Boulder Cave Trail

Boulder Cave Trail [CLOSED] is a 1.2 mile out and back trail located near South Cle Elum, Washington that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 173 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

partially paved

As of August 2019, the trail has a tentative open date of September 7, 2019.

Did this hike 9/14/19, it is back open and ready to hike! Great and super easy hike! Great for kids and dogs.

We attempted to do this hike today, August 21, 2019. The trail is closed for construction. They are improving the cave entrance to prevent spread of bat diseases. Tentative open date is Sept 7, 2019. The camp hosts will allow you to use the day area and the rest rooms but will not allow you to go on the trail.

Was a fun family hike the cave is cool and we loved the waterfall.

Ok, let’s start by talking about getting here. When you hit “directions” in the app, it literally takes the GPS coordinates and plots your route. Coming from western Washington it had me turn into a camping area called “Halfway flat”. I drove over a real cool scary bridge and down a gravel road. The sign did say it ended in 2 miles......and I had 2.5 miles to go. I kept going until the end.....which was a dirt cul de sac and a small trail at the end. I haven’t been to the caves in over 16 years, but I thought there’d be more “fan fare” for the caves. Oh well, onto this small trail, which became scary, even crossing a very questionable “McGyver” bridge. As I continued on for the half mile, suddenly I came to this very nice recreation area, Boulder Cave. Lots of parking, pic nick tables, restrooms.....that “fan fare” I mentioned......turns out there is a well marked sign on 410 to the entrance of “Boulder Cave recreation area”.......thanks Google maps. I did talk with a very nice ranger who gave me a tip about a better trail back to my car. As for the trail, a very nice family friendly quick hike and the cave is still cool like I remember! Go have some fun, but go to the actual Boulder Cave recreation site

Great trail for the family! make sure to scramble to the right, to the water fall, once near the cave. you can actually go behind the waterfall!

This is a great hike for the whole family. I brought my 83 yr old mom and she hiked the trail up and back like a champ! The trail has an incline going up most of the way. Make sure you bring flashlights or head lamps to navigate through the cave. Perfect hike, perfect family day.

nice little day hike :)

Very family friendly with a rewarding waterfall and cave. A lot of foot traffic for a Monday morning.

Family & dog friendly there was a lot of foot traffic. I haven’t been to boulder cave since I was a child, so this time around I definitely had to explore a little, it was an easy simple hike and the Water Fall was Beautiful. Glad I hiked in my Chaco sandals, they helped a ton when climbing through the rocks and water to get to the Water Fall. The cave was as cool as I remember. FLASHLIGHT recommended, my phone light wasn’t very bright. I will return again with my Family.

Great trail conditions. Gorgeous views, well worth the drive, short hike but perfect for families with kids of all ages.

Went with my nieces 4 and 6! The hike was very manageable, the cave was great but all we had for light was our phones!!!! Don’t make the same mistake as us, TAKE A FLASHLIGHT!!!

Took the kids on this trail last summer and had a great time . A lot of up hill to get to the caves but the kids were able to hike solo. Don’t forget your flashlights to go inside the cave.

Dog friendly except dogs shouldn't go in the cave. Some steepness but not too much. tons of shade from the trees, some parts with no shade. Amazingly maintained trails going g to and from the cave on both sides. $5 day use fee or if you have a pass that isn't the Discover Pass.

Really quick hike! The cave was the fun part! Bring flashlights!☺️

Quick hike and really pretty cool. Don’t miss the views that look down-into the cave either. The boards get pretty slippery, so be careful. We used a red headlamp to prevent too much light on the bats.

Loved this trail. We hiked it in June 2018. the waterfall near boulder cave is great and so much fun to climb around.

Sat Oct 06 2018

Fun little trek with the kids back in October. The gate was closed but you can just walk on through. Adds a tiny bit of distance but not a big deal. The caves were bigger than I thought. We used headlamps and flashlights and also explored the little waterfall right next to the caves. Kids liked their adventure, with some complaining in between of course. :)

Sat Sep 15 2018

Wanted to do this one again before October, but sadly the trail is closed until May 2019. Guess I’ll have to wait ‘til then...

Fri Sep 14 2018

Trail is currently closed

Fri Sep 07 2018

trail is off to the left upon arrival. Great trail, well maintained and very beautiful. kid friendly

Sun Sep 02 2018

Lots of FUN, Bring a flashlight!

Thu Aug 16 2018

This was so fun! It's a short hike up a trial that follows devils creek at the bottom of a canyon. There is a lovely waterfall on the outside back of the cave. If you want to climb the large rocks and hike behind the waterfall (we did), be very careful as it is very slippery. The inside of the cave is really cool, with devils creek running thru it. Stay on the path, don't walk in the water (no idea how deep it is, currents or rocks) and try not to touch anything due to microorganisms that live there. The whole hike including the cave was so beautiful.....bring your CAMERA!

Fri Aug 03 2018

Nice trail that has a loop through the bat colony cave. Did not see any bats!

Tue Jul 31 2018

Really nice hike plus places to have picnics with the family !!

Sat Jul 14 2018

fun short hike!

Mon Jul 02 2018

Google sent us in from the West but the road is washed out. Come in from the East side. Paved roads the whole way. Great maintained trail up the caves. As you start heading downhill you are almost there. Make sure to do the scramble to the waterfall over the logs and rocks to the back cave. Then head back and do the big cave which will lead you through the pitch black and back up to the main trail. Don’t forget flash light and water friendly shoes :)

Thu Jun 07 2018

was a quick and easy hike. tool my 14 month old with on a pack, and she did great!

Sun Jun 03 2018

Great picnicking area and lots of parking and restrooms. Easy one mile hike, and fun trail that curves through the cave. Didn't see any bats. Make sure and have a flash light. Very neat cliffs, streams and walking trails. Fun/easy trail for kids.

Sat May 26 2018