Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(466)
Mount Rainier National Park

Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail is a 9.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 9.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,562 feet Route Type: Loop

From Puyallup, east 52 miles on Highway 410 to Sunrise Road in Mount Rainier National Park. Turn right and drive 15 miles to the trailhead at Sunrise Visitor Center. Sunrise Park Road typically closes for the winter approximately mid-October until late-June. Check with NPS for trailhead accessibility and current conditions.

This isn’t so much a review as a quick update based on our experience today. The entrance to the main road leading to the trailhead is currently closed to traffic. We ran into a park ranger entering this road, who told us that the road is tentatively going to open back up on June 4th. This was his best guest. We still went ahead and hiked down the road which is open to out and back hikers and cyclists. It would have been a little far for us to hike up to the trailhead, so we hiked down the road for a mile and trail blazed through a quarter mile of woods down to the white river. The river was very low, so we elected to hike down the river bed about 4 miles instead of following the road. Pretty stunning views of rainier despite not being on the actual trail. Can’t wait to come back when it’s open!

One of my favorite hikes ever

My wife and I hiked this late September. We loved it. Only went to Burroughs 1 via Frozen Lake. It was cold and cloudy with some fog or low clouds. But when we got to the top it cleared up for awhile. Mount Rainier looked so close! What a gorgeous mountain. After a snack we hiked back the loop on glacier trail which was real nice. Great views of Emmons Glacier and White River (?), lakes and nice woods. Highly recommend this hike.

Hiked early on 10/14 and it was supposed to be mostly cloudy...instead I got allll sunshine. Start at sunrise and you may even get that gorgeous orange/pink glow the rising sun reflects off the snowy peak. The clouds always gravitate towards the mountain in the afternoon so, again, go early. I took the trail clockwise. The second half of the loop was tricky with icy footsteps right next to three ledge for at least half a mile. It was sow going with no poles or spikes but still doable and worth it. Also worth it to go to the second burrough! Highly recommend for gorgeous “Bob Ross” painted views of the mountains surround by “happy” trees. :-)

Trail is pretty snow packed 6OCT19! Would recommend taking the route furthest from the entrance of the visitor center up to Burroughs 1. We ended up taking the route closest to the visitor center and food /gift shop and once past frozen lake it was completely covered in snow. Would not recommend hiking the trail without trekking poles and micro spikes. All in all it was a great hike though, we only got to Burroughs 1&2 due to snow and time. Ended up around 6.7 miles total. I would also recommend bringing some food/snacks/lots of water due to the fact that since season is coming to an end all facilities are closed at sunrise other than a few restrooms. If you plan on hiking anything past white river entrance in and up to sunrise I highly recommend visiting the national park page to check if road conditions are safe and whether or not sunrise will be open. Other than that, if you head out enjoy your time and soak it all in! One of my favorite hikes thus far!

Completely covered in snow on 5 oct 2019. Still made in to boroughs 2! Not recommended for average hikers in snow. I had to dig myself out a few times

We had a terrific hike to 2nd Burroughs Mountain today. The trail had some snow on it but it we didn’t have any trouble finding our way. The views are incredible all along the trail. The ranger told us on the way out that they are closing the Sunrise road tonight in advance of a forecasted storm. They are not sure if it will reopen again this fall.

My husband and I had a great time on the trail today. We had periods of sun when we started out, the mountain was beautiful . Then the wind started up and we had clouds roll in with snow flurries. First snow of the year!

Gorgeous views no matter where you look! However, it is VVVVVEEEEERRRRRYYYYYY windy! I’m 5’1 and 145lbs and was blown over a few times at the top.

You gotta go to the 3rd burrough and get a close up look of the Winthrop.

We hiked a variation of this loop by descending from the Burroughs to Glacier Basin Trail instead of returning to Sunrise. We met family who didn't hike at White River Campground. If you have someone to meet you at White River Campground, I'd highly recommend combining the Burroughs with Glacier Basin. The Burroughs offered spectacular views of Rainier. You really gain a sense of the grandeur of Rainier as there is nothing even comparable in height anywhere near Rainier.

It was cloudy, windy and cold when we ascended Burroughs Mountain, but when the clouds parted we were amazed by the view. I've never seen Mt. Rainier like that. It looked almost close enough to touch. Such an amazing view.

Went with some friends and the view at the end is absolutely stunning. The rocky scenery for most of the hike was kind of boring for me, but boy the end was worth it.

I missed the good weather for this trail by about two days. Expecting 60's, 70's, I was met with 30s and rain/snow. It was still beautiful along the ridgeline but down in the valley, there was very little to be seen in the way of wildlife and we spent most of our time walking in a whiteout of clouds. I'd like to come back and try this one when the weather is better. I still haven't seen Rainier. Fog was too thick.

Amazing hike to Mount Rainier! As New Hampshire natives, where our trails are rock scrambles straight up the sides of the mountains, we found the walking on dirt path to be fairly easy to moderate to First and Second Burroughs. The last leg to Third Burroughs was a little more challenging but completely worth it! We were lucky to have perfectly clear weather and we felt like we could reach out and touch Rainier. Jaw dropping views of the giant and its glaciers. We also saw marmots, pikas, and one mountain goat. 4 elk also crossed the road ahead of us on the drive up to the parking lot, making it a great wildlife day!

This hike was epic! Harder than I thought, probably because you have to go up and down and up and down to reach the third Burroughs. The extra hills are totally worth it. Once you’re at the third, you feel like you could reach out and touch rainier! I did this hike solo; came in just under 10 miles and 4 hours with a break for lunch. Very very windy so hold on to your gear!

6.3 mile round trip with family. Awesome views! Saw a couple of young kids doing the whole hike. Beautiful beautiful day up at Sunrise trailhead. Don’t let simple overcast below keep you from coming up.

Cold and very windy on the top. But amazing view of rainier if there is no cloud. Otherwise, you can enjoy the move of the cloud.

Just about a perfect day. It has been 4 years since we completed this last. Upper 60’s to low 70’s light clouds and not much traffic on the trail. Just a little rain at the end of trail just before hitting the parking lot.

Beautiful hike. Good elevation change. Views from2nd and 3rd Burroughs spectacular!

Really nice trail that I have done it yesterday.

9/2/19 * This trail was amazing, only made it to the second Burroughs. Amazing views. It’s a steep hike but not too annoying. Definitely worth doing, even if you don’t make it to the third Burroughs it’s still a great hike.

It was an awesome hike! But very challenging at the very end for the 3rd Burrough, the weather was perfect and clean! You could easily see all the enchantment peaks like Mt. Stuart and dragonfly next to Colchuck lake!

Hands down one of the best hikes I've ever done. The whole trail is just wonderful. Absolutely beautiful views of Rainier. Make it to the 3rd burrough you won't be disappointed. There's something special about being that close to the mountain. Clouds came and went but it made it look even cooler. For sure a strenuous hike. Foolishly didn't bring anything to snack on and was starving by the time I was back. Took 5 hours with plenty of rest and photo breaks.