Banner Forest Heritage Park Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(232)
Banner Forest Heritage Park

Banner Forest Heritage Park Loop is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Port Orchard, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 193 feet Route Type: Loop

Banner Forest Hiking and Equestrian Park is a beautiful 635-acre public open space in the Olalla area. The forest, which includes trees, ponds and wetlands, was acquired by Kitsap County in October 2000 after ten years of community effort to preserve this resource in its present state for all citizens in perpetuity. The trails are primarily used for hiking, equestrian riding, and mountain biking.

went exploring on a few other legs after the mishmash loop. wonderful trails

What a fun place to wander around. Tons of side trails to explore.

closed

I ran this trail, but be aware this is not one trail but a series of 2-3 different ones. I really wanted to give 5 stars, as the first half was gorgeous, but the second half there was so many parts that were flooded, which I understand is normal for hikes, but it was a terrible inconvenience.

flooded

I went on this trail over the weekend and took my dog. It was a really nice stroll, but a lot of the side trails were completely flooded. I just wore standard hiking boots, so I just stuck to this main trail. If you have high rubber boots and enjoy walking through deep puddles, enjoy! I'm definitely interested in doing the side trails when it's not so wet.

flooded

Fun to take the dog out on. Lots of people biking. Interesting trail system

Banner Forest has an off leash dog problem. Today all five dogs I met with my on leash shy dog were off leash. If I wanted to deal with off leash dogs, I'd go to a dog park. it's ruining the usability for people who follow the law. Today my dog was attacked, and when I got her behind me, the dog came after me. When the owner finally showed up, she couldn't even catch her dog. And didn't have a word to say. Suffice to say I had a few choice words for her. Be very careful if you take your dog here.

Great trail, fairly easy hike. Lots of smaller trails that branch off. The only improvement would be a pit toilet somewhere along the trail.

Be sure to have your GPS going the whole time. Towards the end there are so many side trails and I got lost and had to backtrack several times.

Constant shade and beautiful scenery! The hike was wonderful, very little to no notice in the change of elevation. We did encounter many mountain bikers; however there was more than sufficient space for all of us to share the trail. The only down side to our hike was the amount of horse and dog poop left behind by negligent pet owners. Watch your steps!

Nice walk near home. Lots of miles of trail available.

Great trails in good shape. Elevation changes weren’t too nuts so it was very runnable. Lots and lots of small offshoot trails, so having a picture of the map is important. Doesn’t hurt to track your route with MapMyRun or something similar too. I didn’t see anyone else during my 5.5 mile run, but once I got back to the parking lot, a few others emerged with their dogs.

great trails. walking, biking, jogging and horse back riding.

Thu Apr 18 2019

a great walk after work.

Wed Apr 03 2019

I visited this trail yesterday. It’s very peaceful. Even if the trail lot has a few cars you probably won’t see anyone on your journey through. The trail wasn’t muddy or trashed like another reviewer stated. I saw two cigarette butts and one tissue on my 3.8 mile journey through. Definitely take a map in with you or just take a picture of the map at the trailhead and if you forget there is another map on the main trail. You’ll want to know where to turn to cut through and back. There was a lot of horse sh!t, but it didn’t phase me at all. The horses were in the parking lot when I came out.

Thu Mar 28 2019

Dog poop and toilet paper EVERYWHERE. On the trail, off the trail, fresh and old. Please, dog owners!!! Pick up after your dogs. And I’ve seen more used toilet paper and trash in the bushes here than I’ve ever seen in a forest. I’ve visited this place several times in the last couple years and I’m disappointed every time. This forest is “in town” compared to most forests, so I think most people who visit here are not serious hikers and don’t necessarily understand trail etiquette. A place like this needs a porta-potty. I usually don’t mind collecting a few pieces of trash while I’m hiking, but this place is a bio-hazard.

Sat Mar 02 2019

Wed Jan 30 2019

Little muddy in some spots on the larger loop but the smaller trails that cut off were great and well maintained.

Sat Jan 19 2019

Sun Dec 23 2018

Great walk, easy main loop. Side trails are marked occasionally not so well. The map around the trails isn’t very accurate. So make sure you have another map on a phone. Beautiful the dog loved it. Nice place to stroll not much to look at.

Fri Nov 23 2018

I enjoyed the forest view. There are some nice camera moments as you go along the trail. The hike is not difficult at all. Even some of the trail names are entertaining. It's a good one to try.