Burroughs Mountain Trail

Burroughs Mountain Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Packwood, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November.

This is the same trail as the Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail, so I will repeat my review here: I combined this hike with Fremont Lookout Trail. The signage is good and the trails are easy to follow. The Frozen Lake wasn't a lake when I was there, so it confused me to thinking I was on the wrong trail, but the signs straightened me out :) I hiked to the first and second Burroughs to catch a view of the glacier at a wonderful overlook to eat lunch. The trail to get up the Burroughs is steadily steep and you're walking on shale rock that can easily slip beneath your feet. It's definitely a heart-pumper! From the visitor center most of the trail is in the sun and above tree line, so bring hat, sunscreen, and water. Totally doable if you are used to hiking distances.

Mount Rainier is in view almost the entire way. the view at the end is worth it.

This turned out to be one of the best hikes of our vacation in the Pacific Northwest. We had a beautiful day and the views were really great. I thought it was challenging enough to not be boring! We made it the 2nd Burroughs before making the loop back. Definitely recommend!

We were there Sunday and this is my all time favorite hike! Highly recommend!

The weather wasn't all that great to begin with, however my husband and I made the best of it.

Starting through Mt Rainer National park and entrancing to the "Burroughs Trail."

Beautiful views, absolutely beautiful.

Amazing view on the mountain! My favorite in this national park (even if there's a lot of traffic on trail ...!)

One of my new favorites . Hiked 7/27 good weather Great views .

Hiked to the 3rd Burroughs on 7/25/17. Excellent hike, had a few snow fields to cross but not bad. Trekking poles did come in handy when crossing the snow fields. (Especially on the way to the 1st Burroughs.) Did the loop on the way back, hardly saw anyone (on the loop) until we got closer to the parking area. Saw 2 different groups of goats along the way, marmots, chipmunks and even a raven up at the top of the 3rd Burroughs. Many flowers are in bloom and many more that should be blooming soon. Wonderful views all along the trail!

Hiked to 3rd Burroughs 7/11/17 via Sourdough Ridge on the way out and Sunrise Rim on the return. Two sloped snowfields to cross prior to 1st Burrough that are steep enough that good hiking boots with traction are necessary and trekking poles would be a good idea. An ice axe would be a nice backup if you slip. Above the 1st Burrough trail is still snow covered in places and difficult to find/follow and especially above the 2nd Burrough even harder to follow. Trail on top of the 3rd Burrough is clear of snow with lots of low growing flowers. Spectacular views from the top! Goats, marmots, chipmunks, ravens, and even a fox added to the adventure. Many flowers are still in the bud stage and haven't bloomed yet, the low growing ones are definitely in full bloom.