Learn more

Ashland Lakes Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 826 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

Trail was fine. Pretty view of the first lake and nice surroundings. I don’t think it’s worth the drive on the forest road to get there. It’s not a short drive - 4 miles of really rough road.

Rainy day easy hike. FSR 4020 in rough condition.

With Greg and Dad. Nice walk through the woods. Last lake was flooded.

No problems getting to the trailhead in the Truck. Upper Ashland is great for camping. Lower Ashland, spots are still flooded.

Hiked to upper lake yesterday..Still too much snow in places to drive to trailhead...Parked at 4020/4021 Junction and hiked to trailhead..About 8 miles round trip..Solid hike..Trail has spots of snow 2ft deep still..Boardwalks near lake are snow covered in spots, but others are clear

You will not make it to the trailhead. I have an SUV with solid off road tires and we got stuck 1.7 miles from the trailhead after being totally shook up just to get that far. I scared the hell out of my passenger and dog just trying to get that far. Seriously, don't try.

Snowy and beautiful!. Most of the lake campgrounds are under water and soon under snow.

flooded

Got to the trailhead about 10:30am on Sat Nov 23, 2019. The 3 mile dirt road up has major potholes, at least SUV clearance is needed. We were the only car in the lot and saw no one else on the trail. The trail itself is in good condition with clear signage. Nothing super interesting about the trail but it's a great hike. A lot of the hike is on boardwalks which were pretty slippery at times with the recent rain. Do not recommend pushing through to the 3rd lake, Lower Ashland Lake. The trail and boardwalk is flooded once you get the sign at the lake shore so you can't progress very far or see the lake well. The path down from Upper Ashland is the toughest part in terms of technical as well with lots of rocks and roots. So until it drys out, unless you want the extra exercise of coming back up, it's not worth it.

flooded

Warning: the plank walkways during the wet season are pretty hazardous. especially up near the lakes. There are a few sections where the wood is covered with steel mesh, but the rest felt like walking on icey pavement. A good chunk of the walkway at the end of Lower Ashland lake was flooded. Other than that, super pretty hike. as others mentioned, the drive in is brutal - bring something with high clearance and drive slowly.

The 3.9 miles of dirt road leading to the trail is a nightmare and in dire need of maintenance! Lots of very large potholes. Recommended only for vehicles with high clearance. The hike is really beautiful with three picturesque lakes, each with it's own toilet and camping spots, although the miles of planks can get very slippery when wet.

Road up has plenty of deep potholes. Parking was pretty limited, and I would download the satellite map before you go so you know which paths to follow. There is a outhouse at the trail head and one at upper and lower Ashland (none at the first little lake). While this trail has A LOT of the “walk the plank!” style boards, we still found ourselves watching our feet more than getting to look and enjoy the views. It is stumpy and rocky the whole way. We had a lot of fun climbing up with the dogs though... it was slippery and very muddy... still had such a fun time. There are cute docks at each lake and AWESOME spots to camp! Made for awesome lunch spots and even have fire rings and benches at each spot!!! There was 1 port-oh-potty along the second and third lake... not maintained or clean inside, but they’re there. We got to the trailhead at 11 and left around 3. It was a Tuesday, we passed two groups on our way out but we never saw or heard anyone else. This hike wouldn’t be great for kids, but it’s definitely a fun one if you like climbing rocks and fooling around. Our tracker got us both with around 6.5 miles and 790’ elevation gain... we definitely did a lot of the side trails and explored too.

Road was pretty bad, but my Crosstrek was fine for it. It was very quiet in the morning with numerous frogs out. The lakes and campsites were pleasant. Seems like a popular place to camp with kids. We pushed on to the unmaintained Twin Falls which were really the climax of the trip and quite beautiful. I don't recommend that part of the trail as we took some damage and could probably only do the river crossing because water is pretty low. It would be great if the whole length was maintained.

