Boardman Lake Trail

Boardman Lake Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

Road leading up to trial has a lot of damage from harsh winter conditions. Be prepared to encounter many potholes on the drive up to the trailhead.

Swimming is perfect! Huckleberries, thimble berries and salmon berries snack bar is open. Twin Flowers line the trail and Alpine Meadow Groundsel fringes the lake (could someone please confirm identity)
Malo potholes, "if they drive straight they must be drunk", saying from Costa Rica applies.

Great little hike hard on your vehicle's wonderful swim at the lake much warmer than I thought it would be!

Perfect weather today for this short hike with a Beautiful lake at the end for a nice picnic! Concur with previous reviews though for the road condition. Trailhead is 5 miles from Mt Loop Hwy and that 10 miles combined probably took just as long as the hike. We made it in our Kia Forte but did scrape in a few spots. If you have similar vehicle and don't know how to navigate these obstacles (potholes, rocks) then may be good to choose another hike. The worst of road is first 2.5 miles I would say.

Relaxed, fairly easy and short hike. The lake is beautiful, although there were a lot of bugs so repellent is a must. I loved seeing all the water lizards swimming around. There are a lot of huge pot holes on the road up so I wouldn't attempt getting there in any low to the ground vehicle.

We could not get to trail head in a Nissan. Pot holes huge. Need a car truck with high clearance. Wish there had been better info on road.

It was a good hike with my 3 year old sun. The road to the trail head indeed has a lot of potholes but it was fine for my subaru forester, drive slow and you should be fine.
The hike is not very complicated but your kid will need help in some places. Both lakes are beautiful. It took us 45 min to get to the second lake. Be ready for bugs. And please don't leave garbage after yourself.

Be aware that after you turn off the Mountain Loop Hwy, the road is quite rough with many potholes. That makes it a bit of slow going getting out to all the trails in that area. This particular hike we only finished in part because the trail wasn't very clear to us. We ended up walking along Lake Evan, which is also quite serene and pretty. Once the trail dries up a bit more it will be even better. Lots of roots and uneven trail. Definitely not ok for anything like strollers and such.

Trail time 60 minutes
Time from Seattle 90 minutes

Went on a Sunday morning in September, crowd definitely comes around lunch, I had place to myself, but passed a dozen cars as I was leaving.

Great little trail, gorgeous lake at the top, but not worth the drive if it's the only thing you plan on doing. Last five miles is up a US Forest Service road, which is pretty, but takes longer than the actual hike to drive up. Likely to camp and hike this one if ever do it again.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Took the family and my 3 week old son on his first hike here because it looked short and easy and the lake is pretty nice. The road is definitely not the best and there is one place where it is washed out you need 4 wheel drive to get through with out dragging your car bad. Don't try and park there and walk it's 3 more miles up a gravel dusty I peak up 3 guys attempting this and they were gray covered in dust. This is a great family hike and good for kids of all ages water is warm enough for kids to get in and shallow and safe beach areas

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Dirt road to trail rough. Flying bugs an annoyance. Beautiful lake!

Saturday, July 01, 2017

I enjoyed this hike; however, part way up a bit of the road (NF-4020) was washed out. I didn't feel confident driving my little commuter car across this area, so I had to park and walk quite a distance up the rest of the hill to the trailhead. My son and I still had a great time and I enjoyed the hike. Just suggest taking a more rugged vehicle if available.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Great easy little hike. I wouldn't recommend the road up without 4 wheel drive. We'll do it again!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

This is always a great hike, and one you can do solo. Very beautiful through here. There is one section on the road up that is messed up, if a low clearance Audi sedan can get through it almost anyone should be able to, just stay to the right and go through the puddle. The trail has a few muddy areas. Bugs weren't to bad. The road in, and the trail are snow free.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Partly washed out road - only high clearance vehicles could make it to trailhead. I parked about 4 miles back and walked in. Super nice day out. Once I arrived at the trail, it was very muddy and 75% of the trail had snow on it - but it was manageable with a pole. Very nice hike overall!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Very very soggy trail! It was around 75-80 degrees, mid day when my boyfriend and I did this hike. There was a huge amount of mud just all over the trail, thick and sludgy. The lake, as usual, was absolutely lovely. However around 3:30-4:00 it started to get really buggy. The road up to the trail head was probably the hardest part. A little over 5 miles of gravel road filled with huge potholes. If you drive a low sitting vehicle this might not be the best trail to do. We had to get out and push some severely unprepared people in a convertible out of a rut. The lake however, if you are prepared, is worth it all. Absolutely spectacular views even on the drive up, and the first lake you pass on the trail is so serene. Great hike! We often take our 9 year old lab and she handles it great.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Hiked solo out here today. The trail is muddy in places, has puddles and streams running down parts of the trail. I had the whole place to myself which is a plus. This is a very kid and dog friendly hike, excellent for new hikers.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

short and sweet. busy but not as busy as most in the area

Saturday, April 09, 2016

short trail but nice. gets busy on weekends

Saturday, April 02, 2016

I was with a 9&4 year old in sneakers, couldn't even make it to the trailhead due to snow. The last five miles is moderate gravel road with potholes galore. I ended up at the ranger station down the road to inquire about trails without snow. I headed to old robe. Much much easier with a nice ending at the river.

Friday, January 01, 2016

Took our little puppy up for her first hike! The trail is easygoing and the lake was a great find!

Saturday, July 18, 2015

It's an easy pretty hike. We really enjoyed it.

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Very easy but a fun hike. Great place to take a swim.

Thursday, July 02, 2015

Beautiful trail, short, and the water was so warm we went swimming.

Monday, June 22, 2015

nice hike, beautiful views this is a definite go back to and visit again area!

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Nice short trip, great for kids.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

This is one of my favorite hikes for kids! Or an introduction to hiking for a new hiker. The lake is beautiful and fun to swim in!

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Easy hike lots of neat things along the trail. Watch out for roots along the trial. Beautiful lake wish we would have brought a fishing pole and small boat.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Great for a short hike. Lake Evan is 0.1, and Boardman Lake is 0.8 miles from the trailhead. Very wet, muddy and slick, which is to be expected in a March hike. We were basically walking in a small creek most the way up. Lots of rocks & roots on the trail, but our 7 & 11 year olds had no problems. Didn't see ANY bugs either.

Sunday, May 04, 2014

a little wet still! good minrs

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

This is a relative easy hike but there are sooo many horseflies that you have to be running or swimming. Otherwise, expect to get bit....multiple times. I was fast walking with my son and they kept biting his back and arms. I must have killed over 50 on our hike.