Bandera Mountain Summit

Bandera Mountain Summit is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,218 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Take I-90 east. Exit 45. Turn left. Follow the Forest Road for ~3miles. Road is gravel but there is a parking lot, at the trailhead, with video-surveillance. Recreation Pass required.

Thurs 12/5: FR 9030 / Mason Lake Rd / FR 9031 was CLOSED. Not sure why or when it will reopen.

icy

(11/30) Incredible trail that is absolutely worth the effort. Light, packed snow that covered trail from start to finish was no problem with microspikes (I saw a few people at the top who weren't wearing any but I don't think I would have been comfortable without them). Last mile or so was a fun, windy scramble with wonderful views of Mt. Rainier and surrounding Cascades; we were even able to see Seattle and the Olympics in the distance. Hiked to Mason Lake on the way back and it was completely frozen over (saw some hockey players!). Road to trailhead was snow free and smooth, bar a few potholes. Overall a great hike. Forgot to record on alltrails but roughly 11 miles and 3800 ft elevation gain accounting to fitbit

Don’t bother going to the real summit. The trail is so overgrown that I got lost many times and then the summit does not have great views.

Hiked on 11/15. Steady incline up to the trail split to mason lake. The last scramble to the false summit was a fun workout to get the blood pumping. No snow then, but I’d imagine that has changed by now

The last 1.5 mi to the TH was a little rough with some areas of potholes close together, some big and deep. Low clearance cars go slow and be careful, should be ok. I arrived at 0730 and was the second car there. The TH vault toilet is unlocked and decently clean. The Ira Springs trail is in good condition, no snow. Once it splits off to Bandera, it gets steep and rocky. Further up, there is some snow - though not enough for traction. Though it’s probably less than an inch, it is present on the rock fields which made it a bit slick in places and hard to tell where the trail was. I used All Trails to help navigate. There is def some scrambling required up towards the top, but nothing major - and maybe more so because I’m short :) I turned around at the false summit. Back to the car just before 1200 and parking was nearly full. Although you hear the hum of the 90 pretty much the whole way, it’s a great hike with a bit of a fun scramble to mix it up and awesome views at the top!

Hike started around 1:30 and reached the false summit by 3:30. Fairly steady incline whole way up until you get to the split to mason lake. Rest of the way is a hard scramble. Turned around at the false summit due to time/clouds moving in. No snow still

Lost a hiking pole. Hiked on Sunday, Nov 10. Please contact me if you found it. 626_757_nine54zero. Thank you!

Like other have said. Trail doesn’t mess around after the split to mason lake/ bandera mt. But it’s a very short section. Beautiful views on a clear day with no wind. the star of the show was The majestic Tahoma. I only went to the false summit, went to mason lake on my way out. And to be honest, it wasn’t worth it. You get way better views of the lake from above, you can also see part of Kulla Kulla lake from the false summit.

This is an excellent hike that is especially challenging at the last mile to the summit. I did this hike on a sunny Friday 11/1/19 morning. I arrived at the trailhead around 8:30a and there were only 2 cars. The last 3.3 miles to the trailhead is gravel with potholes along the way. They’re not too bad if you take it slow and take your time. The first section of the hike is a gradual incline until you hit roughly the last mile and it gets real challenging increasing the incline significantly. It reminded me a lot of continuous step ups. It seems like I haven’t gone on a decent hike in awhile and this was definitely what I needed, a kick in the butt! I tried to hike up to the true summit but lost the path in the snow. The cairns helped but I decided not to go further. From what I could see it didn’t look like much of a view in the tree area so I turned back to the false summit and had my snacks there. Later a couple other hikers came by and said the views from the true summit wasn’t worth the effort and the views from the false summit were better. The views were amazing! Mount Rainier was in full view along with McClellan Butte, Mount Kent, Duke of Kent, Mount Defiance, Kaleetan peak, and even Mount Baker (there were others but I didn’t know their names). Visibility was incredible. I was able to even see Mount Adams! It was nice, warm, and peaceful there. I was able relax and take it all in. I will definitely come back next year as I’m sure the weather will get colder and snow will be much more present in the area.

Just as challenging and beautiful as when I hiked this in 2017. High % of dogs on the trail - all of the owners were well behaved except 2 that could not control their dogs when off leash; that is why we can’t have nice things!

Beautiful day for Bandera - you could see for miles, trail was in good condition with light traffic and the dusting of snow made a stunning backdrop for fall foliage just starting to turn. I found a phone along side the trail. Post here if it's yours.

To get to the summit you need time and pants)) shorts won't work :(

Trail can be somewhat tricky to find once you reach the ridge line. There are some scattered cairns to lead you through the boulder fields. Lots of flies and flying ants once you hit the ridge line as well.

Take Ira Spring Trail to start for a well-maintained trail. I completed this Peak after Mt. Defiance and it just doesn’t compare. The steep uphill effort was not worth the view of I-90 when a bit longer, but much more worthwhile trail to the Lake Mason and Mt. Defiance is a single left turn away.

Beginning of the hike is fairly easy but the elevation gain comes pretty quickly. Well kept trial until the whole scramble at the top after the intersection with Mason Lake and Bandera mountain. The scramble was fine for me but was a little hard on my friend, be careful and watch your step because someone on our way down twisted their ankle. After the scramble keep right as the trail becomes pretty hard to follow. Look for foot prints and you’ll be fine. Really pretty views, totally worth the climb. A lot of fire ants at the top and just pesty flies and mosquito. Definitely bring bug spray.