Bertha May and Granite Lakes Trail

Bertha May and Granite Lakes Trail is a 10.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mineral, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,785 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Super easy hike. We went as far as Granite lake and back. Roads up there were fine, couple of potholes but seriously easy to take. We did encounter wasps. I and my dog got stung, as had a few other people we met along the way up. We encountered the nest at the first lake. Once you walk round pothole lake and see the path break with smaller rocks and water running down them, the nest is buried in the roots of the tree on the other side of the rocks. So once you’ve crossed the rocks, my advice is stick to the left, away from the tree, as you go up and you’ll be fine. Other than that we enjoyed it. Don’t expect a workout with this one, just enjoy the lakes!

Nice hike with big trees, Rainier views and beautiful lakes! We swam in granite lake and it was still a bit cold but tolerable. The only downside is the fact we encountered a ton of bugs! Bug spray wasn’t doing its job. Beautiful hike but next time I will try it later in the year hoping for less fly encounters.

A fairly easy hike with plenty to make it worth it. Both lakes are really beautiful, although you'll encounter quite a few bugs around them. A little ways past Granite Lake, near where the trail peaks, if you go a bit north off the trail (maybe 50-75 yards) you can reach a ridge with a clear view of Mt. Rainier and the surrounding area.

I would definitely do this again. This hike is definitely easier starting at the Teeley trail entrance. I have a Scion-TC for a vehicle, had to park about 800ft from the trailhead & walk. There was only 2-3 spots that had snow on the trail. This is a perfect hike, for back pack camping/ hikers & day trippers.

I'd recommend a high clearance vehicle to get to the trail head, but you can always park further down and walk up less than .5 miles to it. The first three lakes are beautiful and easy to get to - a very quick hike. If you hike the rest of the trail (to Cora Lake), it's not so easy nor as rewarding. Since there's a second, extremely short (.7 miles) trail leading to Cora Lake - the end result is slightly marred by high activity and litter (which may not be an issue for a day hike, but was a bit disappointing for an overnight). I wouldn't take the long way to Cora Lake again, but I'd definitely go to Granite Lake for a short hike and picnic.

Lots of snow patches still .. had to leave the car a mile down the road before the trailhead. Beautiful though.. lakes were half thawed out. We turned back at mile 3. Too much snow.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

great for camping! noice lake and good environment for activities

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Fun hike, started on the Coral lake side due to the road washed out on Big Bertha’s side. All lakes have horseflies so definitely recommend a bug net or tent to sleep, as well as repellent. Water is warm enough to swim in and very clear. Temps get down to 50’s at night.. Definitely a fun hike with lots of water attractions.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Hiked a couple years ago. Digging through some old pics. Awesome trip. Think it was in September of 2011 haha. Bugs were narley. Need to make my way back again.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Couldn’t make it to the trailhead without 4 wheel drive. Lots of potholes and snow at this time of year.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Granite lake is so beautiful. One of the best and least trafficked hikes that I've been on. A great day hike or backpacking trip. Teeley lake is also super clear and fresh.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Me and a friend of mine took our two 13 year old Boy's camping at Granite Lake this weekend. Took Teely Creek trail to get there. total of 2.5 miles between our car and the far side of Granite Lake. Pretty heavy pack at 65lbs and out of shape it took 1.5 hours to hike. You'll think the 1/2-mile long last hill on the hike never will end. Then as if from a book. You literally see the lake as soon at the hill levels out. I can't even describe how beautiful this place is. Perfect camp sites with large fire pit's and some bush made benches. Water is clear and barley on the cold side of comfortable but feels great.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

granite lake is amazing and u can see the bottom

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Great hike!

Saturday, July 22, 2017

So many lakes come up so quickly on this trail, and they're gorgeous! Almost looked like the Caribbean but surrounded by mountains and evergreens! Great climb suited for mid-level experience. The trail is clear, except a couple muddy spots where the creeks flow out and there is a downed bridge between the second and third lake- it has HUGE exposed nails, so be careful! Be wary as people do not leash their dogs EVEN THOUGH IT IS THE LAW. Just because your dog is friendly, doesn't mean everyone else and their dogs are friendly. Please respect other trail users and keep your animal leashed!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

The hike itself is beautiful and moderate, BUT they really need to install some kind of direction for people..we had no idea where we are and some paths were covered with branches and we could get lost easily...some signs would be awesome

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The road to the TH is severely washed out about 1 mile before the TH. High clearance 4 wheel drive can navigate it.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

