Bedal Creek Trail

Bedal Creek Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October.

No parking at trailhead; just find a wide spot in the narrow road and don't block the way. No facilities.

Thursday, August 02, 2012

(Sorry my photo doesn't look upside down on my computer or iPhone. I uploaded it a second time after rotating it in Preview, but now there's two upside down ones!! Does anyone know how to delete photos?)

This was a challenging hike for my wife and I in some respects, but not for our friend, John, who has more high-country experience than us. I need to qualify that, because we went beyond Bedal Basin. If you're turning around at the basin, this is a fairly straight-forward and moderate hike, which is why I rate it moderate.
We were aiming higher, though. Upward from the basin, heading toward the south flank of Sloan Peak, we were hoping to bag a peak (no name I know of) beyond the ridge you see to the right side of Sloan. Instead, we turned around at that ridge.
Left the TH at 8:30 and arrived at the ridgetop at 3:30. Lingered there for close to an hour taking in the unbelievable views, and then got back to the TH at 8 pm. If you're only going to the basin, it only took 2-1/2 hours for us to make it to that point.
What made it difficult for us was that we missed the official trail (look for cairns at the rocky chute; we missed the crucial one) and scrambled up a rough chute of bolders, then traversed an even rougher field of boulders before ascending a very steep chute of snow on crampons and ice axe. The boulder city was unstable and I don't recommend it! A very large boulder rolled down toward me at one point and I very nearly lost a foot or knee to it. As it was, my catlike reflexes resulted in only scrapes and bruises.
It is a lonesome trail--we were the only ones there on a beautiful weekend day.