Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail

Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sunrise, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

From Puyallup, east 52 miles on Highway 410 to Sunrise Road in Mount Rainier National Park. Turn right and drive 15 miles to the trailhead at Sunrise Visitor Center.

I combined this hike with Fremont Lookout Trail. The signage is good and the trails are easy to follow. The Frozen Lake wasn't a lake when I was there, so it confused me to thinking I was on the wrong trail, but the signs straightened me out :) I hiked to the first and second Burroughs to catch a view of the glacier at a wonderful overlook to eat lunch. The trail to get up the Burroughs is steadily steep and you're walking on shale rock that can easily slip beneath your feet. It's definitely a heart-pumper! From the visitor center most of the trail is in the sun and above tree line, so bring hat, sunscreen, and water. Totally doable if you are used to hiking distances.

Absolutely beautiful, you almost hike up on a cliff trail, with the glacier tops on one side and green lush on the other! Get closest to Mt. Rainier to admire the vertical height of it.
You'll reach a flat land when you reach the end of this trail and it's the most beautiful spot to tent out!
It was snowing and had mixed views when I went up there, but still quite grand!

We hiked all the way to the 3rd burrough. It was a very fun hike but the last burrough was steep

Awesome hike. The trail is moderate. It can get a little cold up by Burroughs 2. It was a little hazy from the smoke today but still worth it.

Awesome!

Amazing trail! Goes right into the heart of Rainier. Small Advice - Do in counter clockwise way to get good sunlight for photography, less hectic and you can rejuvinate in a beautiful lake at the end after all the hard work :) Must go...

This trail was amazing. I'll be back soon.

Great hike! We did it with 2 kids

Beautiful hike. I did the loop counter-clockwise going from the parking lot, along Sourdough Ridge trail, past Frozen Lake, up to the First and Second Burroughs. I did not go to the Third because #1, there was a snowfield to cross, and #2, I am a big girl and I was ready to head back after the second peak. On the way back I took the Sunrise Rim trail to get different scenery, and I am glad I did. I spotted a White Barred Owl along the trail!! It took me about 5 hours to do the loop, but that includes the 30-45 minutes of relaxing at the second peak that I did.