Bogachiel River Trail

Bogachiel River Trail is a 26.9 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Forks, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 26.9 miles Elevation Gain: 5,879 feet Route Type: Point to Point

From Forks, Sount on US 101 for 6 miles. Left (east) on Undie Road for 4 miles to trailhead at the end of the road.

Did the whole trail at the beginning of October and had a hard time finding it several times. Lots of fallen trees that required arduous detours and places where the trail was unable to be seen. Very overgrown with vegetation. Gorgeous forest though.

Trail was in good condition and easy to follow. Didn’t see many other hikers. We had plenty of water sources so no need to carry much water. We made it as far as bogachiel campsite which isn’t much of a campsite. You can setup on the river ledge for great views but you will be just a few feet off the trail. We backtracked about half mile or so for some better sites and a good swimming hole. The underbrush is so thick on this trail it makes it difficult to find good campsites, but we managed to find a couple nice spots for the two nights were there.

Trail is great. A very mellow hike for the 7ish miles we did. Lot's of fallen trees across the trail, but very manageable. Good skipping rocks.

WTA is working to make the trail better. I just volunteered yesterday (Saturday) and worked with a crew on the Wetlands Interpretive Trail to help the muddy spots get better drainage. We had crews working all different parts of the trail. Be patient it will get better. (FYI the TH is approximately a 18 min drive from the turnoff of Hwy 101. Continue to follow on Undi Rd Bypass and turn left at the stop sign you’ll see some residential houses and continue up the 1 lane road to parking lot)

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

this trail is washed out .have to find the trail just to countinue farther.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

I was worried after reading the road was out, but a newer bypass has been created that gets you to the trailhead. Beautiful old growth trail that is never crowded like the Hoh river trail.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

The "nature trail" loop at the beginning is easy, with no people, and is as good of rainforest (maybe not moss-forest) as anywhere else in Olympic.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

This is an awesome trail that is lightly traveled; however, just recently the road to the trailhead has been closed due to the entire hillside giving away, so at this point you cannot even drive to within 5 miles of the trailhead. The Forks newspaper reports that a fix to the road is months away, so check before heading there. The road in question is called Undi Road.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

I only did the loop to the edge of the park boundary, but absolutely worth it. There's no real signage driving there but just stay straight on Undi Rd and don't turn off. It'll end at the trailhead. Far less activity on this trail than the Hoh river trail, but all the same qualities. I did the upper portion first and walked along the river on the way back. Along the way I was fortunate enough to watch a herd of 30+ elk cross the river. The contrast in vegetation between the rain forest and the river is amazing. I think round trip I was at 5 miles and there wasn't much of an incline anywhere along the trail. I recommend this loop to anyone wanting to see the rain forest without running into a bunch of tourists.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

VERRY nice, only went from trail head (btw trail head is at end of the dirt road keep going until you see it don't stop like my GPS wanted me to) so I only went as far as the river on the trail because it was late in the day. Awesome is all I can say. I'm the only one around today, & I got my shoes off soaking my feet in the river on this nice warm day.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Jot done hiking this trail. My sons and I hiked as part of a trip that took us to Deer Lake via the Little Divide and we then went over the High Divide to get on to the Hoh River trail. The trail itself was in fairly good shape until after the Hyak campsite. From here on there were a lot of trees down across the trail which slowed us way down on our way to Deer Lake. The biggest trouble spot was at the creek crossing by the Twenty-one mile campsite. There are several trees down in the creek making no easy way to get across. We choose to climb down to the creek bed and pass packs across to one another and then climb up the other side. This part of the trail really needs some help though and I am not sure if the trail crew that was at Fifteen mile camp will make it all the way up. However, after another mile or so we were out of the fallen trees and on our way up to the Little Divide. Overall though this was a great part of our hike and I think that it is some absolutely gorgeous country for anyone who wants to do this hike.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Only went 6 miles on this trail, but it is another gem of the Washington Trails Association. Ran into a mama bear and her cub; but she simply scooted junior off and gave us a "whoof" to let us know she was there. This is a beautiful trail, but bring the bug repellant as much of the lower trail winds through marshy areas away from the river and the mosquitos are thick in those areas as there was hardly a breathe of wind in the flats. Once we got close to the river, however, the breeze coming from the west was a welcome coolant and deterrant to the bugs.

Friday, March 30, 2012

The Bogachiel River Trail was the start of my 22 day hike across the Olympics. I exited on the Upper Big Quilcene Trail. This is a very easy and beautiful trail and am surprised how few people hike this trail. The trail from Fifteen Mile to 21 Mile is quite muddy and in very poor condition. It is definitely on my hike again list.

recorded bogachiel