Big Gulch Trail

Big Gulch Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mukilteo, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Big Gulch provides ample amounts of walking trails that are well manicured and user friendly for everyone. Tall evergreen trees, lush forest floors, and a thriving ecosystem are only a few of the highlights experienced in Big Gulch. Trail heads are located at 4800 92nd Street SW, Mukilteo, WA and 4675 Harbour Point Blvd., Mukilteo, WA.

We had a blast! The trail is well maintained. Perfect for those who (like us) enjoy more of a nature walk and are light hikers.

Mid October Sunday mid morning. Walking with our 3 dogs. Sunny and bright, temp around 60 degrees.

Trail is easy, wide with no trip hazards. Very well maintained. Mud in only one very small, easy to traverse patch. Elevation easy but our 60 year old bodies felt it at the end.

The sewer smell others have mentioned was light and only really noticeable in one small, concentrated area. There were few others on the trail, we encountered around 12 to 15 other people along the entire trail.

The woods were spectacular to walk through.

We will be back again.

Very enjoyable trail. Indeed a small part smells of sewer but not enough to ruin experience.

Along a sewage line. Smells awful. Stink with bugs but a nice walk otherwise.

Some mud today on the trail, but it was a perfect walk for myself, 2.5 yr old and 1 yr old that I wore. We started at the library, which has easy access to the trail on either side.

Was a nice hike close to the city. We took the longer Trail which brought us to a service road at the end. There is an aroma of sewer during part of the walk. The 90ish stairs in the beginning are pretty!

Good one to do with the kids or when you just want to get out there for a quick walk. (Kids like the park too. Lol) I suggest staying on the North/South forks because it gets a little stinky on the West fork. Little muddy today, but that is to be expected this time of year and nothing that wasn't passable.

Friday, September 16, 2016

This was an okay trail, as trails go, but I will never go back for one big reason: it stunk.

Like most of the way, it stunk like sewage. And not just a little. It was bad in places and downright foul in others. Like, I had to hold my nose. Dramatically. I was breathing through my sleeve and gasping for air as if i was walking through a smoky room.

It was dangerously bad. Yucky. Blech. Ew. I can still taste it. Pheeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeeew!

[insert crying children gif here]

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Great trail for a run. I was unable to find parking for the park itself but ended up finding parking at the Mukilteo Library. It ended up working out great as the lot connects to the trail. It's a good 40 minute trail run, moderately difficult to run, it would be a nice and easy hike though.

Monday, September 05, 2016

We took all 3 kids (ages 6-11) to walk this trail today. We parked at the library and hopped on the trail there. It was fab! There were quite a few people, and lots of dogs who looked very happy. The kids were griping on the way back up, but all in all it was a lovely walk in the forest!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

I WOULD RECOMMEND PARKING AT 92ND STREET PARK. I drove around the park once because my GPS didn't take me to an entrance.

Really awesome trail. There is an option to run a longer, flatter route that ends at the library or a shorter, steeper route (which is more beautiful, in my opinion). Very peaceful!!!!

There is a few meters where you can smell the sewage.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

This is a great little trail through a foresty area, with views of a little creek and a mini waterfall. At the end of the walk you end up at the public library! A very nice stroll.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Nice

Saturday, July 02, 2016

It is great for a run and will push your endurance. Great exercise!

Monday, June 27, 2016

This trail is 4-5 miles...great trail! There are a few places that you can smell sewage but honestly, it's just for a moment. This is a great little hike for kids!

Thursday, May 12, 2016

**park your car either at the 92nd st park and use the north entrance, or park at the library and use the south entrance :)**

I had a hard time finding where the trail head was, and didn't even realize that there were other entrances! This trail is a gem once I found where it was. This trail offers something for all skill levels and it isn't terribly long. We entered through the south entrance and when the trail forked, we went left and down the west trail. It had a lot of ups and downs and was excellent for trail running. When we turned around we checked out the north trails, one is a steep incline with not much to see (but is a great hill to run :) and the left side of the north entrance takes you to the 92nd street park. This trail has stairs and bridges and is quite pretty. I'll be back to this trail, especially since it's so close to home and doesn't require driving out to mountain loop hwy if you need a quick hiking fix :)

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Was extremely happy with this hike. It's not far from home, but certainly feels like it. I went early afternoon on a Tuesday and saw maybe a half dozen people. Just enough of a hike to stretch your legs a bit, elevation changes weren't bad. Birds were busy singing, even heard a barred owl, and spotted a couple banana slugs.
Only detractors in this hike were:
1) the occasional smell of sewage. It certainly wasn't enough to ruin the hike but there were definitely spots you didn't want to stop.
2) Mud. If you leave from the Mukilteo library you will encounter mud, there's no avoiding it. It wasn't too deep, but I was glad to have close toed shoes.

I'll definitely be doing this again.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Sunday, March 13, 2016

End to end trail is 4.4 miles with some elevation gain of 300ft approx. started from Mukilteo library entry point, went to 92nd space park, then all the way down and back to library. Good for anyone, warmup, kids, dogs... Going all the way down gives pungent smell of sewers, and also on some spots where they have sewer valves.