Somehow through the grace of God got my 2003 Subaru Legacy to the trailhead bit it was 4 miles and 25 minutes of hell doing it. It is a disgrace the USFS doesn’t at least try to maintain the road. We got as far as Beaver Lake before my 14- year-old collapsed. I did not think it was that family friendly a trail. Kind of steep for us. The trail itself was nicely maintained it we will not be back.

Unless you have a raised truck or a generally high clearance vehicle, it’s essentially impossible to get to the trailhead. Honestly, I can’t even say that a standard Subaru Outback could handle those pot holes. Really disappointed we had to turn around only 1/2 way up he road to the trailhead. :( Really, really bad!

Sun Jun 02 2019

Road up off of Mountain Loop Hwy is pretty dicey, lots of potholes, but a friend of mine made it up in her little Saturn, so just drive slow, and you’ll probably be alright. Trail itself was well maintained, and absolutely beautiful. We backpacked in (carrying probably more than we should’ve), and camped at the first lake. We were worn out from the uphill parts, and stairs, in the second half, but it’s completely doable, even with a heavy load on your shoulders. The parking lot was pretty full when we got there, but it can fit around 10 or so cars. When we got to the lake, after passing a few groups coming down, we were the only ones there, and the only ones who were camping. It was amazing, all around beautiful, and I cannot wait to come back and camp at one of the lakes higher up.

Mon May 27 2019

Trail was in decent shape. The lake was pretty but nothing compared to other alpine lakes like Lake 22 or Heather Lake.

Sun May 26 2019

Great hike! Before you decide to hike this one, make sure you drive a vehicle with a high enough clearance. The 1-2ish mi drive to the trailhead has a lot of deep pot holes and bumps. An SUV or truck should do the trick. All trails says its 5.1 miles but I hiked around 7mi. Its a on the easier side of a moderate high. A good hike to start the summer season with. Lots of flowers/ lillies lining the boardwalk to the 3 lakes. The sitting place at the third lake is a great place to have lunch if you get their early. Took me about 2 hours to get there as I spent more time taking pics of flowers and the lakes. I would say its kid friendly as I saw a lot of families doing the hike together.

Sun May 26 2019

Hiked in, planning to stay the night, but got rained out at Lower Ashland Lake. The trail itself is really well maintained, and a lot of love has gone into creating the boardwalks around the marsh. As others have said, the road is rough, and I'd not recommend anyone try it unless they have a vehicle with good clearance. Definitely coming back come summer, and hoping for better weather!

Mon May 20 2019

We took the forest road using a nice large suv that has raised clearance. The roads were pretty scary. We saw a Camry up at the trailhead and didn’t understand how they got there. We took our 5 and 6 year old out to lower Ashland lake and it was a great technical trail for them. Then we camped out at the lake. The frogs were in full force all night and it was wonderful. There’s no snow, and the trail has several changes in topography, making for a very interesting hike. The bugs weren’t too bad. But the closer you are to the marshy areas, the worse they got. They were gnats, and not mosquitos. There are two raised camp pads at lower Ashland lake. We couldn’t fit our 4 person tent on it. We only found one spot that was suitable, thankfully but it was on the ground and damp. I don’t know how difficult that would be during peak season to find a spot. We saw a few spots up at beaver plant lake that looked better to camp on. It’s not the best type of camping next to these lakes because the ground is marshy. If you see a spot at beaver plant lake, I recommend claiming a spot there and then day hike to the other lakes.

Sat May 18 2019

We didn't actually make it to Ashland Lakes this trip. My low clearance Ford Fusion sedan did fine through the giant potholes but about 1.5 miles from NF 4021 there was a washout I just wasn't brave enough to drive through. so we parked and walked. we did about 3 miles total, up to the turnoff to NF 4021. the road itself is beautiful with waterfalls, pretty rocks and old growth stumps so we did enjoy it. On our way up we passed a car that wasn't much taller than mine headed back down so I probably could have made it. but next time I try it I will do so with the higher clearance vehicle!

Tue May 14 2019

Trail extension to Twin Falls Lake almost gone. Loop trail around Upper Ashland lake is blocked by blowdown on one end, and outflow creek on the other. Still a great hike, 3 high lakes in under 7 miles round trip.