Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Camp Muir Route Via Skyline Trail

Camp Muir Route Via Skyline Trail is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

rock climbing

skiing

An extreme dayhike to Muir, the primary base camp for summit expeditions.

Wonderful views. I couldn’t have had better conditions - there wasn’t a cloud in the sky and I could see all the way to Mount Hood in the distance with closer views of Mount Adams and Mount St. Helens. The last 800’ were a challenge (in part due to not being acclimatized to the elevation) but the views and sense of accomplishment were worth the effort. I snow shoed up this time, but I think I would try to skin up next time and ski down.

“Trail” in great condition and shared by skiers, snowshoers, hikers, climbers. Beautiful weather, moderate winds above Panorama, dying out completely on the approach to Muir. The 9 degree forecast felt more like 45+. Even “Clark Grizwald” made an appearance using a garbage can lid as a glissade-aide. Gate didn’t open until 9 at Longmire, which made for a 2-hour wait, so we did Eagle Peak for a bit while waiting. Made for a very long day. I forgot to turn off recording, so you get a little of the drive home on this before I turned it off.

The winter route is in full swing, with most people going strait up the chute below Panorama Point, bypassing most switchbacks. I only saw 2 folks go in the direction of the standard.

Good and long training hike for Mt. Adams or other larger objectives. Get ready for the heat and some serious glare off the snow/glacier. Do not forget your shades. Great views from the top, and continue on to the summit if you have a team and permits.

Very challenging but worth it. Beautiful scenery.

Epic.

This and the Enchantments are my favorite trails I've done. I hiked up with my best friend and a duffle bag (lol wut?) full of awful gear back in 2012 and didn't realize what I was getting myself into. Spent the freezing night at Camp Muir and woke up to the most amazing views of my life - you could see Mt. Jefferson, St. Helens, Adams, and Hood. The sunrise comes up right behind all them. Really want to do the trail again and summit the mountain.

I’ve done this hike 6 times now. It has to be done on a beautiful day. Mid-summer is perfect as long as it’s clear. Training is important if you aren’t an avid hiker. Starting out at a slower pace helps make the whole hike enjoyable. Bring a large garbage bag to slide down the many trails. You’re on snow for about half of it.

Did this a few weeks ago with my fiancé it’s was amazing... one of my bucket list hikes soooo worth it but it took much longer then I thought it would... I will do it again next year!! Maybe summit in 2020...

Just did this hike on Saturday October 20th with 3 buddies. Couldn’t have picked a better day to do this hike! Perfect weather and not a cloud in site. The views were amazing... clear enough to see Mount Adams, St Helens and even Mount Hood in Oregon!! Saw a mountain goat and 2 avalanches over on the Nisqually Glacier. You could hear the booms...very cool! Well worth the effort as it is tough. Especially (for me at least) the last quarter mile or so was very taxing. Partly because i was fully geared up testing some new equipment carrying about 40 lbs. Took us 5 hours up and 3 hours down. We could have shaved an hour or so off that time if we really pushed but we were in no hurry. Too bad the snow was mostly ice so no glissading but it was a great hike nonetheless. I plan to do this hike a few more times with hopes to summit Rainier by the end of next summer!

Unbelievably fun hike. The Muir snow field is unrelenting though. Muir Camp always seems just over the next hill and then it gets twice as far away when you crest the hill! Total time ROUND TRIP was 6 hours, not sure how it takes most people 5 hours one way. I stopped to film a ton of photos and videos, plus an hour of relaxing in the sunshine at Muir Camp, and it still only took from 1:45pm to 7:45pm to complete. Amazing hike that now makes me want to do the final 4000’ to the summit next summer!

Amazing day hike! Crevasse is pretty easy to spot, but definitely keep an eye out (hikers right going up, left going down). Took about 7 hours - we kept a solid pace, but needed a few stops on the last mile and spend about 20 mins at the camp.

My friend and I did it yesterday! Gorgeous weather and yes it is a very strenuous hike. Watch out the crevasse and take you micro spikes!

