 ft in elevation gain from the parking lot. Wasn’t sure where the lower half that was closed began though.

BEAUTIFUL views! Just the right amount of hike. PSA— it says this everywhere but somehow I missed the fact that the lower half of the trail is closed. So, avoid walking on the highway like I did and plan accordingly.

Beautiful views of the Gorge. It was not real muddy when we went. The soil is very clay like and it was very compacted down. My shoes were hardly dirty when we got back to the parking lot.
Just an FYI, the spot where the lower trail begins (the area that is closed off) isn’t well marked that it’s closed off. However, once you reach the waterfall, that’s as far as you’re supposed to go. The trail is not blocked off prohibiting you from continuing on, but that is where the forestry would like for you to turn around. This is a really great hike!

the views were good the hike was okay.

Not much to say about it. Overal it is a nice hike.

NOTE: lower portion is closed until July 2018 (I posted a pic of the map that shows where). Still a very pretty hike. Went on a weekend morning, and it got fairly crowded as the day went on. Go early in the AM if you want the trail more to yourself.

Great hike! My gps recorded this loop at a little more then 7.5 miles. Be sure to wear good shoes and bring water! The views are spectacular! Great hike in January and even better in the summer months.

Pretty views. Decent climb. Muddy!!! There is a part of the lower that is like a scramble. The last 1.3 miles is a road walk. It’s lame but there’s a couple waterfalls and some incredible viewpoints. Cliffs areas. 2 dogs have died here!

Great Loop, close to town!

Be prepared for some serious wind up there!

This is a beautiful hike with multiple waterfalls, breathtaking views of the gorge, and some challenging terrain. Today the top of the trail was very muddy. There is a long section on the lower trail that is very rocky. Next time I will bring trekking poles.

Love this hike! Must do the lower portion too

Good hike, but check wind before you go. Exposed areas make it very chilly. Bundle up!

excellent

Very well maintained trail, and had a decent time on the trail, but don't think I'd ever do it again. I liked the random farmland, that was honestly the neatest part.

This hike has been recommended to me several times and it was stunning. Beautiful in the winter but very very windy!! I was able to trail run the majority of it with my hyper pup - we will definitely be back! :-)

wind was crazy! the end of the "loop" ends on a road. head left, up the road, to meet back to the parking lot. walking in pavement for just under a mile.

Great morning for a hike , no views due to fog, but a great trail!

Up to the lookout and back the same way us a good quick hike.

Great hike but it's getting muddy!! Enjoy it now before the season ends!

Windy! Trail is cool, except the last 1.5 miles is walking down a street.

Hiked/ran this a few weeks ago; very nice mix of ecosystems along the way (forest, grassland, farm, lava rock, etc) but truthfully I don't feel like the views at 3 miles in were any different or more spectacular than the views at 1 mile in. The first portion of this hike is a real butt kicker (we attempted to run it and totally gassed out).

The middle section is awesome for running, with lots of rollers and some scenic flats.

The end however is miserable, so much traversing over sharp and wiggly rocks and then you end up at a road, a long, steep road until you finally re-enter the trail for about half a mile before finishing.

We went early on a Sunday and had little trail traffic but by the time we finished the parking lot was full and cars were lining the road.

Beautiful!

It was a nice trail, and good views. Would rate 3.5 stars. Reason for not being 5 is that a lot of it was near the road and you could hear traffic; also still a lot of people on trail, which wasn’t a bad thing, just made for a less secluded / authentic experience. Def glad I did it but prob wouldn’t go rushing back - on the east side of moderate. Also the last 1.5 miles is just walking back along a road - that for me is what took away from rating it 5 stars. Still a good walk and nice views of the (now chard) Gorge.

Thank you to the group that made this possible!

Did the entire loop. It ended up being 8 miles, not 6. I LOVED it!