Burroughs Mountain Trail

Burroughs Mountain Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Packwood, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November.

This is the same trail as the Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail, so I will repeat my review here: I combined this hike with Fremont Lookout Trail. The signage is good and the trails are easy to follow. The Frozen Lake wasn't a lake when I was there, so it confused me to thinking I was on the wrong trail, but the signs straightened me out :) I hiked to the first and second Burroughs to catch a view of the glacier at a wonderful overlook to eat lunch. The trail to get up the Burroughs is steadily steep and you're walking on shale rock that can easily slip beneath your feet. It's definitely a heart-pumper! From the visitor center most of the trail is in the sun and above tree line, so bring hat, sunscreen, and water. Totally doable if you are used to hiking distances.

Mount Rainier is in view almost the entire way. the view at the end is worth it.

This turned out to be one of the best hikes of our vacation in the Pacific Northwest. We had a beautiful day and the views were really great. I thought it was challenging enough to not be boring! We made it the 2nd Burroughs before making the loop back. Definitely recommend!

We were there Sunday and this is my all time favorite hike! Highly recommend!

The weather wasn't all that great to begin with, however my husband and I made the best of it.

Starting through Mt Rainer National park and entrancing to the "Burroughs Trail."

Beautiful views, absolutely beautiful.

Amazing view on the mountain! My favorite in this national park (even if there's a lot of traffic on trail ...!)

One of my new favorites . Hiked 7/27 good weather Great views .

Hiked to the 3rd Burroughs on 7/25/17. Excellent hike, had a few snow fields to cross but not bad. Trekking poles did come in handy when crossing the snow fields. (Especially on the way to the 1st Burroughs.) Did the loop on the way back, hardly saw anyone (on the loop) until we got closer to the parking area. Saw 2 different groups of goats along the way, marmots, chipmunks and even a raven up at the top of the 3rd Burroughs. Many flowers are in bloom and many more that should be blooming soon. Wonderful views all along the trail!

Hiked to 3rd Burroughs 7/11/17 via Sourdough Ridge on the way out and Sunrise Rim on the return. Two sloped snowfields to cross prior to 1st Burrough that are steep enough that good hiking boots with traction are necessary and trekking poles would be a good idea. An ice axe would be a nice backup if you slip. Above the 1st Burrough trail is still snow covered in places and difficult to find/follow and especially above the 2nd Burrough even harder to follow. Trail on top of the 3rd Burrough is clear of snow with lots of low growing flowers. Spectacular views from the top! Goats, marmots, chipmunks, ravens, and even a fox added to the adventure. Many flowers are still in the bud stage and haven't bloomed yet, the low growing ones are definitely in full bloom.

Beautiful hike and amazing view of Rainier. Saw 40-50 mountain goats from the top of the mountain. Used to be grandmas favorite hike

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

wonderful hike!

Monday, September 26, 2016

I recommend making it to the third. I met a group of mountain goats between the second and the third Burroughs. When you reach the third you will feel like you can touch MT rainier definitely worth the effort. I completed the loop and reached Fremont lookout on the same day. Beautiful mountain.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Made the hike today to the first Burrough and it was beautiful. So different than most hikes as it looks like another planet at the top. Clear, sunny and it was a great day to be up at the mountain.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Took Sourdough out to first Burroughs, which offered a very nice view of Rainier and the surrounding valley. There was some snow on the ground at the end of September, and the wind was very cold once we got to the top! I wish we could have gone on further; the view was incredible.

Monday, August 17, 2015

This was a spectacular hike! Definitely make it all the way to the third Burroughs as the view of Mount Rainier is breathtaking! It is the closest you can get to the summit without climbing gear. The hike itself is easy-moderate with a decent elevation gain. Beautiful meadows, vast tundra, and wildlife can be seen along the way. I will definitely be coming back!

Monday, August 10, 2015

Took Sunrise Trail to the 2nd Burroughs and came back along the Sunrise Rim Trail (about 7-ish miles). Lots of elevation gains to get the blood pumping but don't let that scare you -- I saw a fair amount of kiddos and a lot of older adults with poles crushing it out there. Sunrise Rim Trail can get a little narrow with steep, rocky drop-offs so you might want to consider taking your small kiddies back the way you came up if they tend to go barreling down trails way ahead of you. Great views of Mt. Rainier all along the way when the weather cooperates and very nice, informative staff.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

By far my favorite!! Beautiful view of the Mountain that day! Lucky! Flowers were not out this time of year but it didn't matter it was so pretty. Great work out and the very blue lake we found next to the White river was breadth taking!! Highly recommend
this hike!

Friday, August 22, 2014

Nice sunny day with enough wind to keep us cool and bugs off the trail. Went with the nephews and niece and only got to first Burroughs point, still got great views of Mt Rainier from Sunrise parking lot to our turn around point. Will definitely come up a few times this summer to try going to further and try out Mt Fremont lookout. Saw a friendly marmot on our way down that had the kids excited for walking soo far.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Be in good shape, I did 10 miles, round trip, starting from Sunrise parking lot and go up for 5 miles and 7500 feet high, a lot snow total round trip 7-1/2 hours

Monday, October 28, 2013

Gorgeous views. I've hiked this trail several times over the years and never get tired of the in-your-face views of Rainier. Definitely one of the best hikes on the northeast side of Rainier. By the 3rd burrough the top or Rainier will feel so close that you could almost touch it. There has almost always been snow on the trail the farther/higher you take it. So poles might come in handy depending on what time of year you hike this trail.