Bells Mountain Trail

Bells Mountain Trail is a 16.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yacolt, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from February until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From Moulton Falls, the trail begins with a one mile steep incline through lush forest. Towards the top of Bell's Mountain, the trail goes through a clear cut. The trail is well marked every half mile but there is a road crossing near the top of Bell's Mountain that is a bit hard to pick up. When you hit the road, turn left and follow the road around to the right for about 100 yards. There is a cairn where the trail picks up again. The trail continues along the slopes of Bell's Mountain and Spotted Dear Mountain and and then descends and runs along or near Cedar Creek until the end, which is just South of the Cold Creek Day Use Area. Many folks hike the entire 7.7 mile trail as a point-to-point and have someone pick them up at the Cold Creek Day Use Area. Others just do an out-and-back from Moulton Falls. Either way, it's a great hike with spectacular views!

I got a couple miles into this trail before seeing some droppings that made me uncomfortable. I was alone so I decided to turn back to Moulton Falls. The initial ascent is pretty steep but the setting is breathtaking. I will come back to this trail! One of the lushest settings I've been in in a while.

This trail goes on forever, it's very green, can be pretty steep, but has great views after about 2 miles.

I didn't do the entire hike to the top but all and all it was beautiful! I had three dogs with me and was relieved to see that there were a of chances for them to cool off with streams close by. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because of the huge crowds of people at the beginning of the hike by Multon falls but once I hit the Bell Mountain trail I didn't see a soul. It's a beautiful, green hike.

Pretty much straight uphill, great views when you get out of the trees though. Only walked about 2 miles before turning around.

Good workout but scenery was not that great

Great trail for kids and dogs. The trail follows along Graves Creek most of the way with spots to stop and get in the water if needed. We only did about half of the trail starting at the South end.

Nice trail. Not too many people. We really enjoyed the views and the river is beautiful!

Great trail even when wet although there are a few slick areas. We only went about 2 miles up and then went back. Some good views about 1.5 miles up! That's where the logging has happened. Deer, woodpeckers and nobody else while we were there. Going back soon to go longer.

beautiful trail, close to town, and not very busy. easy get away from Portland with any length trail you want. highly recommend it.

Great trail, overall in great condition. A couple of large trees down at the Tarbell end of the trail otherwise pretty much clear. 17 miles out and back. Make sure you have a discover pass for parking!

Great hike today - raining most the time and pretty much had the 16.8 miles to myself!

Loved this trail! Got in 15 miles out n back total. It was well maintained even with the terrible weather this winter.

Ran this from moulton falls to the campground. Loved every step.

We parked at the top of Dole valley road so the scenery for first 3/4 mile kind of blah. But once you are in the thick of the trees it is beautiful!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Tuff and beautiful hike. runs into logging roads that connect with multiple trails from that point. Don't go unprepared like the rookies complaining about not finding the trail and bring some form of map with you. This hike literally is a gateway to multiple-day hikes and other trails, so you can easily get lost if you go unprepared. Great trail to get to Rock Creek, Tarbell, Pyramid Rock, Silverstar Mountain, and other beautiful areas. Not a hike for the inexperienced in my opinion.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

At the bottom it mentions other trails, but there's only one trail I could find. I was kind of a boring hike leading to a dead end. I eventually ended up running the whole way back, because of how steep it was going back.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Such a beautiful view when u get to the top.. Worth the hike!!!

Monday, February 15, 2016

Beautiful scenery. First part of the hike gives you a nice workout since it is mostly uphill, but it is worth it. Look forward to going back to do some backpacking/camping.

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

when you get to the logging road turn right walk down about 100 yards the trail will be on the left. enjoy the hike