Bandera Mountain Summit

Bandera Mountain Summit is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Take I-90 east. Exit 45. Turn left. Follow the Forest Road for ~3miles. Road is gravel but there is a parking lot, at the trailhead, with video-surveillance. Recreation Pass required.

Last mile is super steep but the rest is just a steady uphill. Beautiful views!

Great views! Get there early as the parking is very limited. The last mile is VERY steep. A good workout.

Gotta be straight with ya, the last 1,000 ft in elevation gain is tuffer than Mailbox. . . add in some water and ya gots yourself a harder trail to come down too. The bear grass and wild flowers are out. Be on the trial by 7am on the weekends for a tad bit of peace and quiet going up. Massive popular hike.

Did it on Wednesday afternoon. Met a few people on the way to Mason lake but once the trail broke off and I took the Bandera route there wasn’t a single route. That last mile is a straight-up climbing so
you better be prepared for that. When I reached the top, there wasn’t a single other soul. I had the entire mountain to myself and my only companions were the squirrels and 2 hawks that were enjoying the day. I just sat there for almost 40 minutes before heading back to the lake and no one disturbed me. Perfect!

That last leg is always a punisher! Fun bouldering section near the top. Passed a lot of people not fully prepared for the last incline. Not an easy climb! No snow but bugs are out.

Push it out and get some incredible views!

A fun hike, wildflowers starting to bloom.

Agree with PG below. Probably close to 1500 ft gain at the last third of the hike. Legs are not thankful for the arduous hike. Definitely need boots with good grip; more for the trip back. Also hiked up with a 70 lbs and 5 lbs dogs and they did far better than us humans. Beautiful views of Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, Cascades, and even Seattle in the far off distance.

Wasn’t sure what I was getting into today but I’d say it was worth it. Even if I was heavily breathing most of the way up. Wildflowers are in bloom!

This hike saves the best for last both views and vertical.

This was a hard hike but the views at the top was well worth it! Snow free, pleasant mild sunny day. I gave this a 4 star given the wildflowers aren't in full bloom yet, and the crowds were sometimes a bit obnoxious. no one to blame but only ourselves for getting to the TH at 8:00a, typically we're hiking earlier than this. by the time we got done and back to the car around 1pm, the lot was OVERFLOWED. tips: get to the TH early for parking, bring adequate water, wear good hiking shoes for support coming down

Hard but fun trail - I grinned the whole way up. Decided to do this after a failed attempt on Defiance on June 2nd where I had to turn back 300m from the peak due to snow conditions. This was a great replacement and I got to see Defiance too. Impressed with the dog owners who all do leash their dogs on this hard trail.

Rev up those fryers! Cause Bandera is sure hungry to wreck some legs. What is rated as hard, hike squad powered through making the mountain seem easier then Paris Hilton. We made good time up the mountain. For half the hike was made in the red Volvo. God knows where we would have been without the grandpa car. By the time we set out on foot it took us years to decide who was going to poop first and if it was safe to use the outhouse. And the most important part, whether they would wipe sitting down or standing up. Eventually we started, and things looked swell. However, over the years hike squad has gotten soft. Instead of a power hike, we were passed by every dog, runner, and mom out there. This mom was literally hiking with a baby strapped to her chest. LIT. We were passed by the same person 4 times and things were beginning to feel like groundhog’s day. More confusion came with the rule, SWITCHBACK! It seemed like hike squad had lost is former mojo and was thinking more about SoDo Mojo for later that evening. On top of that, we lost Collins at the final summit. Things were looking grim and the snow near the top made things extra slippery like 2017 Migos. Finally, at the top, we were met by some cute little birds looking for a nut. We provided nut after nut with an occasional mikes cap and apparently, they aren’t fans of mikes caps. But then, Rev up those fryers! Collins appeared from the woods like Jesus Christ on the 3rd day resurrected. The impossible became possible, and just like that he multiplied his Motts and granola bars to share with the people. Drinking lukewarm Mikes hard (Black Cherry) everything was starting to look up, just when we thought things couldn’t get better. Taco Cat blessed us with his presence along with the other Exploding Kittens. The rain that was to come couldn’t bother hike squad. For the birds, Mikes, Exploding Kittens, Motts, taco cat, and granola bars were all we needed. The rain, along with Collins falling on his A$$ made things interesting on the way down. And good lawd someone tell Wiz to lay off the beans and nachos the night before a Lit hike. Everything ended up working out and the scenery was beautiful, a real joy to hike. Overall this hike is rated FRIGGIN LIT, and possibly a lesson for hike squad. Could it be possible to end the ways of the past, ushering a new era for hike squad? As we mature into grown men having real jobs which beer bellies and baldness become reality. Maybe enjoying the view and getting passed every now and then isn’t the end of the world. After all, slow and steady wins the race. #HikesForTheLikes #MikesForTheHikes

