Cape Flattery Trail

Cape Flattery Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sekiu, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

cave

Known for its sunsets, Cape Flattery is a nature sanctuary on the northwestern-most point in the continental United States where the Strait of Juan de Fuca meets the Pacific where sea meets dramatic headlands, sea stacks, and deep narrow coves. View seabirds, whales and sea lions too. Preserved by the Makah Indian Nation, the well-maintained trail leads through wet areas, along coastal cliffs and across boardwalks. Start through a mist-drenched forest of Sitka spruce. Utilizing boardwalks and steps, drop to a series of promontories that provide great vistas of rugged Cape Flattery. At 0.75 mile is the viewing platform where you can see the Cape Flattery lighthouse on Tatoosh Island. Birds include Puffins and guillemots. Murres nest in the fortress-like cliffs. Oyster-catchers search tidal pools. Sea otters can be seen in the protected coves. Whales can often be spotted farther out. The area is often draped in fog and receives over 100 inches of annual rainfall. Directly offshore, Tatoosh Island was named for a Makah chief, once serving as a summer fishing camp for the Makahs. The U.S. Coast Guard first constructed a lighthouse on the island in 1857, and the current structure is automated. Now only sea lions, seals, and seabirds live on Tatoosh.

My husband took me here when we first started dating. It is breath taking! Go at sunset!

So wonderful w amazing views-

It’s worth every step of the hike :)

We completed this trail at dusk as we'd hoped to see the sunset. unfortunately the fog prevented us from seeing the sunset. However, this was an easy trail, and worth the quick trip through the woods. Beautiful views of the coast and lighthouse. One of my favorite places!

Had a blast on this trail. The views were absolutely breathtaking. Unfortunately, I had my video equipment case with me in the back of a non-lockable truck bed so was too afraid to leave it at the trail head. Had my computer, drone equipment, tripod, slider and much more and had to bring everything along with me. Sounds like a good problem to have, right? Great views and all this great equipment? The equipment I had with me was not for hiking.. ha it was for a video shoot so I had to lug all this equipment down the trail and back so I could enjoy it. I looked like a crazy person for sure. If I would’ve left the equipment I would’ve been worried sick the entire time and not enjoyed the hike. So, although a extra heavy hike, can’t wait to go back and do it again with just my normal hiking gear. We don’t get views like that where I’m from! (Oklahoma)

Beautiful rainforest opens to magnificent sea views and abundant wildlife.

Just amazing.. Incredible views. I wish there was more to hike because the whole trail is beautiful (after the gravel trail beginning)

Lovely view!!

An easy walk to the most westerly part of the continental US with a fantastic view over San Juan de Funca sound and the lighthouse island.

Hike through the coastal rain forest to the northern and western most point on the contiguous U.S. We were rewarded with the sights of humpback whales breaching in the distance. Others saw seals and sea otters. Spectacular!

Don't forget to get your Makah recreational day pass before you get there. We picked ours up at the general store in Neah Bay.

Short hike... like a really short hike! lol. But the views are breathtaking! Just dont forget to buy a permit for your car near the entrance of the reservation!

I had knee replacement surgery about 5 1/2 weeks before I did this trail. I was worried that I either wouldn't be able to do it, or at the very least couldn't get back up to the top. I used my cane and was careful, but I was able to complete the whole hike. There is always Tylenol and ice if you need it! Completely worth it for the view, and the sense of accomplishment.

This was a really easy trail and the view was beautiful. I went mid July on a Friday and the trail was heavily trafficked. There were probably forty plus people on the trail when I went

Short but incredible views

Took our 5 and 8 yr olds and dog. Wow. You'll wish it was longer. Beautiful mossy rainforest stroll gives way to low bushes with sparser large trees and ocean glinting in the distance through the trunks, roots through the trail everywhere, a wooden-plank walkway for the last half with view points branching off main path that ends in elevated platform overlooking the Pacific, sea caves, Tatoosh Island, and Vancouver Island in the distance.
Worth the drive.
Stop at the Breakwater Inn in Sekiu for the fried chicken or fish'n'chips and great views of the Juan de Fuca afterwards.

Worth the drive but just to warn you this is about 30 minutes past Sekiu close to Neah Bay Wa! Also the bathrooms was terrible avoid it if you can. Limited parking.

Great little trail with amazing views. Well worth the drive to Neah Bay!

The trail it's self is packed but the views, especially the one at the very end is worth it. Literally the edge of the world. You look left and there is not land on the edge of the ocean. I didn't want to leave. I wanted to pack it up, put it in my pocket, and keep it for a rainy day. So gorgeous. So spectacular. So humbling.

Beautiful place! Easy hike! Totally worth it! ✅