Bells Mountain Trail

Bells Mountain Trail is a 16 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yacolt, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from February until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From Moulton Falls, the trail begins with a one mile steep incline through lush forest. Towards the top of Bell's Mountain, the trail goes through a clear cut. The trail is well marked every half mile but there is a road crossing near the top of Bell's Mountain that is a bit hard to pick up. When you hit the road, turn left and follow the road around to the right for about 100 yards. There is a cairn where the trail picks up again. The trail continues along the slopes of Bell's Mountain and Spotted Dear Mountain and and then descends and runs along or near Cedar Creek until the end, which is just South of the Cold Creek Day Use Area. Many folks hike the entire 7.7 mile trail as a point-to-point and have someone pick them up at the Cold Creek Day Use Area. Others just do an out-and-back from Moulton Falls. Either way, it's a great hike with spectacular views!

When we got to about mile 3 someone moved the sign and sent us in the wrong direction. We were way off track on a very hot day. Needs better signs

Went this weekend and did the full trip. Closer to 18 miles once account for for the hike to the campsites and back.

Extremely hot, coming back was more challenging than the first day. Partially because you’re sore. Partially because it’s up almost the whole way— albeit not as steep.

Biggest con is the forest area is extremely thick so there was zero breeze. Bugs were fine, but we did see snakes closer to the end of the trail. Also, it’s not quite bushwhacking level, but once you’re to the lesser travelled part it does become overgrown.

Would do again on a cooler weekend for sure.

Nice views and a good little work out

Loved this hike. my very good friend Laura and I did this today the only complaint was we had a bunch of ticks on his because the trail is over grown in spots, and the other sad part is when you go over road and get back on the trial it ends on another road and there are no signs saying which way to go.
steep steep steep!!

Out and back 17.5 miles. Trail well marked. Nice mix of open meadows, lush forest & lots of wildflowers. Views are fantastic on clear day. Took a little break at Cold Creek day use area and headed back. Day use area has no trash cans so be prepared to hike your garbage out with you. Saw animal droppings, looked like belonged to horses as they also use trail.

Hiked on May 18: well-marked trail until 3.7 Miles. After that there is no trail. Beautiful scenic views, tons of wildflowers. Be sure and check out Yacolt Falls on the way back.

Beautiful sunny day in spring. Tons of flowers. A good heart pumping hike to a beautiful view of the mountain. i was greeted by hundreds of butterflies in the clearcut revovery zone.

hard not moderate but still good went here with my son and we had a good time. lots of snow too.

Great trail the first 2.5 miles are quite beautiful, with moderate inclined, water falls, view and just simply beautiful.
I did it in rain more rain and heavy rain with 35 miles in hour wind at the top. I recommend the trail in late spring when is full of flowers. Go be free.

This is a national recreational trail - intended to preserve and celebrate our nation's pathways. The trail was built by the Chinook Trail Association. We began our one-way hike in the Cold Creek Campground and headed north on the trail with a car at each end (Moulton Falls parking lot). A good early spring hike with light rain throughout the day and patches of snow off the trail at the higher elevations (max 1600' . The trail south to north is 8 miles; 22 wooden bridges, 2 steel bridges, and a turnpike (all in good condition). Easier to go this direction since it is gradual up to the Bells Mountain trail top and then descending is easier. For the most part in mature mixed forests and follows two streams (Cold Creek then over a ridge to another unnamed one). The trail needs maintenance - duff retains water in low areas and berms need knocking down. The trail hinge has mostly disappeared from ( from milepost 3 to 8). Oregon grape, ferns, silal and other encroaching plants constrain the trail width but still passable. Most of the trail drains need cleaning out (the culverts are working well). Fir seedlings have been planted in the clear cut areas and a 15 year growth of Douglas Fir in other areas, with some thinning in older areas of restoration, makes the trail an improvement over previous years. Few realize this trail starts at Hantwick trailhead (2 miles west of the Bells Mtn trailhead) and goes 1.6 miles past Cold Creek park to the Yacolt Burn trailhead on Dole Valley Road. The extension of the Cold Creek to Yacolt Burn trailhead was improved this winter by the Washington Trails Association. A great hike with lots of forest and large trees (my score is 3.5/5.0). I do it each year about this time.

One of my favorite trails! Great scenery and awesome view!

I got a couple miles into this trail before seeing some droppings that made me uncomfortable. I was alone so I decided to turn back to Moulton Falls. The initial ascent is pretty steep but the setting is breathtaking. I will come back to this trail! One of the lushest settings I've been in in a while.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

This trail goes on forever, it's very green, can be pretty steep, but has great views after about 2 miles.

Friday, July 14, 2017

I didn't do the entire hike to the top but all and all it was beautiful! I had three dogs with me and was relieved to see that there were a of chances for them to cool off with streams close by. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because of the huge crowds of people at the beginning of the hike by Multon falls but once I hit the Bell Mountain trail I didn't see a soul. It's a beautiful, green hike.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Pretty much straight uphill, great views when you get out of the trees though. Only walked about 2 miles before turning around.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Good workout but scenery was not that great

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Great trail for kids and dogs. The trail follows along Graves Creek most of the way with spots to stop and get in the water if needed. We only did about half of the trail starting at the South end.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Nice trail. Not too many people. We really enjoyed the views and the river is beautiful!

Friday, May 05, 2017

Great trail even when wet although there are a few slick areas. We only went about 2 miles up and then went back. Some good views about 1.5 miles up! That's where the logging has happened. Deer, woodpeckers and nobody else while we were there. Going back soon to go longer.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Monday, March 20, 2017

beautiful trail, close to town, and not very busy. easy get away from Portland with any length trail you want. highly recommend it.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Great trail, overall in great condition. A couple of large trees down at the Tarbell end of the trail otherwise pretty much clear. 17 miles out and back. Make sure you have a discover pass for parking!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Great hike today - raining most the time and pretty much had the 16.8 miles to myself!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Loved this trail! Got in 15 miles out n back total. It was well maintained even with the terrible weather this winter.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Ran this from moulton falls to the campground. Loved every step.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

We parked at the top of Dole valley road so the scenery for first 3/4 mile kind of blah. But once you are in the thick of the trees it is beautiful!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Tuff and beautiful hike. runs into logging roads that connect with multiple trails from that point. Don't go unprepared like the rookies complaining about not finding the trail and bring some form of map with you. This hike literally is a gateway to multiple-day hikes and other trails, so you can easily get lost if you go unprepared. Great trail to get to Rock Creek, Tarbell, Pyramid Rock, Silverstar Mountain, and other beautiful areas. Not a hike for the inexperienced in my opinion.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

8 hours from Moulton Falls parking lot to the crossroads and back plus a 20 minute break at thr falls at the top. My time does include stopping to take in the view at around the 1.5 mile point and photos. In regard to views, not really worth going past that, but I am endurance training. Lots of clear cut = boring and sunny (it was like 90 when I went). The trail is in good shape though; some blackberries starting to creap across the trail but nothing major. At the 2.5 mile mark is a logging road; turn right (down hill) and the trail will continue on your right. The first quarter mile or so is the hardest in regard to incline.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

At the bottom it mentions other trails, but there's only one trail I could find. I was kind of a boring hike leading to a dead end. I eventually ended up running the whole way back, because of how steep it was going back.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Such a beautiful view when u get to the top.. Worth the hike!!!