Boulder River Trail

Boulder River Trail is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Arlington, Washington that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

The waterfall is unnamed, which is surprising considering its height and beauty. The trail up to the falls is an easy hike, but once at the falls, if you want to get down to the base of the falls, there is a bit of a scramble down (and up).

Beautiful hike. Easy for the kids (9,7,4 years old) with nice payoffs along the way. We saw a bear near the trailhead (from our vehicle) so be prepared.

Was absolutely blown away by how beautiful this hike was. I brought my two young cousins along with me (7 & 10) and they had an absolute blast, and no problems keeping pace.

There are, however, many points of the trail with steep drop offs on the side so keep an eye on kids! All in all a beautiful stroll through the woods that I will most definitely be returning to!..

Also be warned that the road leading to hike is unpaved with some potholes.

Loved this hike! Pretty waterfalls. Took small kids and was a bit nervous at certain points where ledges were present.

Did this hike twice. First one early spring of 2017 and early in the season around February 2018. Still quite a bit of snow at the time, but the hike that much more beautiful. First half is the best part with a few waterfalls to oogle at, but after that it's a narrow and uneventful hike. Camped at the end by the river with enough room for a few tents or hammoks. Easy hike with no snow, moderate difficulty with snow.

Exactly what you expect of Washington waterfalls and scenery. The hike was beautiful! It is quite a long drive down a dirt road to get to the trailhead, but definitely worth it.

Trail was great almost no mud. Is pretty long and many parts further down the trail are VERY over grown so it feels like at some points your walking through a mini jungle haha.
Overall great the best views are at the beginning of the hike which might be why it felt longer.

Hardly any traffic but quite a few campers on the trail.

Also the road to the trail head is rough

Easy trail to beautiful waterfalls. The potholes going to the trail head are no joke, so if you have a truck or a vehicle that can handle gravel, dirt road use that.

Went this past Saturday and it was such a beautiful day! Got there around 9:40am and there were a good amount of cars. The trail is well groomed! It was a great hike and an adventure for our 4 year old! The waterfall is beautiful and it is a must to climb down to the bottom. Our trip was around an 8 mile round trip. Found a cute secluded area to have lunch by the water. Would definitely do it again! Happy we drove my Jeep though. The road to the trail has A LOT of potholes! There’s not way to avoid them so drive slow.

I went this past Sunday. it rained all day Saturday so the waterfalls were fantastic. The river was high and as equally wonderful. The trail was very went in places and incredibly muddy the further you went. I ended up doing seven miles roundtrip instead of eight. Can't wait to do it again! be prepared to go under trees and go over a few.
The road to the trail is pretty awful. be prepared to go slow. The potholes will swallow everything (small children, cars, etc). Don't let that discourage you.

3/27/2018

Great hike! Amazing waterfalls, beautiful mossy trees, fun bridges to cross, and is just gorgeous!
I would recommend going now thru spring so you can see the raging river and gushing waterfalls before they dry up by summer. Hike is mostly level with gradual incline, with a few steeper up and down inclines.
We only hiked 3/4 of the way today, as we hit snow towards the summit of the hike, and most of the beautiful scenery was where we were with not much better views towards the top.
The roads getting to the trailhead were nothing but potholes! The potholes can’t be avoided and take up the entire road; just drive slow and you’ll get through them. Definitely will go again!

Awesome trail with some spectacular waterfalls!

02/22 The recent snows make getting to the trailhead unlikely for anyone who doesn’t have 4WD or chains and a bit of clearance. The potholes are pretty brutal, I doubt a car would make it even without the snow.

As for the trail, there’s 8-10 inches on most of it with a decent boot path. An otherwise easy hike is made a little more difficult in the snow, the up side was that I had the entire place to myself :) I got a late start and didn’t want to be hiking back in the dark, so I can’t attest to the reward at the end. However, I was rewarded with a number of large, partially frozen waterfalls along the way, as well as other pretty sights. This is one I’ll definitely come back to when I have more time or once the snow has melted.

Super easy but immensely enjoyable trail with options to venture into mildly more demanding actions, like going down the the shore of the falls. I took two kids; 10 and 8 years old with me and they loved the Falls and seemed to find the difficulty of the trail in line with their desires.
Tried to go nearly a year ago and got stuck in snow on the slightly perilous drive to the trail head. So it was nice to finally see this one today.
Population traffic was healthy but not Rattlesnake Ledge absurd.

nice hike, awesome falls....especially in a downpour. worth going for a rainy easy hike.

Great easy walk. The falls are nice and are pretty early on. Light crampons would have been helpful for several slick spots but mostly easily doable in regular snow boots. Lots of potholes on the road leading to the trailhead.

One of the easiest longest hikes I've done. Thought that there was going to be more to see at the top but the elevation gain wasn't rough. It was more of a good nice walk in nature. Easy for families, pets, and friends. Alot of room to walk. Once you hit the lake with the big boulders you're at the destination. I've hiked 9 miles on this going off trail just to explore and look for more excitement but didn't seem to see much. it's an easy shot straight there and back. camping is permitted as well.

I love this trail. It's always in good shape and it's a great quick and easy hike for kids :)

Beautiful

This is the best rainy day hike ever! It gets five stars only when its wet and rainy and you really need to hike somewhere. Nice trail along the river with all sorts of water falls and lush green colors. The trail just ends as it goes no where so turning around early is not a big deal. Save this one for a wet day

Excellent trail for toddlers. Wide trail with plenty of shade. Although wide, the trail does have a steep drop off the side in many areas so we just kept our 2 year old on the inside. It's a bit of a scramble with toddlers down to the water but manageable, in particular with a hiking pole. Traffic on the trail was not much, we only encountered a handful of other hikers.

To the first set of water falls is definitely easy! I would recommend for younger kids and families. Which is about 1.5 miles in. I understand the rating of easy with that. Anything beyond that though definitely gets harder!

Definitely wouldn't rate this Trail as "easy" compared to most of the trails rated as the same on here. Best part of the trail is the falls but that's only 1.5 miles in, the rest of the trail past a certain point was overgrown and there was no definitive end but did lead to the river which I can assume was the end as we had walked way past the 4.4 miles point for the out and back trek.

We drove 2 hours to get here and it was worth it!! What a beautiful place! We took 4 kids ranging from 7-13. They all loved it! It took us about 3 hours to hike. It was a little much for my 62 year old dad but he accomplished it and feels great about it! We will definitely be back!

Warning: several car windows were smashed in at the trailhead. We decided not to stay because of it. Very disappointing because we planned to backpack in and stay the night. I did call the police to report. So sad for the 5 or so cars that were vandalized.

fyi there are 4 cars with Windows smashed out at the trailhead parking, we opted to not stay

Rad trail. Perfect weather. Double waterfall. Got here with my dogs around 330, everyone was coming down for the day, so it was perfect! Didn't do the whole trail but made it to the most important part! We well be back to conquer the whole trail next time! :)

It's so beautiful here! If you're looking for a challenge then look elsewhere, but if you just want to see a couple pretty waterfalls and have a nice walk this is a good spot.

Loved it!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

kid friendly. my two year old had a blast.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Super easy day hike. The best part is the first set of waterfalls about a mile in (be sure to take the path down). The only down side was the last .6 miles were so overgrown we didn't make it to Boulder Ford Campsite. The 3+ mile dirt/gravel road to the trailhead is very pot hole ridden so drive slow. If you have kids or older dogs, it's a great hike.