Bear Lake Trail

Bear Lake Trail is a 0.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.7 miles Elevation Gain: 124 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of November 2019, the road leading to the trailhead is full of potholes and flooded. Check with the park site for more information before visiting. Directions from Verlot: Travel east on the Mt. Loop Hwy. 4.5 miles. Turn right on the Schweitzer Creek Road #4020 and continue 2.3 miles to Bear Lake Road #4021. Turn right onto this road and continue for 3.4 miles to the trailhead.

flooded

the forest road getting there isnt that bad. definitely need a suv or truck, there are some gnarly potholes. Disappointed when we got to the trail head, so wet and rainy the trail was a mini creek we walked through. about .1 miles in though the entire trail is flooded and covered with trees making it impossible to continue. Looks like this last weeks wind storm has made bear lake trail closed for now. BEAUTIFUL WATERFALLS and drive up too it though.

Nice, short hike to a beautiful lake. Road is full of potholes, however, so be advised

closed

I wish I could review the actual trail but alas I couldn't get there. The road leading up to the trailhead is NOT ACCESSIBLE AS OF MAY 2 !!! It's awfully full of potholes leading up, then about two miles to the trail is a few inches of slushy icy snow. My F150 was able to maneuver the deep potholes but be warned there are places where the holes are two feet deep. Do not attempt to get to the trailhead until at least end of June. The tow truck to pull you out of the snow will cost a pretty penny. I had a lovely hike down the mountain to the nearest house with a landline to call the police, and the sheriff who responded was incredibly nice and helpful. Just wait until July for Bear Lake. The other ones less high up on the mountain like Lake 22 and Heather lake are fine to drive up as long as you've got a high clearance.

Tue Sep 04 2018

The hike itself is beautiful, quiet and mostly clear trail full of big trees and wildflowers perfect for a small child or children. Easy hike not too long up to a wonderful lake with a few places to walk around and see the water, dragonflies, flowers and watch fish jump in scenic dark green lake. Access to the lake is limited with just the view in between trees and a few places to get right down to the boggy green lush lake. There’s a small space to eat lunch and have the kids explore. I’m not giving it 5 stars, I would love to but the road up to the trail head is horrible. It’s hard to enjoy the hike when you know you have to drive back down the road which happens to be about 7 miles of miserable damaged road with little space to pull over for cars coming the opposite way. It’s a bad start and finish to what really is an amazing little hike my son absolutely loved. Hope some maintenance to the road in the future could promote a happier hike all around!

Mon Sep 03 2018

The trail and lake were both nice, but there wasn’t much of a trail around the lake. It’s definitely a kid friendly hike, we went with our 4yr old and he enjoyed it. I’m giving it a 2 star rating because how unbearable the drive to the trail head is. It’s about 6 miles of single lane road filled with large/very large pot holes and rocks... the entire way. We went in a good sized SUV and it was still a pretty uncomfortable drive.

Mon May 28 2018

Fantastic hike! The road up is very rough. You could take your car up it, but why would you do that to your poor car? I advise a truck or SUV. When we went (Memorial Day) there was still quite a bit of snow. In fact the lake was mostly frozen. Our dog jumped in anyway. Was a blast!

Thu Mar 29 2018

Tried to go here today and the road was still snowed in. Will be back this summer.

Sat Nov 11 2017

We did this hike today and it was great! It was very easy and perfect for my 3year old and elderly dog! There was some snow on the trail but not too much. The road getting up the the trailhead was pretty rough as there were many large pot holes so I would recommend a truck or SUV

Sat Aug 12 2017

The road in is long and bumpy but the lake is beautiful! Perfect first hike for my three year old to try out her new "pack pack".

Tue May 30 2017

Good trail, Really easy hike. Good for little kids. The road leading up to it is horrible though.

Mon Nov 28 2016

Spontaneously decided to go for a hike with my best friend in the morning and researched a few easy hikes... (he's not a big hiker) Stumbled upon this one and thought we'd give it a go. The drive up to the trail was pretty sketchy with a lot of sharp rocks on the narrow road with pretty deep and hidden potholes. Besides the scary drive up it was a nice, short hike to the lake. It just so happened to be snowing as we drove up and hiked to the lake which was pretty neat! Overall, would hike again someday... but drive up with a truck instead a Honda civic....

Thu May 12 2016

Very cool!

Sun Dec 14 2014

Nice and short, strait to the point. A lake. Even in November it was beautiful. Fallen trees, branches and leaves all over. It was a beautiful hike. Pack a lunch and have yourself a picnic, relax and enjoy the view. Took the dog as well. Definitely doing this again during the spring and summer.

Sun May 18 2014

Short hike up to beautiful lake. Has a couple of primitive camp sites and a toilet. We heard owls and saw a tiny toad. The road up is gravel, but well maintained. Forest road 4020, then turn right onto 4021 to end. Pinnacle and Ashland are on 4021 as well.

Fri Sep 07 2012

Very amazing. Long drive. Went to hike pinnacle and had to see bear while we were there.

Mon Aug 13 2012

The family had a nice hike out to Bear Lake. The trail is very easy and short. We brought our inflatable raft and fished from it and on shore. Caught 4 trout between 6 and 8 inches. When we were done fishing we swam, the water is still a little cold but it felt great on a hot day!

Wed Sep 01 2010

The road is washed out so you have to walk about a mile on a gravel road to reach the trailhead. (The washouts are steep but there is room to pass on foot. Once you have reached the trail head it is a short, level stroll through the woods to a great picnic spot for the family.

recorded Recording - Sep 25, 05:05 PM