Boardman Lake Trail

Boardman Lake Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 433 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Road leading up to trial has a lot of damage from harsh winter conditions. Be prepared to encounter many potholes on the drive up to the trailhead.

Apparently the forest service doesn't want us using this trail. Tons of brush and small trees have been cut and piled on the trail and through the forest. I bushwacked for about 30 minutes, but it didn't clear and had to go elsewhere.

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail if your vehicle is equipped. Lots of washboarding, large potholes, and divots in the trail immediately after the turnoff from the highway. About .25 miles in, there's a huge hole on the right side with about a single cars width of drive-able trail and it's filled with water. I would think most regular high clearance vehicles with some good A/Ts could make the run up. It will test your nerve in some places though unless your familiar with driving off-road. No 4x4 needed. Made the trip up in my 2wd Tacoma Prerunner. No LSD or locker usage needed on the whole trail. Lake is absolutely beautiful this time of the year and has some frost here and there. Fairly cold for this early in the season, but nothing a little layering can't fix.

If you want to shake your fillings loose, the road up to the trail is the one for you! I would not attempt it if you don’t have a high clearance 4-wheel drive. As for the trail itself, I lost it completely after another downed tree and did not feel comfortable trying to scramble around as I was on my own. Thus, I never got to see Boardman Lake. Muddy in spots. Beautifully peaceful.

Road leading up to the trail head (last 5miles is gravel road) is pretty bad. Folks with cars have to be really cautions of the potholes - drive below 10mph. Avoid car or such low raise vehicle if you can. But the trail is very serene and untouched. Very low traffic, mostly couples with young kids. It’s a breeze for kids and lake view is outstanding.

Like many have said before, lots of potholes to the trailhead. Good hike! Took my 11 month old pup and 6 year old kid. Both did good for the most part. The lake and views were pretty, even on a cloudy day.

HUGE POTHOLES getting up to the trailhead! No cars!!! The road up is littered with car parts that were torn off in potholes! Once your at the trailhead it’s easy sailing. There are a couple parts where you navigate over fallen trees however my 5 year old had no problem. EASY hike great for all ages. TWO beautiful lakes to see!

The road is pretty damaged and has some very, very large potholes, the largest of which are near the beginning, so if those look bad to you, turn around. You're going to want to bring a high clearance vehicle. Something like a Subaru should be enough. I've seen cars incur damage on this road, and as we came in yesterday there was someone inspecting their car on the side of the road. The trail was great... a little muddy in a couple places but nothing really worrying about. Lots of dogs, some off leash, so come expecting that. Both lakes are beautiful. Boardman looked very inviting so I waded in to keep myself cool. Water was chilly.

Took my son fishing here this weekend. Hike was short and sweet with a few large trees down on the trail. It wasn't too hard to navigate around or over them. Water was like glass most of the morning. Around 11 the wind started to pick up. Trail was pretty dry. There were spots on the trail and around the lake that the bugs were kind of bad but in all not horrible.

This trail was absolutely breathtaking. The hike was somewhat uphill but overall not too strenuous. There were roots and rocks on the path that made the hike challenging at some points, but that’s to be expected on mountainous terrain. The five mile drive up to the trail was a struggle in our 4WD truck so I do not recommend taking a smaller car up there. There is a ton of potholes and it’s a very narrow road. If you can make it up there, I would highly suggest visiting.

Hiked this a few months back, just forgot to write a review. Decent hike, pouring down rain when we went so we were the only ones on the trail. Road going up questionable..AWD or 4x4 is helpful (lots of deep pot holes) Lake was beautiful.

I would definitely not recommend this hike right now until the snow melts. The logging road was terrible- you absolutely will not make it if you aren’t in an suv or truck with some clearance. The snow is very deep close to the trail head, decided to turn back before reaching the trail head because the snow was so deep (subaru outback) A gentleman in a lifted f150 with massive tires was also turning around due to loss of traction. There was a pull out about 1 mile before the trail head, if you parked there and walked then you would have been fine (i just didnt have the time before work). Again, even in summer unless this road is constructed before, do not take it in a regular car.

Fri Aug 03 2018

Swimming is perfect! Huckleberries, thimble berries and salmon berries snack bar is open. Twin Flowers line the trail and Alpine Meadow Groundsel fringes the lake (could someone please confirm identity) Malo potholes, "if they drive straight they must be drunk", saying from Costa Rica applies.

Wed Aug 01 2018

Great little hike hard on your vehicle's wonderful swim at the lake much warmer than I thought it would be!

Sun Jul 15 2018

Perfect weather today for this short hike with a Beautiful lake at the end for a nice picnic! Concur with previous reviews though for the road condition. Trailhead is 5 miles from Mt Loop Hwy and that 10 miles combined probably took just as long as the hike. We made it in our Kia Forte but did scrape in a few spots. If you have similar vehicle and don't know how to navigate these obstacles (potholes, rocks) then may be good to choose another hike. The worst of road is first 2.5 miles I would say.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Relaxed, fairly easy and short hike. The lake is beautiful, although there were a lot of bugs so repellent is a must. I loved seeing all the water lizards swimming around. There are a lot of huge pot holes on the road up so I wouldn't attempt getting there in any low to the ground vehicle.

Sun Jul 08 2018

We could not get to trail head in a Nissan. Pot holes huge. Need a car truck with high clearance. Wish there had been better info on road.

Fri Jun 22 2018

It was a good hike with my 3 year old sun. The road to the trail head indeed has a lot of potholes but it was fine for my subaru forester, drive slow and you should be fine. The hike is not very complicated but your kid will need help in some places. Both lakes are beautiful. It took us 45 min to get to the second lake. Be ready for bugs. And please don't leave garbage after yourself.

Sat May 26 2018

Be aware that after you turn off the Mountain Loop Hwy, the road is quite rough with many potholes. That makes it a bit of slow going getting out to all the trails in that area. This particular hike we only finished in part because the trail wasn't very clear to us. We ended up walking along Lake Evan, which is also quite serene and pretty. Once the trail dries up a bit more it will be even better. Lots of roots and uneven trail. Definitely not ok for anything like strollers and such.

Sun Sep 17 2017

Trail time 60 minutes Time from Seattle 90 minutes Went on a Sunday morning in September, crowd definitely comes around lunch, I had place to myself, but passed a dozen cars as I was leaving. Great little trail, gorgeous lake at the top, but not worth the drive if it's the only thing you plan on doing. Last five miles is up a US Forest Service road, which is pretty, but takes longer than the actual hike to drive up. Likely to camp and hike this one if ever do it again.

Sun Aug 06 2017

Took the family and my 3 week old son on his first hike here because it looked short and easy and the lake is pretty nice. The road is definitely not the best and there is one place where it is washed out you need 4 wheel drive to get through with out dragging your car bad. Don't try and park there and walk it's 3 more miles up a gravel dusty I peak up 3 guys attempting this and they were gray covered in dust. This is a great family hike and good for kids of all ages water is warm enough for kids to get in and shallow and safe beach areas

Thu Aug 03 2017

Dirt road to trail rough. Flying bugs an annoyance. Beautiful lake!