Cape Disappointment North Head Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(41)
Cape Disappointment State Park

Cape Disappointment North Head Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ilwaco, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 492 feet Route Type: Out & Back

good trail that is challenging at times but enjoyable throughout. beautiful trees and lots of wildlife.

Beautiful hike through the woods, even on a rainy day.

Loved this trail. First time in Disappointment and I’m glad we chose this trail as our inaugural outing. Started at the bottom (non-lighthouse side) and worked our way up. We brought our 9-month old with us in a hiking pack and were able to navigate the trail just fine. A little buggy at times (mosquitoes) and saw lots of little snakes sunning themselves. Lots of long, yellow slugs as well. Nature! To top it off, there were indeed bald eagles and some majestic views. Make sure to find the WWII bunker on Mackenzie trail too. Creeeeeeeepy and amazing.

One of the best NW Coastal trails. Some muddy spots, but easily traversable with treking poles and over the ankle hiking boots. Beautiful old growth, coast views, bald eagles.

The mud makes for a difficult trek but it is absolutely stunning. Forest hike with ocean views that ends at a small lake. Frogs, newts and eagles appeared on our adventure today.

great trail. ocean views in a few places. very muddy right now which can slow you down.

Loved this trail through the forest. You have to cross the road and walk up to McKenzie head though, the view there made the hike worth it. It’s a great place to pause for a snack or picnic. There’s also some old bunkers to explore while you take a little break.

Awesome trail! Saw bald eagle and deer! Trail reminded me of fern gully. So freekin cool!!!

Good trail. Lots of shade. Felt like the longest 1.5 miles to the end but ran back and much easier. Hills but manageable.

We did this trail with our kids, and it was a slow pace. However, the trail was easy to navigate, and beautiful scenery. It had rained the night before so there were areas that were slick and muddy, but nothing terrible. Definitely would recommend.

just a warning - plan for mosquitoes. Very quiet trail, pretty overgrown in places but that was actually kind of cool, felt a lot more remote than it is. Amazing bird diversity!

Sun Apr 28 2019

Nice views on both ends of the trail. The trail in-between is a narrow trail with almost no views but all the ferns and other plants give it a tropical feel. The trail itself was mostly dry, just a few muddy spots. I agree with the moderate rating as there are several tree roots on the trail with some incline/decline.

Sat Jan 26 2019

What an awesome hike! I’ve been on both ends of the trail now and the views are incredible. Mckenzie Head is gorgeous. You can see where the Columbia River meets the Ocean.

Mon Aug 20 2018

Beautiful trail I suggest adding the McKenzie trail to this for a workout.

Mon Apr 09 2018

Nice and easy trail. I’d consider it a little on the technical side given all the roots and the amount of slippery mud.

Sun Jun 18 2017

We are absolute beginners, both having lost a lot of weight and still working on upping our activity level. I don't know if I would rate this hike "easy" for middle-aged duffers like us, but it was easy enough. We didn't make it all the way to MacKenzie Head, but that was because of mud on the trail, not because it had gotten too tough for us. I would do it again. But bring bug repellent! The mosquitos were nasty.

Sun Jan 22 2017

Very fun hike! Took my 2 and 4 year old it took us a little over two hours but all in all was a great hike! we got sprinkled on at the end which felt amazing as it was a difficult hike back up the hill.

Wed Jun 22 2016

It was awesome. I'll do it again....

Tue Oct 15 2013

Loved this area. Spent most of the day checking it out. Bike trails, hiking, 2 light houses. Interpretive center. History of the fort/battery. We need to come back with the kid and dogs. Beautiful day to hike. Lots of different types of mushrooms.

Sun Apr 28 2013

We don't usually car camp, but I have to say we liked this place so much we stayed an extra night to finish all the trails in the area. Could not believe how many salamandars there were. Had to be very careful where we stepped. Awesome woodfire pizza at the store next to the entrance. Definitely coming back again in April. The park hasn't fully opened so you are able to really appreciate the place without crowds.