Buck Creek to High Pass

Buck Creek to High Pass is a 35.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Methow, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October.

Point to Point

bridge out

Great trail, camps spread out before you start the steeper grade at 7 mi.. Buck creek pass is a further 3 miles with some 2000 feet additional elevation gain. From the trailhead to the pass it's 10 miles and around 3300 feet in elevation gain. From the pass the views are spectacular. Definitely will be going back. On top I saw 2 camps but if you don't hike with extra water you would want to re-supply water at buck creek a half a mile back toward the trailhead. I could easily spend a full day up at buck creek pass doing side trails and climbing. The weather on top was deteriorating pretty fast and the camps are fairly exposed so while I was there so I hiked the mile and a half further to Small Creek and camped there.

If you have several days to play with take a good look at the map. There is a lot of good hiking around in the area. Ran into 2 guys who had gone from the phelps trailhead which makes a loop. This trail also hooks into section k of the pct.

On a side note next time I will be staying the night at one of the camps before the grade and hiking up to the pass the next day to give myself a full day up top.

As good as it gets! Great hike up to bucks pass

Thursday, August 22, 2013

I'm guessing it was almost 10 miles from the trailhead at Trinity just to get to Buck Creek Pass and then another 4+ miles to the High Pass area so I think it is closer to 14 miles just one way - a little far for most people to do as a day hike. The Buck Creek stretch through the trees was nice and the incline was gradual but the High Pass section is what makes it all worth it. Offers great views of green meadows, jagged peaks, and some of the best views of Glacier Peak that you will find. A loop version of the trail connecting over to Spider Meadow is a popular alternative, but I didn't have the time to do so.

I hiked to Buck Creek Pass on day 1 - there were several campsites to choose from and a stream that offered the main water source. I hiked up to High Pass on day 2 - the trail starts off with some gradual switchbacks around Liberty Cap and offers great views of Glacier Peak and the meadows to the west. Almost all of the High Pass trail provides unobstructed views (no shade either). As you get to the first pass, you will be treated with views to the east of Fortress, Chiwawa Mtn etc. From that point on the trail switches back and forth along the edge of a high ridge. I made it to the north side of Triad Lake where the views are amazing. One of my favorite hikes so far. I spent another night at the same campsite before heading out on day 3.