Blanca Lake Trail

Blanca Lake Trail is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Index, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Drive US Highway 2 to just west of milepost 50 (located between the town of Skykomish and the Skykomish Ranger Station). Turn north onto Beckler Road #65, toward Beckler River Campground. From US Highway 2 on FS Road #65, drive 15 miles and turn right on FS Road #63. Continue for 1.8 miles and turn left at the junction for the entrance to Blanca Lake trailhead. Mile 12.5 from Highway 2 (Jack Pass) - *this is where everyone gets lost* You'll enter a circular intersection/clearing. You want to take the second left in order to continue on 65. (not the sharp left turn) There is a sign for 65 right at the start of this road (once you have already taken this turn correctly). Going straight gets you to a dead end quickly.

FS Road #63 is currently closed to traffic, so you need to add 1.8 miles each way to this hike.
Beautiful lake.

This was one of my favorite hikes of all time. I went on a hot summer day and jumped in the lake with some friendly fellow hikers I met at the top. It's a good one for experienced hikers.

Very beautiful lake. my fitbit calculated 14 miles round trip that includes the 2 miles each way due to washout. very hard hike inclines the entire way til Virgin Lake then its a mile down hill to Blanca Lake. the lake is breathtaking and worth the hike. bring lots of water and power foods. towards the top its pretty rocky so be prepared for that. not a hike for small children.

Hiked this on Sept 17. Hike was hard but fun. We had 12 miles total, from the base of FS 63 down to the lake. It was raining lightly for most of the afternoon so the trail was slippery but there were no bugs. The lake was beautiful, worth the effort. The downside of this hike was the long walk along the FS road to get to the trail head and the lack of views.

Beautiful!

I've done this hike twice now, and it's still stunning both times!

Last I went, my group left around 6 am (from Lynnwood). I think we started hiking by 7:30 and got to the trailhead by 8:30 because of the washout that adds 2 miles to the hike (and 2 miles back).

Be mindful of the elevation! It starts steep, and doesn't level out until you're near Virgin Lake (which appears to be a big mud puddle). Bring lots of water, especially if you have dogs with you, and I'd say leave early because the elevation is pretty killer and you'll want those breaks. Also, I'd recommend to bring some bug spray because they tend to pester you for a while.

Once you pass Virgin Lake, it's a steep downhill for 20-30 min to get to Blanca. The water is super cold but super worth it! We got there around 11:30 and stayed until 1:15. On the way back, be mindful again of how steep it is, you might get some sore knees which some hiking poles might help with.

Got to the car around 4 with the last two miles being exhausting. Having been on the hike before there was the washout and the extra 4 miles, I can definitely confirm that it makes a huge difference!

I hiked Blanca with my Alaskan Klee Kai last summer. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the lake because she tuckered out (we hiked 12 vs 14 miles) and started to overheat. We would have made it if the trailhead wasn't closed. Didn't help that it was a hot day. Hoping to give this another try before the end of summer.

it's hard but beautiful and worth it!