Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail

Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail is a 9.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 9.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,562 feet Route Type: Loop

From Puyallup, east 52 miles on Highway 410 to Sunrise Road in Mount Rainier National Park. Turn right and drive 15 miles to the trailhead at Sunrise Visitor Center. Sunrise Park Road typically closes for the winter approximately mid-October until late-June. Check with NPS for trailhead accessibility and current conditions.

I missed the good weather for this trail by about two days. Expecting 60's, 70's, I was met with 30s and rain/snow. It was still beautiful along the ridgeline but down in the valley, there was very little to be seen in the way of wildlife and we spent most of our time walking in a whiteout of clouds. I'd like to come back and try this one when the weather is better. I still haven't seen Rainier. Fog was too thick.

Amazing hike to Mount Rainier! As New Hampshire natives, where our trails are rock scrambles straight up the sides of the mountains, we found the walking on dirt path to be fairly easy to moderate to First and Second Burroughs. The last leg to Third Burroughs was a little more challenging but completely worth it! We were lucky to have perfectly clear weather and we felt like we could reach out and touch Rainier. Jaw dropping views of the giant and its glaciers. We also saw marmots, pikas, and one mountain goat. 4 elk also crossed the road ahead of us on the drive up to the parking lot, making it a great wildlife day!

This hike was epic! Harder than I thought, probably because you have to go up and down and up and down to reach the third Burroughs. The extra hills are totally worth it. Once you’re at the third, you feel like you could reach out and touch rainier! I did this hike solo; came in just under 10 miles and 4 hours with a break for lunch. Very very windy so hold on to your gear!

6.3 mile round trip with family. Awesome views! Saw a couple of young kids doing the whole hike. Beautiful beautiful day up at Sunrise trailhead. Don’t let simple overcast below keep you from coming up.

Cold and very windy on the top. But amazing view of rainier if there is no cloud. Otherwise, you can enjoy the move of the cloud.

Just about a perfect day. It has been 4 years since we completed this last. Upper 60’s to low 70’s light clouds and not much traffic on the trail. Just a little rain at the end of trail just before hitting the parking lot.

Beautiful hike. Good elevation change. Views from2nd and 3rd Burroughs spectacular!

Really nice trail that I have done it yesterday.

9/2/19 * This trail was amazing, only made it to the second Burroughs. Amazing views. It’s a steep hike but not too annoying. Definitely worth doing, even if you don’t make it to the third Burroughs it’s still a great hike.

It was an awesome hike! But very challenging at the very end for the 3rd Burrough, the weather was perfect and clean! You could easily see all the enchantment peaks like Mt. Stuart and dragonfly next to Colchuck lake!

Hands down one of the best hikes I've ever done. The whole trail is just wonderful. Absolutely beautiful views of Rainier. Make it to the 3rd burrough you won't be disappointed. There's something special about being that close to the mountain. Clouds came and went but it made it look even cooler. For sure a strenuous hike. Foolishly didn't bring anything to snack on and was starving by the time I was back. Took 5 hours with plenty of rest and photo breaks.

Awesome views of mt. Rainier! It was an excellent day with awesome weather!

31 Aug 2019 - I started this hike from the Sunrise parking lot right around Sunrise & had the trail, all to myself - all the way to the 3rd Burrough. If doing the “lollipop” loop, I’d suggest taking the northern trail 1st, then - return on the southern leg. The views are amazing from the start & Just keep getting better, every step you take - with the views culminating at the top of the 3rd Burrough (3rd Burrough also happens to be the most strenuous portion of the hike). From the 3rd - I could see Glacier Peak, Mt Baker & Mt Stuart. Then - looking towards Rainier & the Glaciers are below you - giving the best view of the Glaciers, I’ve yet to find. Take plenty of water, sun screen (Little to No Shade after 1st Burrough) & hiking poles are nice, too. An Amazing Hike!

This was a fantastic day hike. It was moderate, but didn't feel tough as the hills are pretty gradual. The views of Rainier on this trail are unbeatable! You get a great unobstructed view from each of the three burroughs peaks. Dont stop at peak number 2... Number 3 is so much better!

Hiked 08/26/2019. Luckily we got one clear day at Mt. Rainier and so glad we did this hike. We hiked all the way to the 3rd Burroughs. Hike to 2nd Burroughs took us 1 hour but getting back from 3rd to 2nd Burroughs took 1.5 hours. But it was definitely worth it! We got up close with the glaciers and views were breathtaking. If there is one hike you should do in Mt. Rainier this is the one according to us. Took us around 5 hours total. Also crossed paths with mama and cub black bear on the way back after Shadow lake which was cool.

Hiked this trail on 8/20. Took about 6 hours total. Absolutely gorgeous hike. Pretty steep in parts but also a lot of declines to counteract it. AMAZING views of mt. Rainer. We took an alternate route back to mix things up which took us by a cool lake. Would highly recommended this hike! It’s tough but you can do it!

caught a break in the clouds around 11am today and ended up doing all three. I have done quite a few hikes on the paradise side, but was absolutely amazed with the "in your face" views of Mt. Rainier and little Tahoma. Awesome seeing a crevasse field as well. Did the hike minimally with a camel pack, a few snacks, and some trail runners. would suggest decent boots, poles, and a nice wind resistant jacket with a hood and sunscreen for optimal hiking. 5 stars.

It was a foggy and rainy day when I did this hike but it was still a great hike! I liked the different weather with the fog, it was beautiful.

Amazing hiking. We didn't go to the third summit, but we had a great view from the second summit, when the clouds broke. The views of Mt. Rainier and the surround mountains are wonderful. We hiked the loop counter clockwise, and the views were great for the entire hike. We started out before 8am, and had to deal with some fog, but I enjoyed the views when the fog would clear.