Blanca Lake Trail

Blanca Lake Trail is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Index, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Drive US Highway 2 to just west of milepost 50 (located between the town of Skykomish and the Skykomish Ranger Station). Turn north onto Beckler Road #65, toward Beckler River Campground. From US Highway 2 on FS Road #65, drive 15 miles and turn right on FS Road #63. Continue for 1.8 miles and turn left at the junction for the entrance to Blanca Lake trailhead. Mile 12.5 from Highway 2 (Jack Pass) - *this is where everyone gets lost* You'll enter a circular intersection/clearing. You want to take the second left in order to continue on 65. (not the sharp left turn) There is a sign for 65 right at the start of this road (once you have already taken this turn correctly). Going straight gets you to a dead end quickly.

Seeing this lake in person was so amazing, I can't wait to come back again and explore more!! It is well worth the steep hike in. However, I was completely disappointed in how much garbage there was all over the trail. Water bottles everywhere, beer cans, candy wrappers and even Maxi pads left right on the trail. I know this is just my opinion but please stop being lazy and pack your crap out with you. No one likes to go hiking at the dump and if we all don't do our part that's what it'll turn into.

Fantastic hike into the heart of the Cascades. It is a long hike (~16 miles total out and back) but well worth the experience of Lake Blanca. If you are moving along count on three hours out to the lake and 2.5 hours back. Bugs are manageable as long as you keep moving on your way out to the lake. No issue with bugs at the lake. Enjoy the lake is breathtakingly beautiful.

HARDEST HIKE OF MY LIFE. But the view is so worth it! Definitely suggest starting really early in the morning. We ended up walking the last two miles in the dark :( This is not an easy hike at all. My legs are gonna feel it in the morning! Whooo! But it is so gorgeous and rewarding!

Amazing view! Trail is curently washed out so and an extra 4 miles of easy hiking to the tally. Bring a gallon or two of bug spray and a net hat. you're gonna need it.

This hike is amazing! If you’re wondering if you should go, stop everything and drive out. Just a forewarning it’s about 15.8 miles all together from the road being washed out. I randomly decided to only sleep a few hours, drive the five hours there, hike, then drive back all in the same day. And I’d turn around and do it again next week- it’s that gorgeous.

Lots of bugs! Flies everywhere, couldn't really take any breaks but when we got there, it was so unreal! Oh yea, the walk to the hike was at least 2 miles in.

This is the most beautiful lake I have ever hiked too! I had already heard that this was going to be a difficult hike from so many people so was prepared! Ultimately, as long as you are a regular hiker and have good endurance, this hike will be fine for you! I wouldnt say its much more difficult than Mt. Pilchuck or Lake Serene! What I will say was HORRIBLE were the bugs! Anytime you stopped on the trail, 10-20 flies would try landing on you. Because of this, I avoided stopping as much as possible! Fortunately, once you get to the lake, the bugs are not AS bad. Still, if you really dont like bugs, this hike is NOT worth it (at least right now). Bug spray didn't help either! Happy hiking!

Did it today bugs are super super BAD. But overall very beautiful hike.

I did this hike last summer, in 2016 and the view was breathtaking throughout my entire adventure! Can't wait to do it again before this summer ends!

Hiked on Saturday 7/28. My dog and I were the first two on the trail and huffed and puffed our way up. Seems like I should have invested in some walking sticks... Lake was absolutely gorgeous and, aside from a few fallen trees, the oath was clear to follow. Total time up from trailhead was 2.5 hours, jog down was 1.5. The extra 2 miles up and down from the washout were a nice, flat warm-up and cooldown.

This is a difficult and challenging hike due to terrain and incline but worth it! Great workout and scenery!

One of the best and hardest hikes. The road to the trailhead is closed, so you will need to walk 2 miles to the start. Once you're there, it's about 5 miles to the lake, 7 total each way, or 14 round trip. This is definitely an all day activity. Once on the trailhead, expect lots of bugs. Unfortunately bug spray did not work for us. The bugs are a bit mentally challenging, however, the end result is worth it. Once you get to the top of the mountain, you will descend for about 30-40 minutes until you get to the lake. Pack lots of water. Blanca Lake is cold, but many hikers were swimming.

It's a difficult hike. I probably wouldn't do it before July in a heavy snow year. I can see how there would be lots of water, snow and mud on the trail in the spring that could precarious if your not experienced or prepared-as some of the reviews suggest. But the trail and the weather were clear and we had a great time overnighting. Limited campsites that were accessible at Blanca Lake. Signs said no camping within 200 ft. of the lake but I didn't see any campsites up the trail except around Virgin Lake which is a steep 800 ft. climb back up the trail from Blanca Lake. An exceptionally beautiful lake.

Beautiful!!! The bugs were TERRIBLE on the way back down.