Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail

Burroughs Mountain Loop Trail is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sunrise, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

From Puyallup, east 52 miles on Highway 410 to Sunrise Road in Mount Rainier National Park. Turn right and drive 15 miles to the trailhead at Sunrise Visitor Center.

Great views or MR. interesting to sit and watch the clouds change around the mountain. One area approx .25 mi had steep dropoffs and was a bit rocky, narrow path. Otherwise all good.
Finally saw goats! There were in distance but happy to see goats. Also saw 4 young deer, 1 marmot and many chipmunks.
Overall J enjoyed Paradise skyline trail much better.

Outstanding weather today, started about 10 am & stopped at Burroughs Mtn #2 for lunch. Views of Rainier were in & out re top due to cloud cover, but still worth the trip! Does get cold up top, we had on every layer we owned, Polar fleece & puffy jackets, hats & head band for extra ear warmth.

Treck up some work, easy for experienced hikers. Take your time, soak in views! Including sheep, an eagle, and several annoying pica up top... Just an all around outstanding day!

great hike

Did a beautiful, but cold sunrise hike to First and Second Burroughs on 8/25/18. It was WAY too windy and cold to continue to Third Burroughs. I’ll definitely have to make it the next time :)

Hiked on September 14th, started from Parking lot at Sunrise. Started hiking around 9am, cold with light snow . Hiked to the 3rd mountain, which had much more snow, even lost the trail a couple times. Very peaceful and quiet with a beautiful view of glaciers. Not tough hiking at all, dress warm as the weather has changed on the Mountain. Total round trip with a lunch break on 2nd mountain (30 minutes) and several stops to take pictures was about 4hrs.

Really great loop and not too difficult. Spectacular views all around. You will see people on the trail, however we started around 10am on a weekday and it wasn’t too bad. Weekends recommend going early

Loved this hike. Climbed all three Burroughs, and the third is worth the push. Don’t be deceived by the sign that says Burroughs Mountains Trail near the third Burrough path. I made the mistake of following it for 3/4 of a mile down. I then had to climb back out to get on the correct path. Just keep going up the next hill. I saw a mountain goat on my way up to the third Burrough. Epic views, and yes, feels like you can touch the glaciers.

At a ranger's recommendation, did this clockwise for great views the whole way up. Perfect weather & clear skiesmeant it was definitely worth going to the 3rd Burroughs and spending some time enjoying the glacier views.

Did a trip on Friday & views are simply unbelievable.
The day we went here, it was partly cloudy & as such, we had to exercise patience for unobstructed view of summit. Just one tip, plan to reach 1/2/3 peak before or around noon. Since this trail is from East side of Mt. Rainier, after 2pm or so, the sun goes to other side of summit. Bit steep for 3rd peak, but the views are totally worth it.

I did a hike up to Burroughs 2 and rested for 45 minutes taking in the unobstructed view of this beautiful mountain! Totally surreal! I’m a little heavy but am a regular walker so in order for me to lose weight I chose this hike for results and it paid off! As I sat and snacked I was looking at the third Burroughs and wanting to hike it but was worried about running out of gas. I did this hike taking my time resting 15 seconds every 60 steps
I started out at 7 am and by the time I reached the 2nd Burroughs (9:20 am) about 20 people had beat me but I succeeded but oh what an advantage you fit people have over us heavier folk! Hahaha round trip took me 5 1/2 hours not counting 45 minute lunch break! I’m coming back next weekend to eat lunch on the third Burroughs.

Not too tough, not too easy. Many different glances at Rainier: Even though you get about as close as you can, as you move away it's presence grows even larger and larger. She lures you in and then as you walk away begs you to return.

Started the trail at sunrise today and loved every aching minute of the 7 hours it took us to finish the hike!

I'd recommend an early start if you want to avoid the crowds. We met maybe a handful of people on our way up to the Burroughs and didn't have any issues with parking at the trailhead. It's definitely chilly early in the morning though, so bring a jacket and wear layers.

I did the trail counterclockwise and loved watching the sun come up over the mountains, especially as we were heading up to the First Burrough. The climb up to the Second is steady but manageable (on our way down, we saw plenty of families with small children on the trail). And I will say that even though you'll see most people stopping at the Second Burroughs, definitely continue on to the Third! It's about 800 ft of steady climbing, but so worth it.

I would recommend that if you plan on doing the full 9-10 mile hike to bring water, sun protection, and maybe a snack. Although watch out for the ground squirrels! They know no fear when it comes to food.

One of the best hikes at this park. A lot of people stop at the second Burrow, but the most dramatic view is at the third. Enter clockwise if you want continuous views that blow your mind. Couldn’t stop to eat without chipmunks trying to nibble at your hands or looking in your backpack. Don’t feed wildlife!

Great hike and beautiful view but I wouldn’t have gone if I knew I had to pay $30 for a one day pass to go up there. Also way over crowded and a lot of tourist who don’t move out of the way for experienced hikers.

