Ashland Lakes Trail

Ashland Lakes Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until November.

Directions from Verlot: Travel east on the Mt. Loop Hwy. for 4.5 miles. Turn right on the Schweitzer Creek Rd. #4020 and continue 2.3 miles to the Bear Lake Rd. #4021 and then follow this road for 1.5 miles to the junction with Forest Rd. #4021016. Turn left and follow this road to the end. You must walk 1 mile on the abandoned road to the trailhead on your left at the junction.

Tough one. The road up has many potholes I would recommend a truck or SUV.
We hiked all 3 lakes making this just about 6 miles round trip. The terrain was soggy and slick. I fell and saw 2 other gals fall. Step.. navigating over large roots, rocks, through creeks. Being next to the lakes is so beautiful!! The first lake Beaver is so pretty!

Tried to make it to the trailhead and the road was partially closed because of washout. Only got within 3mi of the trailhead because the road wasn't drivable in our Toyota Camry. It is May 31st. Will try again in the months to come

I was up on ashland lakes trail and boardman lake trail just this last week . the trails are very beautiful and it very tranquill and scenic . but getting there on the dirt road has such deep pot holes that even though i due drive a SUV i almost didn't make it on the road . in one one of the pot holes was so deep that i came to hanging up my subaru forester . I sure hope the forest service gravels and blades this road soon .

Great trail with a little bit of everything, rocks, roots, boardwalks and a big payoff at the end with the upper and lower lakes. Not too difficult and very peaceful, we ran into only 2 other small groups on this trail on Labor Day but on our drive out saw that the Lake 22 trailhead was overflowing - miserable. If you like a little elbow room on your hikes and clear reflective lakes, throw your car in 4WD and go hike this trail!

Logging road up was pretty narrow and very bumpy. Had a jeep and it was no problem, however, a low clearance vehicle might have some trouble with a bad driver. Hike was pretty easy. Took my kids (4 & 9) and dogs with me and had the trail to ourselves. The last lake, Lower Ashland Lake, is the prettiest. About 70 degrees out and clear skies. Lots of mud on the trail, especially near the lakes so the dogs will get dirty. Bugs didn't swarm which was good. Lots of roots with some rocks, especially between Lower and Upper Ashland Lakes. Didn't see any wildlife except a snake up by the lakes. No views other than the lakes and the trees around them on this hike. Again, fairly easy trail for kids and dogs. 2.1 miles to the far end of Upper Ashland Lake. About another 1/2 mile beyond that to Lower Ashland Lake. We put in about 10 km total for the hike. Trip down the mountain on the logging roads was again pretty bumpy!

The trail was nice but the road to get there was horrible. Probably would not choose to do it again or the other trails in the area because of the road.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

We had 2-3 year olds, 2-4 year olds, 2-6 year olds and a 7 year old and everyone was able to make it to the lake and back. Trail wasn't too bad but the road getting to the trail was horrible. So. Many. Potholes. The plastic skirt came out from underneath our car and broke... So make sure you have a vehicle that can handle potholes.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Cold and wet day but a great hike nonetheless!

The view at the Beaver Plant and Upper / Lower Ashland Lakes were socked in with fog, which diminished the views somewhat but also meant I had the entire trail to myself. I didn't see another soul until I was driving back down the forest road back to Mtn Loop Highway (to the young blonde gal in her Pontiac coupe, I pray that you made it safely up the pothole-filled road!).

The trail to the Beaver / Ashland lakes was in good shape but the wooden planks were quite slick from moss and water. Take care when walking on them! You can try walking next to them but you'll likely damage plant life and will get wet and muddy very quickly!

The loop trail around Upper Ashland Lake is "broken" at the lake outlet. It looks like the bridge planks were damaged from a giant tree that fell across the lake outlet. To make it all the way around the loop you'll have to either have to use the large, slipper tree at a bridge or scramble down across the rocks in the stream bed below the lake outlet. Be careful!

When I got to the outlet of Lower Ashland Lake I found the DNR has torn up he trailhead to Twin Falls Lake and put up a "No Access" sign.

!!!WARNING!!!: Traversing closed, damaged or unmarked trails can be dangerous and is done at your own risk!!!

Of course this piqued my interest so I carried on and soon found out why.

The trail to the falls and lake is a mess in quite a few spots, some of which appears to be on purpose to replace worn out bridges and tie tracks but most of the damage is due to water from the vast amount of small creeks and huge trees that have been blown down.

If going off trail for short periods, climbing over / under tree falls, crossing / climbing through creeks and and getting REALLY wet and muddy are not something you are willing, able and eager to do then TURN AROUND at Lower Ashland Lake!!!

That being said, the views at Twin Falls Lake are worth the trek but be prepared for what awaits you. Bring proper gear, map, compass and GPS and know how to use them!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Nice easy hike, still snow on the ground and slush on the lake! Tree down across the trail, boardwalks slippery. Peaceful and secluded.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Nice hike, very easy. When it's wet though, be very careful because the board walk gets slippery..

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Easy Hike, beautiful lakes, very slippery boardwalk in wet conditions! becareful

Monday, October 19, 2015

Currently the conditions of the trail were awesome. There were a lot of wooden walk ways which makes me think it tends to be very muddy or very wet usually. My GPS said that I gained 470 ft of elevation. I did the hike with my Son (8) and daughter (4). There was one spot on the trail where we had to go across a sloped rock that had a pretty steep hill next to it but it wasn't too difficult to get the kids across it. We only passed one other couple on our way back from the lake. When you walked around the upper side of the lake and walk along the lakes edge there is a spot with a wooden platform that made a great place to sit and have a snack. We also found that there was an echo at this spot which the kids really enjoyed. The only word of caution is the drive up. I wouldn't plan on taking a sports car up to the trailhead. A bit of ground clearance is highly recommended.