Camp Muir Route Via Skyline Trail

Camp Muir Route Via Skyline Trail is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

rock climbing

skiing

An extreme dayhike to Muir, the primary base camp for summit expeditions.

Went in June, very hard but lovely hike to Camp Muir. Be aware of sudden weather change even in summer, bring compass to be safe and lots of sunblock.

Extremely beautiful on a clear day, difficult hike

Excellent!

Went June 2018. We arrived at Paradise with all paths covered in several feet of snow. This definitely made the hike through Sunrise much more difficult. The All Trails Pro app was a lifesaver as we needed GPS to safely navigate the path as they were snow covered and not well marked. The cloud cover was pretty intense so visibility was only about 20 feet for a good part of the hike.
In terms of materials needed, hiking sticks, micro spikes or snowshoes a must and a Camelback and snacks. Bring a trashbag for the decent!! It is the amazingly fun way to get down the mountain. Dress in layers because the temp changes as you move up the mountain but you'll be sweating from the work.
It is not an easy hike but the views are amazing. Not a lot of traffic, but enough to encourage you to keep going.
We did it in a day hike but if you can stay the night at camp Muir so you can relax a bit and just enjoy the peace at the top of the mountain.

Trail was a great challenge, unfortunately bad weather brought my hike to an end.

Hiked July 2,2018- took us about six hours with a forty five minute break at the top. Weather was not ideal with most of the trip being in white out conditions but with the snowfield well tracked and the trail markers relatively easy to find, we were able to follow the trail relatively easily. Would recommend to bring a GPS as a backup just in case. Worth every bit of the hard work for the views. Stopped along the way and saw some marmots. Pro tip- Utilize the glissades to help get down the mountain but don’t get carried away and go in the wrong direction, have a lot of fun!

I did it as a day hike this morning and it took me 3 hours to get to the campground. Beautiful views and there is so mucha snow. I like to avoid the crowds so started hiking around 6:00 am.

Always such a thrill to be on Mt Rainier. . Always a long day from Mill Creek, WA. By the time you stop for this and that and ohhhhh pizza sounds good . . 14 hour day. But always so worth it! It’s one of my favorite day hikes in Washington State. Trail is almost snow free to the top of Alta Vista. “Route n snow” is about as perfect as you will get going to Muir. Multiple glisade chutes on the way down. . Not concerned with “times” anymore . . Buttttt I think it was a personal best at 1:37 on the way down. Wild flowers will be in full bloom on 7/20/18 in the Paradise area.

Best hiking trip I have ever had. Love the snow wish I lived where it snowed! Definitely recommend because even though I wasn’t prepared for it we almost made it to camp Muir about 500 feet higher than we were and about 2 more hours of walking. So we went back down but I had so much fun and this hike inspired me to do more and get this app.

beautiful and challenging.

Went with REI this past Saturday. Had three breaks every hour or so to catch our breath. Weather turned out perfect at the top with a view above the clouds. Glissade chutes down were well appreciated. This mountain hike is no joke.

Made the hike up to Camp Muir on 6/2/18. It was a beautiful sunny day with very little wind. Incredible views of the upper mountain as well as Mt Adams, Hood and St Helens. Saw two avalanches on the upper mountain and heard several more. That was pretty incredible. Glissade chutes were numerous and lots of fun on the way down. This is a long hard hike but well worth the effort. I highly recommend it.

Though this hike is TOUGH this is so worth it. I am a fairly in shape person, I trained a couple times going up mount si with a 30lb pack along with running and weight lifting. I ended up with a 40lb pack (thanks to my sister) going to Muir. Took quite some time as I had my 62 yr old mother with me. Started at 9:15am and got there around 4pm. 100% snow terrain. If you camp there, you need a permit so make sure to stop at the guide station before you head out. Also didn’t get a wink of sleep as it was incredibly windy and cold. The altitude never hit me as hard as it did for a couple people in our group, they say it really only hit when you got to the camp. Though Like I said, it was tough, But this was an experience of the life time. 10/10 would recommend.

Amazing hike! 5/27/18 Weather today was amazing, not a cloud in the sky. We could see Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Hellen’s, and Mt. Hood.
This hike is only for experienced hikers and you want the correct gear. Good mountaineer boots or boots with micro-spikes, poles, sun protection, and plenty of water. The weather can change on a dime so be prepared.
Some people bring up their skis or snowboards and ride down.

skiing

Best done with skis especially for the descent. This can be quite crowded on the weekends. If you have the knowledge and are properly equipped, enjoying a sunset at Camp Muir then skiing back to Paradise before full darkness can be spectacular. Always be aware of the hours posted for the gate at Longmire as they lock it to all traffic both up and down in the winter.

This IS a tough hike if you're not in shape, but if you're a '2-3 hike-a-weeker' you should have no problem. The 8.5 mile roundtrip distance isn't the problem....it's the 1,000ft. per mile elevation gain. You're nearly at a mile up at the onset so drink lots of water the night before you start and bring plenty and sip it often as well as tasty high-carb snacks. If it's a clear day, start early, gob on the sunscreen and apply often.... the Muir snowfield is BRUTAL on a hot summer day. Don't become depressed when your destination seems to keep getting further and further away from you the closer you get. It's the altitude making your boots feel like they're cinder-blocks. Try two little tricks for the 'climbers' use. Pressure breaths...blow out two breaths deeply then inhale one long deep one...about every 5 minutes or so. Also try climbers- step when thighs and calves are fatigued on steep areas: Place leg forward and put weight on the knee joint and step up straight and repeat. Take your time, you're not in a race....just maintain a steady pace. (I'm 65 and this does help me...it's good practice if you're having trouble with altitude and better than most) If you notice nausea or a migraine setting in, TURN AROUND and head back calmly. The mountain will still be there for another day. 9 times out of 10 you'll notice the symptoms disappear once you proceed to a lower altitude. Camp Muir itself is a reward. Congratulate yourself as you sit 2/3 of the way up Rainier taking in tiny Paradise Hotel, Mt. Adams and the valleys beyond. When you make it back down reward yourself with a great meal and brew!! ENJOY!

