Bear Creek Mountain

Bear Creek Mountain is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Naches, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,489 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note you need a high ground clearance vehicle to get to the trailhead as it is rocky and uneven terrain.

Pretty scenic trail, amazing views at the end. Flat throughout except the last mile which was pretty steep. Would also recommend a high clearance vehicle for getting to the trailhead, the last 1/2 mile of the road up was in bad shape but there are areas to pull off and park if you don’t have an SUV.

Nice day hike in the GR Wilderness with spectacular views at the top. The trail is in great shape and easy to follow. The route is fairly flat for 2 miles ducking in and out of meadows then starts to climb among the scree and talus slopes up to the top of the ridge. Almost all the vertical is in the last mile to the top. I can see why this would be a good hike for kids. Will be back again.

6.9 miles 1310’ easy trail at the beginning. Last mile is quite steep. This tracking includes driving to the trail head from Yakima. GPS from trail head show 6.9-7.3 miles round trip.

Great trail! Back packed in and made camp. It was raining the first day so we decided to hike to the top the next day. The views were amazing! Would recommend over and over!

Great hike. Surprised how flat it was minus the last mile. Great day hike. I’ve never seen so many ladybugs my life though at the top.

Beautiful hike, one of my favorites. Hiked 7/29/19 with bluebird skies, amazing views of Adams and Rainier. Lightly trafficked, wildflower meadows galore. This took us 4.5h RT with a nice 40m lunch up top. Lady bugs everywhere at the peak, minimal mosquitos. Trail is well maintained. Absolutely worth it! Warnings: add 20-30m of drive time to google estimates. Download area maps and screenshot directions as you will lose service. Access road is very bumpy with large rocks- consider vehicle with high ground clearance. Most of this hike is easy but the last mile should absolutely be rated “hard”; a steep grade with lots of loose sand/dirt/rocks. Hiking poles recommended esp for the way down. Intermittent shade. None the last mile. The app says this is a 7mi hike, 3 different phones clocked this at ~9mi, a more accurate estimate I believe. Very isolated, consider first aid pack, extra water, 10 essentials.

We hiked on 7/25 and it couldn’t have been a more beautiful day. Tons of wildflowers along the trail. Easy hike until last mile which is rocky and steep, but worth it as the view at the top is spectacular. Mt. Adam’s and Mt. Rainier both visible. Swarms of lady bugs at the top. This was a wonderful hike!

Wow - a beautiful hike leading to amazing views. Probably the best hike I’ve ever done. The road getting in is long and a little rough the last couple miles, and particularly the last half mile. The trail was quite easy until the last mile and a half from the top...but the top is spectacular and worth all the effort.

It was overcast when I started and then started raining. The parts of the trail I could see were very cool. Had to turn back near the top due to wind and rain. Would love to do again when it wasn’t raining.

Did this 7/2. Reached the 3 mile mark and decided to turn around due to the steep snow and rocks. Probably could have continued without a dog but I had trouble keeping her in the right direction while maintaining my footing. The trail is very well marked and maintained and the scenery is fantastic. Will do again someday later in the season.

Mon Oct 22 2018

Need high ground clearance to get to the trailhead. Wonderful hike!

Fri Aug 10 2018

it's one of my best hikes

Fri Aug 03 2018

Nice trail. Moderate difficulty. took my pup!

Sat Jul 28 2018

Lots of mosquito's, bring a tent. Lots of open clearings to watch the stars and night and sooo very quiet. Perfect easy backpacking trip.

Mon Jul 23 2018

Great views of Adams, the Goat Rocks, and Rainier. Road is in good shape except the last 2 1/2 miles which is pretty rough and would be a real challenge if you don't have a high clearance vehicle.

Sun Jul 22 2018

This is my new favorite hike. I think we picked the ideal day to go. No one was around and the weather was perfect. The flowers were all in bloom. The view was incredible!!! Amazing is all I can say!

Tue Jul 10 2018

We went Thursday to 7/5 to check conditions and hiked the trail on 7/6. The mosquitoes were as expected unbearable both days for about the 1st mile. After that they were non existent. The trails were good with some wetland marshes and creeks that were easily passable. There was water flowing down a 1/4 of the trail but it also wasn’t a factor. We had a group of 9 with small children and they all did great. The snow fields the last mile were slippery and we had to make new steps. The top was to steep for the kids to cross safely so we turned back to return later in the season. Wild flowers were in full bloom and the weather was perfect. Aug 1 will be perfect. Road was is good condition for most cars. The last 2-3 miles was rough. We made it just fine in a 15 passenger van

Tue Jul 10 2018

One of the best effort-to-views trails that there is. Be sure to start from the Section 3 trailhead—not the trailhead in Conrad Meadows.

Mon Jul 09 2018

First time up and was very impressed! Last 4 miles of road require a vehicle with some ground clearance, there was a Subaru Outback that made it. Some bugs at start by section 3 lake. Trails in great shape and easy to follow. Some snow, but no problems. Last 1/2 mike is steep, but not too bad. Loved how the full view is hidden until the end. We will be back!

Tue Oct 03 2017

I hiked this trail many years ago with my youngest sister. I don't even recall the year, but I do remember it was in the month of October as there was fresh snow. I rated the hike with 5 stars because it is a pleasant, moderate hike and the view from the top is incredible! I have basically taken pics of old pictures to show how it was like in October, though I have done this on a very clear sunny day on my own. Let me tell you that not only do get a great view of the Goat rocks, you can also see Mt. Adams and Mount Rainier quite well in the distance!

Sun Sep 24 2017

Hands down the best views of the Goatrocks for the effort! Bring a vehicle with clearance though, the last two miles get rough. Super flat and easy for 80% with most of the elevation gain happening right at the end. The loose volcanic rock on the ascent is a frustrating, but it passes quickly. Enjoy the view but bring a jacket for the top!

Sun Jul 30 2017

I did this yesterday with my daughter who is getting ready for cross country. It's a nice trail for hiking or for trim running which we did The trail was in great condition with only one dead fall and that could easily be stepped over. Essentially all the snow is off the trail but there still plenty of running water for dogs along the trail. Still had plenty of wildflowers in the Meadows but I'm assuming they Will be gone quickly. The road is a little bumpy the last 2 miles but much better since they filled it in with rock much better than the deep ruts it used to be. First half-mile is a little uphill and then somewhat flat and rolling for the next 2 miles then the last mile is a steep 800 foot ascent over some scree and rock. Bugs were not a problem especially while moving. Great views from the summit as always

Sat Aug 27 2016

Great trail. The view from the top is like nothing I've seen before!

Sun Aug 14 2016

best hike I've done so far this summer. pretty easy-going three-quarters of the way until you start your climb to the top. once you get to the top it will all be worth it with the views that await you. can't wait to do it again.

Sat Jul 23 2016

Beautiful hike with a fabulous view at the top. Some snow around on July 23.

Fri Sep 11 2015

Trail seamed washed out in most places and the overgrowth was dreadful! But still pretty when you stopped to look around.

Fri Sep 11 2015

We hiked on a warm September afternoon and couldn't have asked for better. Subalpine meadows and forests for the first 2.5 miles after Section 3 Lake, then an 800ft thigh-burner for the last mile up to the summit of Bear Creek Mountain. Great views east all the way up, and wonderful views of Adams, Goat Rocks and Rainier at the top. I imagine in late Spring, this area would be mind-blowing with a little more snow on the ridges and wildflowers in the meadows. We look forward to returning in June/July next year. The road to the trailhead is a little rough, but easily doable for anything besides a sports car. 4wd would only be necessary in snowy or very muddy conditions.