Strenuous day hike best started early. Temp changes pretty drastically halfway to base camp. Brought microspikes which helped some, may as well use them if you got. Did not use poles. Such rapid elevation change that I needed more frequent stops towards the end. Great views, but once you get about a mile from the camp you’re just trucking over snow at a high altitude. Nonetheless, I’d do it again. You can hear the glaciers break apart in loud booms and it’s pretty phenomenal.

TLDR: we fell through the ice into a crevasse.

My boyfriend and I are avid hikers and wanted to do this trail when visiting rainier. We did a lot of research, and even though we knew it could be a dangerous hike, we were mostly warned on changing weather conditions and whiteouts. It was a beautiful day today - record breaking, not a cloud in the sky. We were almost at Muir (which is a very strenuous hike, if we made it to the top it might have been worth it), when POOF, through the earth i fell. No warnings, no holes in the ground, just walking on snow and next thing I know I’m in a glacier way over my head. My boyfriend tried to get me out and then he fell in too. After some struggle, getting soaked by the freezing ice, and getting stuck deeper in the hole, we finally got out. Thank god I had a sat phone and we called for help as I was I injured. On the way down the mountain, the guide fell in another crevasse in a totally different location!! We had never even heard of these and here we were. There was even a warning sign before the snowfield that mentioned whiteouts and weather changes but no mention of crevasses. So, while Rainier is beautiful, and the hike might be good for people with snowshoes or skis, BE CAREFUL. we could have died today.

We attended to reach Camp Muir, Mt Rainier on August 26th, 2018 from from the base at Paradise at 5400’. We started on the Skyline trail around 9:00 am and went via Panorama Point and all the way to Pebble Creek Trail. The views of the mountain are just amazing. The hike was snow free until we reached above 7200’. On the way we met one of the volunteer rangers who un warned that thunderstorms may be coming in late afternoon. We continue our hike on the snow a little late in the day and we made it all the way to above 8500’. At this point was already passed 3:00pm and we decided to turn back. It’s a considered a strenuous hike, but doing it is way harder than that. I’ll be back to finish this hike soon! Manny

I started at 8.30am at the parking lot and by the time I got to the snow section at 10am, it was still firm. On my way down at 11am-ish it had soften quite a bit. I wore micro spikes up, but when I was coming down I saw some people successful walk up with out micro spikes. Though if you have it, might as well bring it.

Gorgeous along the way to the top! Snow got really soft so hard to glissade, but still a lot of snow!

Amazing view and hike! Last 2 miles are very brutal even for an experienced hiker like me. There isn’t much snow up there and that’s why it’s more steep.

What an epic journey. Couldn’t have asked for better weather. Brought the right gear, pretty much poles and crampons. It’s sure is a butt kicker but so much fun and the views were breathtaking.

Beautiful day hike! I will definitely be coming back! Did this back in July so don't have latest conditions but NPS recommended the following website for most accurate weather on the route (also found on NPS website)

One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done. A pair of crampons or snow cleats would have been very beneficial so if you have those take them.

Hiked this on 18th Aug. Beautiful hike. Fun glissading
down. 2nd time to camp muir.

Great challenging hike! Views amazing despite haze. I recommend bringing some kind of spikes/yaktrax and hiking poles (I did it without but wished I had them). There is a ton of snow to hike through and it's straight up! Took about 4hrs to get up and 1.5hrs down. We brought trash bags for glissading! It was so much fun after all that hardwork! I would recommend for comfortable glissading to wear waterproof pants and layers to keep your booty warm and some waterproof gloves! I hiked all the way up in a tank top and threw on my patagonia for the way down! Be sure to bring water and snacks to refuel!

Tough hike but amazing time out there. Bring a trash bag for the way down.

Awesome hike, doesn't get much better than this unless you do the summit. Bring garbage bags for glissading down, I did it without and spikes or poles by avoiding majority of the snow. My favorite hike so far!

Take a plastic bag for glissading, lots of sunscreen and water, it’s amazing enjoy!

Awesome hike! July 24 with Nahid and Aras! Full detailed map, extra layers, spikes, extra water and sun production makes this long hike more pleasant!