Bertha May and Granite Lakes Trail

Bertha May and Granite Lakes Trail is a 10.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mineral, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked it with my family today and haven't stopped talking about it yet! The water is so clear and truly amazing. Great camping spots and the views are breathtaking! Will do this again to make it to Cora Lake!

Granite lake is so beautiful. One of the best and least trafficked hikes that I've been on. A great day hike or backpacking trip. Teeley lake is also super clear and fresh.

Me and a friend of mine took our two 13 year old Boy's camping at Granite Lake this weekend. Took Teely Creek trail to get there. total of 2.5 miles between our car and the far side of Granite Lake. Pretty heavy pack at 65lbs and out of shape it took 1.5 hours to hike. You'll think the 1/2-mile long last hill on the hike never will end. Then as if from a book. You literally see the lake as soon at the hill levels out. I can't even describe how beautiful this place is. Perfect camp sites with large fire pit's and some bush made benches. Water is clear and barley on the cold side of comfortable but feels great.

granite lake is amazing and u can see the bottom

Great hike!

So many lakes come up so quickly on this trail, and they're gorgeous! Almost looked like the Caribbean but surrounded by mountains and evergreens! Great climb suited for mid-level experience. The trail is clear, except a couple muddy spots where the creeks flow out and there is a downed bridge between the second and third lake- it has HUGE exposed nails, so be careful!
Be wary as people do not leash their dogs EVEN THOUGH IT IS THE LAW. Just because your dog is friendly, doesn't mean everyone else and their dogs are friendly. Please respect other trail users and keep your animal leashed!

The hike itself is beautiful and moderate, BUT they really need to install some kind of direction for people..we had no idea where we are and some paths were covered with branches and we could get lost easily...some signs would be awesome

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The road to the TH is severely washed out about 1 mile before the TH. High clearance 4 wheel drive can navigate it.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

This hike is Day two of an overnight hike to Cora Lake and is reverse from yesterday’s hike heading back to the car. Woke up at 4am, 6am and almost got up at 6, but fell asleep and woke up at 8:30. Dew on the fly and it lightly rained a couple times. The morning was cloudy behind the surrounding ridges. Started a fire and boiled water for coffee. Gathered more wood and boiled water for breakfast. Sat on log at gravel bar on the edge of the water and relaxed a bit. Gathered more wood. Boiled more water and had hot chocolate.

Packed and ready to go at 1:50pm. Talked to a small group at the bigger spot down the way. Started the hike back at 2pm which was a pretty good incline. This was tough! Wasn't sure I was going to make it rest of the day. I think it was because I had just rested and my legs were already tired. After about 45-60 minutes, hiking became easier and normal on all the inclines. My pack was lighter but I don't know by how much, 5-7 lbs maybe.

The day was partly sunny and partly cloudy, becoming more sunny as the day progressed. The hike was pretty normal on the way back and nothing really stood out. I didn't see anyone this section until Granite Lake which was expected since the 3 lakes on the way back are the most populated. Talked with a mother and her kids overnighting. A couple packing a toddler day hiking, a young couple overnighting in the spot the group of 15 were the day before and another couple with a fishing pole and a dog day hiking. At Bertha May lake there was a small group of day hikers who left shortly after I passed by. I made it to the car minutes before they did.

All and all a great hike and all my gear worked perfectly. There was now snow at all and the area was semi-populated leaving many spots for solitude. Cora lake was all solitude.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

GPs directions are wrong. The first turn after getting onto the dirt roads is a left then immediate right onto 8410 The other leads you to 8415 in which their is no access. 4x4 is needed to get to th. I made it within a mile in a little car then just walked from there. The trail itself is only around a couple miles long so it isn't too bad. After passing pothole lake there is a split in the trail and does not specify. Take the left uphill (I believe it is marked #251) Awesome little hike with 3 lakes! Good camping but not too many spots next to water. I did not see any sign of fish iether, unfortunately.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Cloudy and cool today but I was all alone in the morning on my way up. It was so good to revisit this trail that I loved back in high school and college. Sad I didn't get to see the mountain, but the quiet time was still well worth it. An easy hike with very little steepness. Probably one of the most underrated hikes around, IMHO! Can't wait to come back and camp and see the mountain again here.

Friday, June 05, 2015

Hiked this trail from the Pothole Lake Trail Head on road 8410 to Granite Lake. Had some stunning views of Mt Rainier and gorgeous lakes along the way. There were thousands of tadpoles swimming about in Pothole lake, and no snow anywhere on the trail. Was a rather beautiful and refreshing hike.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Hiked to Granite lake today for the Cora Lake trail head with the Boy Scout Troop today. Trail to Cora Lake still had some snow but it wasn't bad. The trail from Cora Lake to Granite Lake had a fair amount of snow up to 18" deep in places but not completely covered.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Stumbled on this little hike today while looking for High Rock Lookout. Kids, dog and I hiked this one instead. It was more uneventful than what we are used to hiking the Olympics. Disappointing to see wrappers and beer bottles along the trail. Pothole lake was beautiful if you look past the scraps or garbage left from previous campers. Bertha Lake was amazing as well with clear greenish waters hidden in an opening in the trees. Do not attempt to get to the trail head in a car whereas there are washouts where I had to kick my SUV into 4low to cross. When you do get there, the trail head is in the bushes on your left. You may miss is if a vehicle is parked in front of the sign and begin up the gravel path.

Thursday, July 10, 2014