This hike is Day two of an overnight hike to Cora Lake and is reverse from yesterday’s hike heading back to the car. Woke up at 4am, 6am and almost got up at 6, but fell asleep and woke up at 8:30. Dew on the fly and it lightly rained a couple times. The morning was cloudy behind the surrounding ridges. Started a fire and boiled water for coffee. Gathered more wood and boiled water for breakfast. Sat on log at gravel bar on the edge of the water and relaxed a bit. Gathered more wood. Boiled more water and had hot chocolate. Packed and ready to go at 1:50pm. Talked to a small group at the bigger spot down the way. Started the hike back at 2pm which was a pretty good incline. This was tough! Wasn't sure I was going to make it rest of the day. I think it was because I had just rested and my legs were already tired. After about 45-60 minutes, hiking became easier and normal on all the inclines. My pack was lighter but I don't know by how much, 5-7 lbs maybe. The day was partly sunny and partly cloudy, becoming more sunny as the day progressed. The hike was pretty normal on the way back and nothing really stood out. I didn't see anyone this section until Granite Lake which was expected since the 3 lakes on the way back are the most populated. Talked with a mother and her kids overnighting. A couple packing a toddler day hiking, a young couple overnighting in the spot the group of 15 were the day before and another couple with a fishing pole and a dog day hiking. At Bertha May lake there was a small group of day hikers who left shortly after I passed by. I made it to the car minutes before they did. All and all a great hike and all my gear worked perfectly. There was now snow at all and the area was semi-populated leaving many spots for solitude. Cora lake was all solitude.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

GPs directions are wrong. The first turn after getting onto the dirt roads is a left then immediate right onto 8410 The other leads you to 8415 in which their is no access. 4x4 is needed to get to th. I made it within a mile in a little car then just walked from there. The trail itself is only around a couple miles long so it isn't too bad. After passing pothole lake there is a split in the trail and does not specify. Take the left uphill (I believe it is marked #251) Awesome little hike with 3 lakes! Good camping but not too many spots next to water. I did not see any sign of fish iether, unfortunately.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Cloudy and cool today but I was all alone in the morning on my way up. It was so good to revisit this trail that I loved back in high school and college. Sad I didn't get to see the mountain, but the quiet time was still well worth it. An easy hike with very little steepness. Probably one of the most underrated hikes around, IMHO! Can't wait to come back and camp and see the mountain again here.

Friday, June 05, 2015

Hiked this trail from the Pothole Lake Trail Head on road 8410 to Granite Lake. Had some stunning views of Mt Rainier and gorgeous lakes along the way. There were thousands of tadpoles swimming about in Pothole lake, and no snow anywhere on the trail. Was a rather beautiful and refreshing hike.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Hiked to Granite lake today for the Cora Lake trail head with the Boy Scout Troop today. Trail to Cora Lake still had some snow but it wasn't bad. The trail from Cora Lake to Granite Lake had a fair amount of snow up to 18" deep in places but not completely covered.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Stumbled on this little hike today while looking for High Rock Lookout. Kids, dog and I hiked this one instead. It was more uneventful than what we are used to hiking the Olympics. Disappointing to see wrappers and beer bottles along the trail. Pothole lake was beautiful if you look past the scraps or garbage left from previous campers. Bertha Lake was amazing as well with clear greenish waters hidden in an opening in the trees. Do not attempt to get to the trail head in a car whereas there are washouts where I had to kick my SUV into 4low to cross. When you do get there, the trail head is in the bushes on your left. You may miss is if a vehicle is parked in front of the sign and begin up the gravel path.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

(July 2013) I hiked with my 11 year old boy from the north side of Cora Lake to Granite Lake today. Up through the sawtooth hills (up and down terrain...mostly up from east to west) it took us about 2 1/2 hours to reach Granite. It was a little foggy when we got there around 830am. It cleared up within 20 minutes to reveal beautiful bluish green waters, sandy beach and mirror like water reflecting the hillside. Then we turned around a got smacked in the face with an awesome view of Mt. Rainier! We have great memories and lots of pictures to share when we come home:)

Sunday, March 11, 2012

A very pleasant hike, but as of last summer (2011), the road to the trail-head was in horrible shape, washouts about a mile short of the TH, with larges rocks across the "road". It is about 4.5 miles to Cora lake, and about 1.5 miles to the end of Bertha may Lake. Views of Mt. Rainier form the TH and the "upper" trail through the trees.