Cape Flattery Trail

Cape Flattery Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sekiu, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

cave

Known for its sunsets, Cape Flattery is a nature sanctuary on the northwestern-most point in the continental United States where the Strait of Juan de Fuca meets the Pacific where sea meets dramatic headlands, sea stacks, and deep narrow coves. View seabirds, whales and sea lions too. Preserved by the Makah Indian Nation, the well-maintained trail leads through wet areas, along coastal cliffs and across boardwalks. Start through a mist-drenched forest of Sitka spruce. Utilizing boardwalks and steps, drop to a series of promontories that provide great vistas of rugged Cape Flattery. At 0.75 mile is the viewing platform where you can see the Cape Flattery lighthouse on Tatoosh Island. Birds include Puffins and guillemots. Murres nest in the fortress-like cliffs. Oyster-catchers search tidal pools. Sea otters can be seen in the protected coves. Whales can often be spotted farther out. The area is often draped in fog and receives over 100 inches of annual rainfall. Directly offshore, Tatoosh Island was named for a Makah chief, once serving as a summer fishing camp for the Makahs. The U.S. Coast Guard first constructed a lighthouse on the island in 1857, and the current structure is automated. Now only sea lions, seals, and seabirds live on Tatoosh.

A nice, easy hike with many gorgeous views! A relatively long drive to the trail itself but beautiful scenery along the way.

nice view, parking hard to find, trail very busy

Beautiful scenes, easy hike.

Very easy hike to the lookout point with awesome views. Worth the drive out to the most northwesterly point on the contiguous United States.

Super short beautiful hike!

Absolutely stunning. Expect crowds, especially around sunset! Quick walk down to the lookouts, and it’s impossible to take a bad photo of this place.

Long drive but worth the scenic views. The trail starts out wide but then goes to boardwalks to get to the end. Can they widen the boardwalk?? Two people can not walk side by side and one had to get down to the dirt for others to pass. But at the end the sea stacks, deep narrow coves and beautiful greenish blue waters make the long drive worth it.

Went on a really calm day so didn’t hear much of the waves clashing against the rocks (bummer). But, it was stunning and the trek is very easy and well maintained.

Amazing! If you’re in the Olympics, it’s worth traveling to. We were there on a sunny day with blue skies and it was beautiful. The trail is really well-kept. If you go off the main trail through the little paths, you’ll see some more incredible views.

Breathtaking views of the Washington coastline. Absolutely stunning. Even saw a bald eagle soar across the Pacific! Doesn't get much better than that.

a must hike...gorgeous views

Amazing, breathtaking views. Many wonderful picture opportunities. Short, easy, well maintained trail. Convenient parking. Great trail.

More for site-seeing and not as much hiking of course. The hike has beautiful views and is worth the short trek. They have a lot of narrow walk-ways so if you have dogs who get excited around other dogs or people just be aware that it's a tight fit, especially if your dogs get aggressive around other dogs (just be aware).

Beautiful trail! Definitely worth a visit. Go off the main trail to some of the side trails for stunning views

Beautiful! One of our favorite hikes to add to the list. It takes awhile to get there from Forks (1.5hr) but it was worth the drive. We saw TONS of bald eagles during the drive so that was awesome! The hike itself is easy, light rain, trail had water/muddy so wear boots but overall the trail was really nice. It was a little foggy but you still had good views. Very few people were there so that was a plus. Definitely will come back to this place.

Long drive from the Seattle area. Went in early March. The trail is 1/2-1 mile long downhill. When you get to the bottom there’s many different trails you can explore leading to different views of the caves and ocean. Trail was slightly muddy so boots would be advised unless you don’t care about getting your shoes dirty.

very easy and well maintained. Also incredibly beautiful!

I live by this hike and it's my favorite I do it year round. I've seen all ages do this hike

The drive from Port Angeles was very long. The beautiful weather when we left wasn't nearly as beautiful when we got there. The hike was short and sweet. Not too difficult. the views were amazing. We can say that we have seen them but not sure I'd do it again.

Absolutely stunning. Easy trail, with a charming wood plank trail to look outs around the cape. The most beautiful place to watch the sunset.

My husband took me here when we first started dating. It is breath taking! Go at sunset!

So wonderful w amazing views-

It’s worth every step of the hike :)

We completed this trail at dusk as we'd hoped to see the sunset. unfortunately the fog prevented us from seeing the sunset. However, this was an easy trail, and worth the quick trip through the woods. Beautiful views of the coast and lighthouse. One of my favorite places!

Had a blast on this trail. The views were absolutely breathtaking. Unfortunately, I had my video equipment case with me in the back of a non-lockable truck bed so was too afraid to leave it at the trail head. Had my computer, drone equipment, tripod, slider and much more and had to bring everything along with me. Sounds like a good problem to have, right? Great views and all this great equipment? The equipment I had with me was not for hiking.. ha it was for a video shoot so I had to lug all this equipment down the trail and back so I could enjoy it. I looked like a crazy person for sure. If I would’ve left the equipment I would’ve been worried sick the entire time and not enjoyed the hike. So, although a extra heavy hike, can’t wait to go back and do it again with just my normal hiking gear. We don’t get views like that where I’m from! (Oklahoma)

Beautiful rainforest opens to magnificent sea views and abundant wildlife.

Just amazing.. Incredible views. I wish there was more to hike because the whole trail is beautiful (after the gravel trail beginning)

Lovely view!!