Big Four Ice Caves Trail

Big Four Ice Caves Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 488 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

partially paved

Please check park website for current status of trails and roads. Roads and trails may be closed through June.

bridge out

Amazing trail, had to walk across the river but wasn't too bad walking across river in low areas.

The bridge to the cave is currently down so couldn’t get across the water to see it.

Pretty disappointed the trail wasnt updated, I looked this morning before we left. I've been here before and was taking a friend from out of state to see the caves but the bridge was taken down so we were unable to get to the caves.

Great trail! well maintained. I took my family there yesterday Oct. 22 for a hike to the caves. There is water over the trail in a few spots, but nothing terrible. We were able to make it all the way with my youngest in a jogging stroller. Views were great all along the way and the ice cave never disappoints!

Beautiful easy hike up to the amazing Ice Caves its breathtaking. We go atleast 3 times a yr.Just dont go in the ice caves its Deadly you can get a great pic a 100ft in front of it

Lovely trail with breathtaking views! It’s inspiring and jaw dropping. Pretty easy trek from the start and a short distance. It packs a lot of beauty in a short hike.

Today was a perfect day! Had a picnic with friends and family first at the picnic area. Great views of Four Mountain and the fireplace of the old inn from the 20’s. Then made the trek to the ice caves! Lots of people but most were respectful and stayed on the trail. The ice caves are awesome but I wish people wouldn’t go in them! There are warning signs everywhere!! Will definitely come back!

Well kept trail and easy to navigate. Beautiful ice cave at the end!

Pretty easy hike. The wood gets a little slick in the rain but nothing to bad. The drive there is easy and paved. It gets cold once up there so make sure you bundle up. There are signs saying they are collapsing right now. You should never enter these caves in the first place. I did the hike with my kiddos and we made it up and all the way back with only one kid five minutes from the car giving up :)

Beautiful hike the caves are too dangerous to go near and I couldn’t see inside with the binoculars the rangers had so I wasn’t impressed by the actually cave, but I did think the scenery surrounding the cave was beautiful and the hike to it was really beautiful.

Such a spectacular view, never disappoints! The ice cave is still there in it’s threatening beauty. 360 degree views of the surrounding hills and mountains as you sit there contemplating its beauty.

Sunny and dry all the way up to the cave, lots of ice collapses so seriously dangerous to enter, very easy and fun hike for everyone

recorded Big Four Ice Caves Trail

Easy walk to the ice cave. The boardwalk needs a little TLC but I had no issues with it. Had the place entirely to myself for the 30 minutes I was there with my dog. There were a few groups at the trailhead having picnics.

Quick and easy walk. Plenty of parking at trailhead (different than picnic area). No snow on ground but caves still very impressive.

Easy hike. The trail is well maintained and the cave at the end of the trail is worth of seeing. Just be mindful of going inside the cave, some ice might fall off. overall, amazing stroll!

This is a nice & easy trail. The views were spectacular and rangers around since apparently there was recent activities of car break ins . Felt secured since the rangers were there to keep an eye out. More than a bit crowded around 12 but we got there early and were already heading out so missed all that noise. Worth the trip

Super easy “hike” that is more like a steady gravel trail. Super awesome location with some insane ice caves. I forgot my hiking boots at home and had to do this one in Birkenstocks, but it was not difficult due to the simplicity of the trail and short distance. $5 for parking!

Very easy hike. Because it’s so easy it is highly trafficked and often with large groups and kids. If you want it to be quieter I highly recommend getting there very early in the AM. The views are worth it.

defiently worth the drive. Only a one mile hike up. Very easy. Very beautiful ice cave at the end.

This is a relatively easy & short hike (although my 5YO complained most of the way up). The view at the end is worth it.

INSIGHT WANTED. Revisiting this trail for the first time in a long time. Can anyone speak to the lawless amount of car theft that I am hearing about? Break-ins for no reason even broken windows on cars that had nothing in them? I’m being told and research is saying that the break-ins are at an all-time high. Anyone experienced this or seen this?

Nice easy walk for the boys. Bridges and ponds keep it fun.

Absolutley beautiful trail. I highly recommend this hike! 1 amazing ice cave is still there. However, it is definitely melting so check it out soon!

I've never been to the Big Four Ice Caves while the cave is actually exposed. The last time I came up here was a few years ago and the snow was pretty deep and had covered most of the trail. The parking lot was nearly empty and the trail was in very good condition. At 10am there wasn't much activity for a week day. I walked up to the ice cave and got as close as I felt comfortable and was in awe of how big the ice cave was. The water fall beyond the entrance was in full stream and I could hear pieces of ice breaking off and smacking the rocky walls of the mountain. The rush of cold air off the caves was chilling but as the sun started to peak over the mountain, I could feel the 80 degree Pacific Northwest summer sun beating on me. After spending around an hour milling around in the rocky field in front of the ice caves, I started back down the trail to the parking lot. The foot traffic became increasingly busier with hoards of kids and parents heading to the caves. Visiting the Ice Caves was definitely fun and it's a must-see in the summer time. I put avalanche danger as an option because there is always an inherent chance of being struck by falling ice or an avalanche depending on how close you get to the ice caves. Always proceed with caution and never go beyond your own abilities and understand your limitations.

Fantastic little hike with a great payoff! Mountains were stunning and felt very surreal. Ice cave was definitely a unique experience. Was definitely more like a walk than a hike and barely over 3 miles round trip, next to no elevation gain. This was further evidenced by all the families with very young children. Wasn’t too busy though but definitely picked up a bit the later it got. Went on a midday Tuesday. It was gorgeous out. Place is probably packed on weekends. If crowds bother you I suggest going early or a day when it’s kind of ugly out. But again, we probably encountered only like 20 families while we were there. Some people seem to be confused that this is a mass of snow and ice and not a glacier so no where near as stable or predictable. Predictable as in you can’t visit whenever. Snow has to accumulate and slide, then it has to hollow itself out with warmer weather and water flow. Caves are therefore ever changing and not even there year around. We were definitely one of the idiots that went inside the caves, while I don’t necessarily recommend...I was far more likely to befall an accident in the drive in. IF you go in please be smart about it. We were the only ones that went in...funny part was watching us get judged by all the people congregated at the very mouth of the cave...the part most likely to collapse...watching children throw rocks at the ice walls and climbing all over. IF you go in, stick to the side at first and quickly clear the mouth of the cave, stay away from any cracks, edges and any water falling from the ceiling. If you don’t go in please for the love of god, stay away from the mouth of the cave. Three of the four deaths occurred at the mouth of the cave and I believe the fourth was at the very end near the falls...also kind of the mouth. Also be extra careful on extra hot, unseasonably warm and generally rainy days as well as late or early in the year.

Nice, easy hike on a beautiful day. Arrived at 10:30 on a Monday to only a few cars in the lot. Lots more arriving when I left around 1pm. Some big puddles on the trail but easily avoidable. Lots of good birding between the main trail and the picnic area. The drive in is really pretty too! If you don’t have a Northwest pass, they’ve taken away the option to pay at the trailhead and there were no envelopes to use to pay later.

This is a super easy trail but pretty cool. Note, it's 3.2 miles roundtrip, not each way. Enjoy!

Great easy hike with beautiful views. Went early in the morning so there was lots of parking and the trail wasn't crowded at all.