Beautiful morning, great views but no wild flowers yet - I'd guess the bloom starts in a week or two. Trekking poles really helped on the way down from the summit.

Bring 3 liters of water per person if you're unsure. This trail gets steeper and more exposed the further you get, and the summit is only half way back to the car. I saw a few folks trudging up with empty 16oz bottles... hopefully they turned around.

Was foggy at the summit today but still had a beautiful view of the mountains at a lower elevation. Last mile was definitely rocky and very challenging. Trekking poles were very useful for me going through the last mile. Found a pair of trekking poles while climbing down around 2:30pm. Message me and tell me a description of it if it’s yours.

Nice hike great views, last mile or so is a little challenging if you’re not a regular hiker but well worth it.

Beautiful, last mile is brutal and worth it!

It's hard to rate the trail when the coolest part was enveloped in thick fog. I'll be redoing this hike in a clear summer day next year. As of this morning, the last half mile of trail to the summit is covered in snow. When the trail splits off to the summit or Mason lake, it's very wet, slippery slush. As I got higher, it was a winter wonderland. Beautiful, but scary when your scrambling over huge shards of rock. I was worried about post holing, but kept to the footprints and was fine. Bring gloves! You'll be using your hands on snow. Microspikes would have been nice too.

Good hike

This was nice, but I prefer forking Left and going to Mason Lake and Mt. Defiance. We went in light October snow and were very glad to have micro spikes and hiking poles because it was so slippery.

Beautiful views...almost reminds me of mail box ..a must...loved feeding the

Great hard hike and the views are very amazing lots of water is recommended

Tough hike but very self satisfying, bring lots of water, bugs were moderate

One of the most well kept trails I've ever hiked here in Washington. Gradual elevation change most of the way until like the last half mile. great views from the top from both sides.

What a great view at the summit! But!! It's very very challenging hike.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Check it off the list. Great views of Mt Rainier, McClellan Butte, Mt. Defiance and Mason Lake. Harder than Mt. Si because hiking up the last mile is super steep and rocky. I'm not usually afraid of heights but this one was a little stressful ;) Lots of bugs at the top, including butterflies :)

Monday, July 17, 2017

Best hike ever! Hard but worth it!

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Very steep--if you are already up there, I would suggest doing Defiance Peak or Mason Lake instead! They both have better views (in my opinion) and are less steep.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

This is a past review so it doesnt reflect current trail conditions. This hike is a four star hike as there is so much noise from I-90. There are great views and its a fun hike if you bring enough water on a hot day. At a certain point your views diminish if you continue to the true high point. I am not a fan of some of the hikes in this area due to traffic noise.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Amazing views! Amazing wildflowers! Be sure to go early before the sun is high. Not only will you stay cooler, but the wildflowers just glow in that morning sunrise.
It's a bit exhausting getting up the boulders, but well worth it. Almost everyone stopped at the false summit, so my friend and I had the summit all to ourselves. The trail was a little difficult to follow after the false summit as there was a bit of snow, but definitely not impassable. Made it just fine with hiking boots.
The roughest part was coming down. I found myself wishing I had brought trekking poles for my knees.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The climb from the junction with the Ira Spring trail justifies the "hard" rating, but the views and the wildflowers make it worthwhile!