Burroughs Mountain Loop Via Glacier Basin

Burroughs Mountain Loop Via Glacier Basin is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ashford, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

This hike will bring you up the drainage of the Inter Glacier and return you over the broad Burroughs Mountain. Take this 11 mile loop hike up a glacial drainage basin to an alpine ridge with spectacular close up views of Mt. Rainier. You'll then descend past a very cold alpine lake and part of the famous Wonderland Trail. If you want you can camp in the White River Campground the night before to get an early start on the trail.

This is the first real hike for me. I did the hike clockwise starting at White River campground. I took 7 hours to complete it. The Glacier Basin portion was serene. I saw a few hikers in this portion. There weren’t that many bugs. The next portion on the Skyline Trail was more “interesting”. The first part involved switchbacks through different types of vegetation. This part needs bug spray and is steep. Once one crosses the timber line, one gets to the part described by another poster as “sketchy”. The trail is narrow, rocky, steep and exposed. The views are phenomenal. The peak of Mount Rainier was covered in mist when I walked up here, but it was still great. I did not pass a single person in either direction on the Skyline Trail. It took an hour and a half to do it with breaks. This part isn’t trafficked heavily and most hikers avoid it. The exposed parts with loose stones were certainly scary for a beginner like me. Once I got to about 6900 feet, it got a lot less scary and the walk to Burroughs Mountain 2nd peak was steep at parts, but reasonable. I even saw trail runners running between Burroughs Mountain 3rd peak and 2nd peak. I saw a lot of climbers without trekking poles on Burroughs Mountain. I can’t imagine that on the Sunrise Trail in either direction. I assume one can do that if one starts from Sunrise, which is already at fairly high altitude. The views from the frozen lake through the Sourdough Trail were great. There were wild flowers in bloom along the Sunrise Rim Trail. The climb down through the Wonderland trail is hard on the knees.

July 29- Started around 7:00am from Sunrise parking lot. Did this loop counterclockwise following the Burroughs Mountain Trail. The views all around are incredible at the second Burroughs though the terrain is rocky and bare in most places. We did see a bunch of mountain goats nearby, however. From there we stayed left, heading down the mountain of sketchy trail to steeper terrain of switchbacks and increasing forest. Here the bugs started getting bad. After a couple miles, we reached the Glacier Basin trail and headed towards the White River Campground. This part was great, being there were lots of trees, waterfalls, flowers, views and little streams to cross. (The Glacier Basin Trail is excellent by itself. Quite popular. Beware of lots of annoying bugs, though.) At the campground we got to rest and recuperate before the last stretch of our hike. Following a part of the Wonderland trail, we headed up the steep switchbacks through the forest to the Shadow Lake Trail and finally back to the parking lot. Whew! In all we went approximately 11 miles.

Did this trail in the reverse direction camping at Sunrise Camp for the night and continuing up and over the ridge on the second day which afforded us much better views given the weather. We tried to do a side trip to Fremont lookout but the fog rolled in. There was about 8 inches of snow at Sunrise and much more as we got higher and more exposed. I'd recommend having some traction and maybe even snowshoes after this point in the year. But those views were amazing on the clear day, it felt like Rainier was right in our faces.

Superbe tour avec des vues sur le mont Rainier à couper le souffle

Thursday, August 11, 2016

One of my favorites so far after moving to Seattle, WA from Finland early 2015. Mainly because you get to see the diversity of the beautiful nature we have here and the views are just awesome. It's a very scenic trail.

recorded Rainier long