Boulder River Trail

Boulder River Trail is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Arlington, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,646 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

partially paved

The waterfall is unnamed, which is surprising considering its height and beauty. The trail up to the falls is an easy hike, but once at the falls, if you want to get down to the base of the falls, there is a bit of a scramble down (and up).

Warning! We attempted to reach the Boulder River TH this morning and had to make a tricky turn around about 2 miles in. Even driving my AWD it was a bit sketchy considering the snow is still quite deep and the road has multiple blow downs to navigate. I was glad to make it out safely and will be back once the snow melts because I love this hike!

Great time to go. The waterfall was raging. It was getting dark on the wayback and it started to snow which helped with finding out way back.

Very few on the trail yesterday. Muddy, wet , and cold. Great views of the river and waterfalls .

icy

Pot holes on road but mazda 3 made it fine. Take your time. Hike is really pretty and pretty easy. Didn’t get the last mile as I had to get back to town. Would do again. Great quick hike getaway.

I like this hike. Road up to trail head is bad but worth it for the hike.

Beautiful sweet wonderful hike. A little muddy here and there. Would do it again in a heart beat.

Great trail. Highly recommend if you’re looking for a nice easy trail with a pleasant river forest and a couple waterfalls. The pot holes in the first two miles are manageable. The back half of the road has some not so manageable ones that you either need the clearance or a vehicle you don’t care about. Also, I made the mistake of wearing jeans. Don’t do that. They will get soaked if not from rain, from vegetation.

Nice trail with waterfalls and some good river views for picnicking. After 4-5+ miles the trail was overgrown so we turned around.

Took the family, youngest 2years. we ended up at the falls so didn't complete the full trail. Watch the little ones, edges of trails are dangerous but if you guide them the trail is plenty wide enough. Decent incline/declines to get a good workout. Parking was decent but crowded. I can see that as the only negative, well that and the road in is pretty bad, ashame FS doesn't maintain these roads. potholes are huge, deep! I can't see a basic car getting through without damage.

Great trail! Three waterfalls along the way to enjoy. A few spots are a bit over grown but completely manageable. The three mile road up to the trail head is the hardest part due to potholes. Would highly recommend an SUV.

Hiked on June 30th. Absolutely beautiful day. Lots of water falls. River was clear and gorgeous. Beautiful ferns. Totally moderate hike. Road in had lots of potholes, but passable if you drive slow. Do it!

ohv/off road driving

We were going to hike this on our way back from the Methow valley but after 7 minutes on the road we gave up. It was so full of huge potholes that we didn’t want to spend the time driving up and back. Might be worth it though if you have the time and a car that doesn’t mind the bouncing.

Super fun! My ACD loved it, easy enough but didn’t go all the way. Stopped to play in the water for awhile.

Beautiful! The river water was stunning. Road in is super sucky, but trail for the most part is really well maintained.

Beautiful trail and worth the hike to see the beautiful waterfalls. We hiked with three under 6 so we only went to the first waterfall. There’s a great place to picnic right by it. Hike down to the picnic spot is steep but doable with kids. Overall this trail was a hit. But BEWARE...the last three miles to the trails is AWFUL. Potholes the size of the road. We made it in a van but do not recommend it. SUV with lots of clearance is recommended.

Beautiful hike. Good path, rocky in some spots. Lots of trees for shade. Saw quite a few other hikers but wasn’t over crowded. Quite a few kids also. The only part of the experience that I did not like was the road getting up to trail head. It was horrible. Probably wouldn’t go back only because of the road. Also looked like there had been several car break ins where the parking was. There was piles of shattered glass in 3 spots in parking area.

The hike itself is Beautiful. I haven't hiked in several years and was able to do this hike. We did a total of 6 miles. My nine year old son did very well. Only complaint is the three miles of huge potholes that you encounter before you get to the trailhead. I wish someone would fix that. Other than that...Amazing and so Beautiful!