Boot Lake Loop

Boot Lake Loop is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ridgefield, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and canoeing and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 101 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: This trail is currently closed until June 2019 while coniferous trees are removed to restore the oak woodland habitat. For more information, please see https://www.fws.gov/nwrs/twocolumn.aspx?id=2147607161

Lollipop hike different from AllTrails Map. No Lake overlook or access. Also trail is called Oaks to Wetlands Trail. They are in the process of re-configuring the trail. Beautiful Bridge into Carty Unit of refuge, Oaks, Swans floating in distance on lake, geese and cranes flying overhead, hawks and other songbirds along trail. Views of Lake and birds in distance from bridge and trail through trees.

Wet, rainy, beautiful! Amazing birds

This trail is open 8/30/2019

closed

Trail still closed

closed

Trail is closed

Fri Aug 03 2018

Saw ducks, blue herons, cranes, hawks, several varieties of small birds, deer and nutria. The four hundred year old oaks are amazing.

Sat Dec 09 2017

Lovely hike! I had the place all to myself and loved watching the birds (herons, ducks, geese, towhees, and more!) living it up in their natural habitat. As other people have mentioned, the trail does fork quite a bit but it meets back at the same place. It’s hard to get lost, just be somewhat aware of where you are and you will be fine. Taking a pic of the map at the beginning is a good idea. They ask you to pay an entrance fee of $3/car but it doesn’t seem to be monitored that closely. I just gave what I had $2 and I assume it’s fine. They deserve a few bucks for the beautiful atmosphere they created. Thank you!

Fri Nov 24 2017

Took my two children for a Thanksgiving hike. The refuge is a fantastic place to hike in the fall. The trails are moist, the moss is wet, the mushrooms are growing, the frogs are croaking, and the birds are honking. Make sure to be aware of poison oak and you’ll be fine. No dogs allowed. There is a map of all of the park trails at the entrance. Snap a pic of it and you won’t be confused about where you are going. Beautiful place!

Sat Aug 19 2017

There was poison oak everywhere and closed trails left and right. The trails were not marked well so I wasn't sure if I was going on a trail or just an area clear of brush. Won't be going again

Wed Jul 19 2017

I'm a volunteer at this refuge from time to time, so I am a bit biased. However, if you love nature, birdwatching, and being immersed in natural habitats, this wonderful place is for you.

Wed Jan 04 2017

Great easy hike with a nice length, though the trail forks can be confusing if it's your first time. Many different types of trees and plants are labeled and there's a nice view across the marsh. Went in late December with my friend, not too many people. Just don't be there too late, the gates close by themselves at 5pm

Fri Sep 30 2016

Amazing for wildlife! No dogs allowed.

Wed Sep 21 2016

this was a great hike

Tue Sep 06 2016

My last review didn't save my stars.

Tue Sep 06 2016

Had fun, kids loved it. Someone must of left a rock treasure hunt, the kids found about 4 painted rocks. All of them were painted and hidden under leaves.

Mon Sep 05 2016

Lots of fun! Super easy. Kids loved it too.

Mon Aug 29 2016

We loved the herons and osprey. If you have binoculars and a telephoto lens, bring them.

Mon Aug 08 2016

The blackberries were yummy. The cedar plank long house was amazing. I wish it had been open to go inside. The Garry oaks were very mature and just lovely. But we also saw Doug Fir and many other species. Sandhill Cranes. Duck Potato in the pond. Animal tracks in the mud. Great for small children and all ages.

Mon Aug 01 2016

This is a fantastic trail, and an even better place to go birding. So many different habitats crammed in such a small place. I will definitely return.

Mon Jul 25 2016

Easy trail suitable for families with small children. We saw plenty of wildlife, including a family of muskrats. Bring a camera or binoculars.

Fri Apr 29 2016

Easy trails, very pretty, a lot of variety in the scenery.

Mon Apr 25 2016

very easy trail. perfect for a quite get away.

Sun Apr 03 2016

Nice, easy trail. Didn't see many birds this time, but we will be back.

Thu Jan 21 2016

Went there January 17th this would be my eighth time so many great pictures you can drive around it in 20 minutes it always takes us 3 to 4 hours Picture of the day a swan snatching up a frog that was too large for it to swallow

Sat Jan 24 2015

This is a great drive through refuge. I had the have been there many times. Each time I have been able to photograph something new.

Fri Oct 31 2014

I gave 2 stars to Ridgefield because you are not allowed to get out of the car during fall. We did anyway to take some pictures and got yelled at and told to go back to the vehicle. I still had a good time but how am I supposed to see wildlife from the vehicle?

Wed Jul 24 2013

Went to High School in Ridgefield and spent a lot of time in the Wildlife Refuge. Lots of birding opportunities.

Sun Apr 21 2013

Says accessible year round but the hiking portion is only accessible may through September there a drive tour which is quite nice rest of time I gave four star cause it was a nice drive but have to weight tell summer for walking

Tue Jun 26 2012

This trail has a lot of markers to inform you as to the different types of wildlife in the area. Not the best trail around, but it's flat, and very informative.