Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail

Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Packwood, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

From Puyallup, east 52 miles on Highway 410 to Sunrise Road in Mount Rainier National Park. Turn right and drive 15 miles to the trailhead at Sunrise Visitor Center.

Beautiful hike. I did the loop counter-clockwise going from the parking lot, along Sourdough Ridge trail, past Frozen Lake, up to the First and Second Burroughs. I did not go to the Third because #1, there was a snowfield to cross, and #2, I am a big girl and I was ready to head back after the second peak. On the way back I took the Sunrise Rim trail to get different scenery, and I am glad I did. I spotted a White Barred Owl along the trail!! It took me about 5 hours to do the loop, but that includes the 30-45 minutes of relaxing at the second peak that I did.

We began our hike to Burroughs 2 via Sunrise Rim trail which is designated as moderate but in our view it was somewhere in between moderate and easy. In spite of the BC fires visibility was still very good. The vistas along the way are amazing. Taking the sunrise rim trail provided some shade coverage. The hike was a gradual climb all the way to Burroughs 2. We think back now and tell ourselves why didn't we continue to Burroughs 3. Our suggestion is to leave time enough to complete Burroughs 3. Yesterday you could see patches of snow still remaining even with 80 degree tempts. the views of the eastern side on Mount Rainier where second to none.
We descended via Frozen Lake and Sourdough which was a gradual decent with Mount Rainier to our back and views of the valley below as you approached the visitors center. Highly recommend this hike. Plan ahead and arrive early to begin the hike.

Amazing view of Mt. Rainier from the top! You are super close to the mountain and it is amazing! Just did it today and visibility was pretty good considering the smoke that still lingers from the Canada Wildfires. We could see most of the peaks that were close by and the top of Rainier unil around 3 when it started to get more hazy.

Tough trail towards the end. The view from the second burrough is incredible but it's even better if you hike all the way to the third burrough!

Amazing.