Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail

Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sunrise, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

From Puyallup, east 52 miles on Highway 410 to Sunrise Road in Mount Rainier National Park. Turn right and drive 15 miles to the trailhead at Sunrise Visitor Center.

Great hike with some good weather. Clear view of Mt Rainier.

I combined this hike with Fremont Lookout Trail. The signage is good and the trails are easy to follow. The Frozen Lake wasn't a lake when I was there, so it confused me to thinking I was on the wrong trail, but the signs straightened me out :) I hiked to the first and second Burroughs to catch a view of the glacier at a wonderful overlook to eat lunch. The trail to get up the Burroughs is steadily steep and you're walking on shale rock that can easily slip beneath your feet. It's definitely a heart-pumper! From the visitor center most of the trail is in the sun and above tree line, so bring hat, sunscreen, and water. Totally doable if you are used to hiking distances.

Absolutely beautiful, you almost hike up on a cliff trail, with the glacier tops on one side and green lush on the other! Get closest to Mt. Rainier to admire the vertical height of it.
You'll reach a flat land when you reach the end of this trail and it's the most beautiful spot to tent out!
It was snowing and had mixed views when I went up there, but still quite grand!

We hiked all the way to the 3rd burrough. It was a very fun hike but the last burrough was steep

Awesome hike. The trail is moderate. It can get a little cold up by Burroughs 2. It was a little hazy from the smoke today but still worth it.

Awesome!

Amazing trail! Goes right into the heart of Rainier. Small Advice - Do in counter clockwise way to get good sunlight for photography, less hectic and you can rejuvinate in a beautiful lake at the end after all the hard work :) Must go...

This trail was amazing. I'll be back soon.

Great hike! We did it with 2 kids

Beautiful hike. I did the loop counter-clockwise going from the parking lot, along Sourdough Ridge trail, past Frozen Lake, up to the First and Second Burroughs. I did not go to the Third because #1, there was a snowfield to cross, and #2, I am a big girl and I was ready to head back after the second peak. On the way back I took the Sunrise Rim trail to get different scenery, and I am glad I did. I spotted a White Barred Owl along the trail!! It took me about 5 hours to do the loop, but that includes the 30-45 minutes of relaxing at the second peak that I did.

We began our hike to Burroughs 2 via Sunrise Rim trail which is designated as moderate but in our view it was somewhere in between moderate and easy. In spite of the BC fires visibility was still very good. The vistas along the way are amazing. Taking the sunrise rim trail provided some shade coverage. The hike was a gradual climb all the way to Burroughs 2. We think back now and tell ourselves why didn't we continue to Burroughs 3. Our suggestion is to leave time enough to complete Burroughs 3. Yesterday you could see patches of snow still remaining even with 80 degree tempts. the views of the eastern side on Mount Rainier where second to none.
We descended via Frozen Lake and Sourdough which was a gradual decent with Mount Rainier to our back and views of the valley below as you approached the visitors center. Highly recommend this hike. Plan ahead and arrive early to begin the hike.

Amazing view of Mt. Rainier from the top! You are super close to the mountain and it is amazing! Just did it today and visibility was pretty good considering the smoke that still lingers from the Canada Wildfires. We could see most of the peaks that were close by and the top of Rainier unil around 3 when it started to get more hazy.

Tough trail towards the end. The view from the second burrough is incredible but it's even better if you hike all the way to the third burrough!

Amazing.

Best one so far!

We went up to the Second Burroughs Mountain and there wasn't too much snow. There was an early spot of right of snow right before the Skyline Rim Trail and up to the Third Burroughs Mountain but still not bad. Be careful of your steps and enjoy the views. We saw a group of 30 or so mountain goats and a marmot happy to near hikers. A great trip!

The view doesn't get better than this. Throughout the trail is a view. Also on one side of the loop you will go through a very narrow snowfield and a drop off to the right. I recommend good hiking boots and trekking poles. Snow is melting and it gets real slippery. Other than that area once you pass it, it's definitely worth it. Safety first!

I really enjoyed this hike ... first off I'm not a die hard hiker but I try to hike once a month between March and October. I've done hikes in Oregon & WA . This by far is my favorite. You got a view of the mountain almost the whole time . Going in early July was a risk but it worked out . Snow in spots but if it were easy every yahoo would do it . Didn't make it to the 3rd Burroughs but I'll definitely be back to complete the mission . I consider this a moderate hike . A lot of great views . Even though there was a bunch of snow it was like 50-60 degrees up there