Hiked this today 02/12/2018, on a gorgeous sunny day! Only needed micro spikes and poles, but brought snowshoes just in case. First time up to Camp Muir, ice covered most of the way, making it a bit sketchy on the steepest terrain. It was very rewarding hike, can’t wait to do this during summer, I hear it’s much easier.

I had an amazing experience hiking this on Tuesday, 10/27. I had a late start and was not off the mountain until after dark but that only added to my experience. Watching the sunset from up on Rainier was amazing. Most people going up are skiers and snowshoers this time of year and I understand why. There was snow and ice right from the Paradise parking lot all the way to Camp Muir. Hiking this climb this time of year is for experienced and prepared hikers/climbers only. I suggest solid boots with spikes, poles, warm clothes, a headlamp, and the ability to track your progress using GPS. I'd also suggest making sure someone knows your exact plan and when you expect to be off the mountain. I normally wouldn't write all these suggestions but I saw several beginner hikers that had to turn around very early on because of not doing the things mentioned above. Of course it was nice to have the trail to myself too! Awesome experience but a serious endeavor for sure with this much snow and ice. PS, lots of falling ice from both sides of the Muir snowfield.

Great mountain to hike and skin up. Enjoyed skiing down the snow face. Great view from up top, experienced the change of altitude and felt sick. It was worth it for the views!

Best views of Mt.Rainier. Moderate hike

Amaizing experience I will back soon

very strenuous hike. took us almost 5.5 hrs to climb up and 2.5 hrs to come down. But in the end, it was worth the hard work. coming down, we glissade almost all the way. it was really fun glissading.

we hiked this on 9/9/17. we parked between the visitors center and the park rangers cabin and started up the trail at 0740. it was 45 degrees, foggy, and windy. the first 2 miles were pretty straight forward but the last 2.2 were an adventure. 2 hikers on their way down said it was too treacherous to attempt the snowfield but we continued. the visibility was 20 yards max once we hit the snowfield and we had a hard time finding any trail up. we made are own way and over 1.5 miles up the fog would break for a minute or 2 and make it all worth it. we made it to the camp, had a snack, and talked with some of the climbers just getting down from the summit. it took us 3 hours without poles or crampons. the poles would be very helpful for the trek down as it is very slippery. we brought contractor grade trash bags to slide down some of the mountain and that was a blast.

the temp at the camp was mid 30s with a 40mph wind.

all in all a great hike. there is plenty of water along the first 2 miles but nothing but snow once you hit the snowfield so plan accordingly.

Hiked on Sunday 8/20. Completely clear, beautiful weather in the morning. A little overcast in the afternoon. Rented poles from the gift shop the night before and they proved invaluable on the snow field. Left for the hike at 8:20am from the parking lot - this was nice to leave at this time to avoid the crowds of tourists. Hiked at a very leisurely pace and took a 1.5 hour break at Camp Muir and the hike only took 8.5 hours. Did not need crampons for the snow field, but the poles did help. Try to walk in someone else's footsteps in the snow field going up - makes it much easier. Highly suggest sliding down on the snow on the way back, it is extremely fun and makes the hike much better on the way down.

We went yesterday for the eclipse and it was amazing! The first two miles to the snow fields are beautiful. We saw a black bear in the distance, marmots, and some birds. You don't need micro spikes at the snow fields but some trekking poles came in handy. It was a bit cold on the way up as we left paradise at 7am so bring some gloves or your hands might go numb. The steps are short in the snow field as you shuffle your feet up the mountain. It took 3.5 hours to reach the top but the whole trek was well worth the soreness we faced today. You can hear the mountain talking as the glaciers break loose and crevasses are formed but those are way up the mountain and you are not in harms way. Make sure to bring a trash bag so you can glissade down the snow fields! A lot of laughter was had as we made trash bag pants by sticking out legs through the bottom of the garbage bag. A must do hike!!!

Fantastic Hike!! It was very foggy and wet today! We had to turn around and couldn't make it to Camp Muir due to the weather but I'll be back!!

It's the perfect time of the year to do this!

Round trip about 7 hours with family (Mom, Dad, Me (17), Brother (15), sister (18)). BRING SOMETHING TO SLIDE DOWN ON (garbage bag, plastic disc, ect. Bring crampons. Leave fairly early.

I did it in 5 hours round trip. At 9,000 my heart was pounding out of my chest and I had to stop and get my heartbeat down before walking again. Make sure you're methodical with your approach. Bring water and snacks and a high carb meal for basecamp. Going down is hard on the knees, so bring something to slid on!

Incredible hike, my original goal was the Muir Snowfields, but the weather was perfect, the views were unbelievable, and I found myself pushing on. The views of Paradise and Rainier are stunning, and seeing Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood, and Mt. St Helens in the distance on a clear day just takes it to another level.