Beacon Rock Trail

Beacon Rock Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hike the core of a volcano! An easy-moderate walk up this 845ft tall remnant of a 57,000 year old eruption. Beacon Rock is a the core of an ancient volcano. Over thousands of years, hundreds of massive floods (originating in Missoula Montana) careened through the Columbia River Gorge and carved away the volcano's main structure, leaving only the lava core you see today. Depending on the definition and expert you talk to, it is the second largest free standing monolith in the northern hemisphere! The trail up Beacon Rock is short and manageable for day-hikers of all ages, at just under a mile each direction. It is well maintained, although not paved most the way. BACKGROUND: Beacon Rock is 848 feet (258 m) tall and is composed of Basalt. The United States Army Corps of Engineers planned to destroy the rock to supply material for the jetty at the mouth of the ColumbiaIn. In 1915 Henry Biddle purchased the rock for $1 and over the next three years constructed the switchbacks and trail, most of which is still in use today. After his death, Biddle's family tried to make it a state park. At first Washington refused the gift, but changed its position when Oregon offered to accept. $10 day pass needed

Super easy quick trail. Lived in the pnw all my life and have been on many hikes but just never managed to come here. Finally did it and it was a piece of cake.
I would understand if someone afraid of heights had a hard time but it’s very much worth it!

Great views, easy hike

Great views! A bit frightening for someone that doesn’t like heights but the payoff was well worth it.

This was my 1st hike in Oregon and I couldn't be happier! This hike had gorgeous views of the gorge, forest, and wildflowers!

great hike and once you make it to the top all you see is beauty from god

amazing views

This hike is beautiful for a misty and rainy day. I would definitely recommend heading out this way to take advantage of some incredible Gorge views. This can be very busy, and hiking footwear is not needed, since the trails are paved.

Arrived at 8:30 on a weekday and had the trail to myself. Not a difficult climb but will get your heart pumping a bit. Be sure to enjoy the view from the trail, as there is somewhat limited viewing from the top. Well worth it!!

Quick, fun little hike. Our pups and 7 year old visitor had no issues. Great views at the top even though it was pretty cloudy and rainy. Some parts on the trail are wooden and they were pretty slippery.

04/18/2018
Easy hike on a well maintained trail. Great views of the Columbia river. Parking can get crowded. This trail is is short, but it serves its purpose.

Love the views!

incredible views. and very well maintained. soo nice and easy.

Took my 10 year old son out for his first hike of the season and had a great time. First time here. It was very busy, which was to be expected on Memorial Day weekend; but we found a parking spot and enjoyed the day. Definitely high cliffs so I wouldn’t take anyone afraid of heights or with a very young child- just my opinion. Beautiful views along the way and at the top; albeit crowded. Also note that you have to have a Discovery Pass as it is in the state of Washington. All in all a great 1.8 mike hike with quick elevation gain.

Rich in history!
Along the zig zag trip up the 800ft you see a plack as well with all the old anchors of the many years ago.
The view is phenomenal with birds, scenic & the herds from below.
Railing but I would still trust my feet a bit more then allowing full weight, let alone my 2 year old (keep kids on the inside of you).

Guys! This trail had me smiling the whole way up. The railings and the constant views are wonderful. If you are scared of heights PLEASE push past the fear and try it! The bridges and railings are very stable and safe. No mud. It is straight uphill but there are places you can stop. Get here EARLY. If you want to check it out before you go take a look at my YouTube video I did on this! Copy/paste the link below.

Fun time with my wife and our 9YO. Trail was well maintained, and suitable for many abilities due to the switchbacks and hand railings. Area on top was pretty small could see how it could get crowded on nice weather weekends.

beautiful views!

I hiked this trail with my mom. It was really nice, with stunning views of the Columbia River. I would definitely do this hike again on a beautiful rain-free day!

Can't believe I have never been here before. It's a must see. The views are great even though Beacon Rock doesn't sit as high as other gorge hike destinations. It's hard to imagine a couple guys made all those pathways a hundred years ago? Surely a few boards have been replaced since then! Had a fun time with Mom and my nephew.

First time go there . Beautiful place easy to walk . You can look at the Columbia river Gorge. My family have fun go there . Recommend to go there.

This one intimidated me for years, but was well worth it!!
Very unique experience with the way the trail is formed with suspension bridges and barely there railings. Kind of scary with 4 year old, but she used her listening ears and it was GREAT!

Amazing! View easy short hike only took us about and hour. Only thing is would say that wasn’t enjoyable is the suspended wood bridges lol.

I’m a flat lander from Illinois. The switchbacks elicit fears out of every turn. But make it to the top and it’s smooth sailing all the way down. I noticed some flowering trees on the way down that I had not seen on the way up. I don’t know if it was the adrenaline of reaching the top that made the the way down so easy or the perspective of knowing the top.

Very unique. I have a very healthy fear of heights... mainly vertigo, but I managed. The views are spectacular.

Good start to the season.

Pretty easy hike! Will definitely be going again =)

awesome hike! definitely would do it again

Easy and short hike up to the top, but surprised more people haven’t talked about the heights! I’ve hiked well over 30 trails in the Oregon/Washington area, and this is one of the few that actually made me nervous on my way to the top! There are guard rails, but it’s just wide open to the side of the rock as you ascend. Worth it for the views at the top!

Great walk! The gorge winds made it an epic climb up the switchbacks. Totally worth going to the top.

One of the best hikes in the gorge. Uphill but easy.