Camp Muir Route Via Skyline Trail

Camp Muir Route Via Skyline Trail is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

rock climbing

skiing

snowboarding

An extreme dayhike to Muir, the primary base camp for summit expeditions.

I had an amazing experience hiking this on Tuesday, 10/27. I had a late start and was not off the mountain until after dark but that only added to my experience. Watching the sunset from up on Rainier was amazing. Most people going up are skiers and snowshoers this time of year and I understand why. There was snow and ice right from the Paradise parking lot all the way to Camp Muir. Hiking this climb this time of year is for experienced and prepared hikers/climbers only. I suggest solid boots with spikes, poles, warm clothes, a headlamp, and the ability to track your progress using GPS. I'd also suggest making sure someone knows your exact plan and when you expect to be off the mountain. I normally wouldn't write all these suggestions but I saw several beginner hikers that had to turn around very early on because of not doing the things mentioned above. Of course it was nice to have the trail to myself too! Awesome experience but a serious endeavor for sure with this much snow and ice. PS, lots of falling ice from both sides of the Muir snowfield.

Great mountain to hike and skin up. Enjoyed skiing down the snow face. Great view from up top, experienced the change of altitude and felt sick. It was worth it for the views!

Best views of Mt.Rainier. Moderate hike

Amaizing experience I will back soon

very strenuous hike. took us almost 5.5 hrs to climb up and 2.5 hrs to come down. But in the end, it was worth the hard work. coming down, we glissade almost all the way. it was really fun glissading.

we hiked this on 9/9/17. we parked between the visitors center and the park rangers cabin and started up the trail at 0740. it was 45 degrees, foggy, and windy. the first 2 miles were pretty straight forward but the last 2.2 were an adventure. 2 hikers on their way down said it was too treacherous to attempt the snowfield but we continued. the visibility was 20 yards max once we hit the snowfield and we had a hard time finding any trail up. we made are own way and over 1.5 miles up the fog would break for a minute or 2 and make it all worth it. we made it to the camp, had a snack, and talked with some of the climbers just getting down from the summit. it took us 3 hours without poles or crampons. the poles would be very helpful for the trek down as it is very slippery. we brought contractor grade trash bags to slide down some of the mountain and that was a blast.

the temp at the camp was mid 30s with a 40mph wind.

all in all a great hike. there is plenty of water along the first 2 miles but nothing but snow once you hit the snowfield so plan accordingly.