Learn more

Beacon Hill Loop from Shields Park Trailhead

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(138)
John C. Shields Park

Beacon Hill Loop from Shields Park Trailhead is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Spokane, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 2.8 mi Elevation gain 682 ft Route type Loop

Photos (81)
Recordings (175)
Completed (212)
Jason Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 14, 2020
Hiking

Really cool and diverse area for all sorts of activities. Hiking, mountain biking. and rock climbing. The first part of this is not well marked at all, hence the 4 stars.

View Jason's Recording
Michael Wind
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020

Lots of different trails to choose from. you would never get bored.

Benjamin Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020

Good, but not enough trail markings at splits. There’s a lot of splits

View Benjamin's Recording
C C
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 23, 2020

stay away

View C's Recording
Carrie Pearson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 17, 2020
HikingRocky

Easy to get turned around and off course if you aren’t following the map closely. There are a lot of trails intersecting. Otherwise very beautiful trail!

View Carrie's Recording
Emma Barbee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 11, 2020
View Emma's Recording
Caitlin Anne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 10, 2020
HikingRocky

Lots of trails to share with mountain bikers. Lower part is shady and nice, upper part has less cover and is hot. Some broken glass and graffiti but not as much as I expected based on other reviews, and even then, only close to the bottom. Peaceful, not crowded at all. Some steep spots both up and down. As someone with sub-standard balance, I wish I had brought my hiking poles.

Michael Cioffi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 6, 2020

So badass!

View Michael's Recording
Amber Nichols
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 20, 2020
HikingMuddy

the trails are a little confusing. we ended up hopping from one park to the other and not knowing it.

View Amber's Recording
Jenelle Poole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 27, 2020
HikingMuddy
View Jenelle 's Recording
Lyn-Heather Bell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 26, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky
Jennifer DAmour
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 13, 2020
HikingOff trail

Great

View Jennifer's Recording
Lyn-Heather Bell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 29, 2019
HikingRocky

A good hike with lots of trails but a lot of graffiti and homeless litter too.

Lyn-Heather Bell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 2, 2019
Hiking

Loads of trails, but caution: it’s very popular with cyclists. Some homeless camps and a lot of trash in some places. Keep your map on as it’s easy to get lost.

Marcie Eastwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 15, 2019
Hiking

Agree with other reviews: Lots of trail offshoots, trail not well marked, graffiti, glass. That being said, there were some nice views & the uphill first half definitely gets the heart going.

Cheyeanne Murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2019

broken glass everywhere

Tyrrell Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 24, 2019
Hiking

Good hiking trail. Very easy to get lost if you don't have the map downloaded... luckily I have friends in high places EE. Over all I was able to accomplish my goals of getting in a good workout

Matt & Bridget
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2019

confusing

Brendon McMahon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2019

Beacon Hill has extensive single track for mountain biking. Still a worthwhile and mostly easy, quick hike that gives you a 360 degree view of greater Spokane.

Jason Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 14, 2019
Running

Flowers all blooming. Smells great!

View Jason's Recording
Benjamin Turner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 1, 2017
Hiking

Great, convenient spot for training to do real mountain hikes and climbs. Too much litter, graffiti, and too many splits to recommend it for anything but training or watching Felts Field. I run it with a 30lb pack for endurance, and climb rocks here and there, but people ruin the nature aspect.

Tom VDG
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 22, 2017
Mountain biking

There was a lot of climbing involved, I would do it again but after going up once I was too tired, so I went home...do not recommend if it is your first time on a mountain bike trail.

Karen Salmon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2017
Rock climbing

I'm sure this is a lovely hike but there were far too many signs of unscrupulous questionable activity. We hiked 10 minutes, listened to our gut and turned around.

PhLo M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 7, 2017
Hiking

There isn't anything official about this loop route. It's somewhat arbitrary among hundreds of trail splits that could also turn into loops. It's hard to follow because there are so many options. But I rarely concern myself with following a loop anyway since I like to explore. This area is so-so, but not amazing for hiking. It's probably more fun on a mountain bike. There are simply too many trails with nearly paths. Really, you can't ride/walk 3 feet to an intersection, so you make 2 or 3 new trails to cut the corner? And instead of picking a side of a tree (left or right), the trail goes around both sides! Toooo many! But I enjoy getting out just about anywhere, so I rarely give terribly low ratings unless some catastrophe happened that ruined my day (hasn't happened yet). Oh, almost forgot to mention I encountered a skunk! I didn't realize they walk so slow until now. It claimed the trail and didn't even budge when it saw me coming. Yeah, it owned the place, and I had to bushwhack to get around it.

Megan Potter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 23, 2017

I went with my one year old carrying him and my 4 yo who actually is a good hiker (we go hiking all the time). But the trails were very rocky, quite steep for him, and very confusing. There were so many trails I had no idea which one to stick to for this loop. I even had out my All Trails app and it showed me where I was in relation to the trail and many times it said I was not on the mapped route. I also parked in the wrong parking area and started on the wrong trailhead, I think the gps was a bit off or the map is off. We ended up taking a short cut and cutting the hike short because my 4yo just couldn't do the steep hill. We got lost many times not knowing which trail to take. We had to do a few turn arounds and then followed someone out hoping he would lead us out down the right path. Bottom line, don't take kids on this hike, and don't be on a time limit. Be familiar with the trail before you go or go with someone who knows the trails. Also there IS a legitimate parking lot with a sign where the trail head is just east of where the gps says to go. Happy trails!

Daniel Mitchell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 20, 2017
Hiking

This looks like an alright place for rock climbers. It is also not a bad hiking spot, if you happen to live in the area. The trails are steep in places, and sometimes a little hard to find. Sadly, lowlifes have defaced some of the beautiful rocks with unsightly graffiti. There are some fair views of the greater Spokane area at higher elevations. There were marmots running around all over the place - so cute!

Scott Farthing
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 1, 2017
Hiking

Walked through deep snow from John Shields park. It was quite a workout. It's a great walk close to home. View at the top is great; you can see Spokane Valley on one side and downtown Spokane and north Spokane on the other.

Bill Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 21, 2016
Hiking

Lots of room, walked 3 dogs, seen lots of Mountain bikes. went about 3 miles, Great view of valley.

Heather Thurman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2016
Hiking

Geat steep hike going up the path we took, rocky, only took an hour total. Nice view.