Bead Lake Trail

Bead Lake Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newport, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Directions from Newport: Follow US 2 across the Pend Oreille River into Idaho. Turn north on the first road on the other side of the bridge. This will be LeClerc Rd (County Rd 9305). Follow LeClerc for approximately 6 miles and then turn right onto Forest Road 3215. Continue on this road for half a mile to the trailhead. The parking area is on the south side of the road and is designated by signs.

Beautiful trail with lots of potential. More fun in the winter than the summer, we’ve done during both seasons. Lots of wildlife as well.

Beautiful hike

one of my favorite places

Great hike! If you don't mind the downhill jaunt to access the water. A lot of the trail runs along hill side. So may not be suitable for smaller children. The lake is beautiful. A few great camp sites along the way.

Bead Lake is one of the more scenic trails near Spokane and well worth the hour drive north.

Trails are clear and nice to hike. View of the lake is beautiful. There are cliff trails and steep trails.

Hiked out to last campsite at about the 8km mark and spent the night. Trail was well maintained and campsites were clean! Would stop at one of the earlier campsites with lake access if camping here again, they were a lot nicer than the last one.

This trail was well marked, parked at the free area and did 4.9 miles out and back. Restroom at boat launch was nasty smelling. Ugh.
Wind kept bugs away and the day was 70's and sunny. I wasn't expected as much hill climbing. Two hills, and would have liked my poles due to old knees. Found 3 camp sites, very clean. Many lupine, Twin flowers, tiger lilies, Honeysuckle. Water was beautiful light turquoise. One of my favorites.

Awesome trail- very easy and beautiful!

Hiked today. Trail was good. One damp spot and a few fallen trees. Easier than I thought

We made this trip the Friday-Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. A group of seven of us hiked to the end of the trail and camped for the night. The trail was basically empty on the hike out; a few people at the very first campsites. On the way back we passed 3 or 4 backpacking groups. It's a deceptively difficult hike. We're all young and in relatively good shape, and we had to stop for breaks a few times, especially on the way back. There are a few pretty steep sections. Granted, we were all wearing packs. The trail was just about completely clear; maybe one or two downed trees.
We made it to the end of the trail in a couple of hours I think, and we camped there. The trail comes to an end in a cedar grove, although there is a sign for the "Bead Lake Spur Trail", which goes over a bridge to the left. We scouted this, but it sort of just dissolves into the brush after a little over a mile. Not much to see down that trail, unless you're looking for a little exercise.
The camp site is nice. It's right along a little stream, and there's room for 10 or so people. There's a fire pit and some logs to sit on. We were hoping the campsite would be right on the lake, but it's about a 7 minute walk to the lake, either via the main trail or the spur trail. If you want to camp on the lake shore, pick one of the earlier sites. Bugs were present but not terrible. Two of us fished for bass for about two hours and didn't catch anything.
All in all a great trip, although there are a number of hikes in the surrounding area that offer more striking scenery. This is a good one to use as a warm up while the snow is melting everywhere else.

The Bead Lake Trail is a beautiful hike. The trail follows the lake shore most of the way. It elevates slightly and drops down into beautiful cedar groves multiple times. Other than a few easily navigable downed trees the trail and area is well taken care of. We even saw a deer walking the trail that seemed comfortable around people.
In three of these cedar groves along the way are campsites with the best one (in my mind) at the end of the trail about five miles in. I definitely plan on camping there in the future. This is not a "glamping" camp area as there are no roads to the sites. If you plan on dragging a bunch of stuff along with you be prepared to pay the price and you might want a couple beers handy when you get there. You pack it in, you pack it out.

I would rate this trail as easy for active people but the length out and back (over 10 mile by fit bit) leans closer to moderate. I wouldn't recommend trying to take children the whole way unless you like carrying them. Instead there is a beautiful campsite about 30 minutes in that would be perfect for the whole family.

Beautiful hike, variety of scenery entire time. Trail is well maintained, follows along lake mostly, small section that elevates and takes you back away from lake. The hike in (5 mi. one way then must come back out) I would not categorize as easy compared to other trails on here rated as easy. My 4 yr old would not make this round trip on her own and it would be a stretch for my 10yr old to complete entire hike. I hike regular and was tired after round trip hike roughly 11 mi. Cedar grove sections and 3-4 dispersed camping sites you hike into, it would be work if you had a lot of camp gear but def worth it, the camping sites were great spots along trail. Whole hike is def worth it, at just over 5 mi you reach end of trail, it ends at very cool spot b4 having to turn around come back out.

nice easy trail. worth making the trip.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

I did this on a frosty day in December. I was recovering from the flu, so I was planning on doing a couple of miles, and quitting, but it was so lovely, I went all of the way in and out. One of the things I like about this hike is the fact that you don't need to drive for three hours on a rocky track to get there. It's paved road most of the way. The trail is easy to find, and easy to follow. It loops around the shore of the lake, so you almost always have a nice view. Even with snow on the trail, it was easy going most of the way. There are a couple of camp sites along the route. It looks like a pleasant place to have an overnight camp in better weather.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Very enjoyable hike, suitable for all age groups. Beautiful fall day, with a little fog hanging in the low areas. Much more beautiful than I expected. Saw a deer shed along the trail, along with the beautiful fall colors

Saturday, October 22, 2016

The trail was a little slippery and loose at the end, but we have had a bit of rain. The entire hike was gorgeous.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Beautiful lake and a well maintained trail.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Great hike, easy for little kids! We took our 6 kids ranging 16 down to 2 and they all had a blast!

Friday, July 29, 2016

Beautiful trail! Easy, well maintained, gorgeous lake, backpacking opportunities.