Great hike. Made it to 2nd Burroughs but did not continue since I didn’t have water or sun protection. Weather was amazing. Trail was easy to follow and connected with several other trails.

The view from here is always fantastic. We went clockwise which I think was better due to the rough terrain and a snowfield we had to traverse. Downhill would have been much more difficult. The only thing I didn’t like about the hike were the flies and mosquitoes. They were relentless every time we stopped to look at the mountain and take pictures. No way we were stopping for lunch here. Although they were annoying, I still would recommend this hike.

What an incredible hike! If you can get to the Third Burroughs, it’s worth it. Hiked this 7/22/18, and there was one short snow crossing between the First and Second Burroughs—this one is probably the most dangerous out of all the snow crossings (based on where you’d end up if you did slip and fall) but, there was a decent platform built up with footprints to step in so it wasn’t too slippery and didn’t seem too scary. There were 3 more snow crossings on the Third Burroughs—these were fairly easy to cross. Plus, if you did happen to slip and fall, you’d slide and still end up on the hiking path. People were crossing the snow in nike tennis shoes. Just do what you’d be comfortable with. A park ranger recommended taking the Frozen Lake trail on the way to the Burroughs and taking Sunrise Rim and Shadow Lake on the way back to Sunrise, and I think that is probably the more enjoyable way to hike this trail. Trails are well marked and well trafficked. The parking lot at Sunrise was very close to full around 10:30am on a Sunday. Don’t forget bug spray and sunscreen!

This is now one of my favorite hikes ! I combined this with Fremont lookout and did about 9 miles total. The weather was perfect, definitely bring sunscreen and BUG SPRAY for the top of the second Burrough. The views were spectacular and the trail is so easy to follow as everything is marked really well. I didn’t even need a map. Lastly, get there early ! I got there at 830 and the lot was at least 1/4 to 1/3 full. When i left at 2, the whole lot and road were full. Enjoy !

It was awesome)))

Worth every ache and pain I have in my body lol! You MUST arrive as early as possible. We got there at 8am and the parking lot was about 1/3 full. When we left about 12pm the lot was full and cars were parked all along the road. Then there was at least a 1 mile line up at the rangers station.

Beautiful views with lots of other hikers on a Saturday. Weather changes quickly and while we were hot climbing up we could have used light gloves while enjoying the views at the top looking out at the glaciers. We saw a large herd of mountain goats down one slope and one pika in the rocks. Really great hike that we all enjoyed.

We hiked this yesterday. Started towards Frozen Lake, but views would have been better from the opposite entrance. Did Boroughs 1 & 2, had three snow passes which were melting and very slippery. Wasn’t easy without poles, but we made it. Wouldn’t recommend for anyone with strong fear of heights or without good grip on boots. Views were stunning, wildflowers were lovely. Stopped for lunch at Shadow Lake, but the bugs were biting hard despite bug spray, so had to abandon. Overall still an amazing hike.

I started about 7am from the parking lot. Weather was nice and cool in the morning with clear skies. I made it to Burroughs #3 by 11am with a few stops so I could take it all in. The views are absolutely breathtaking. I was able to beat the crowds, as I saw from my hike back to Burroughs #2. That being said, if you get to #2 and it's still early in the day, you might as well venture to #3. I was fortunate to see a bear on the hike back. I couldn't have asked for a better day hike. Parking lot to Burroughs #3 and back using loop - 9.8 miles.

Amazing views on a clear day! Some patches of snow on slopes. My family of 4 were able to overcome but I would recommend an early start as it got hot later in the day.

It was cool and rainy today at the start of the trail. It turned very windy and cold a ways into the trail. There was snow still on the sides of the mountain, and with the wind, I decided to turn around. Other people were also turning around. I bet it is an amazing hike in good weather! Will definitely be back!!

Hiked all around majestic Mt. Rainier in August of 2017. On our last full day we woke early and drove directly the Burroughs trail and hiked 1, 2 and 3. For me it was the best hike of Mt. Rainier. Spectacular and easily doable for anyone used to hiking 5 plus miles with elevation changes. Saw a fisher close up and several bear from a distance. Highly recommend this hike. For those who get around, it was not as hard as the Fiery Gizzard Trail in TN. Would love to hike the Burroughs trail again! Enjoy.

Nice trail, kind of far from the view of the lake though. Wish there was a way to get closer

Great hike with some good weather. Clear view of Mt Rainier.

I combined this hike with Fremont Lookout Trail. The signage is good and the trails are easy to follow. The Frozen Lake wasn't a lake when I was there, so it confused me to thinking I was on the wrong trail, but the signs straightened me out :) I hiked to the first and second Burroughs to catch a view of the glacier at a wonderful overlook to eat lunch. The trail to get up the Burroughs is steadily steep and you're walking on shale rock that can easily slip beneath your feet. It's definitely a heart-pumper! From the visitor center most of the trail is in the sun and above tree line, so bring hat, sunscreen, and water. Totally doable if you are used to hiking distances.