Ape Cave Trail

Ape Cave Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cougar, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

old growth

From Vancouver, WA, north on 1-5 to Highway 503, exit 21. Drive east 35 miles to Forest Service Road 83. Turn left and drive 2 miles to Forest Service Road 8303. Turn left and drive 1.5 miles to the trailhead on the right.

Went a few years ago. Great hike. Be sure to wear sturdy shoes, a coat or sweatshirt, and bring a flashlight or head light. You can rent s propane lamp in the gift shop located there.

The lower cave and upper cave are vastly different experiences with the upper caves involving a good deal more exertion than the lower.

We did the lower cave first, it's pretty wide and tall, with a somewhat rough floor. if you had little peeps with you or anyone with limited mobility it could be a bit of a tripping hazard. Overall cool and super easy way to see a lava tube.

Upper cave is way more worthwhile but much more intense than lower cave. It's got big rock piles for you to scramble over and lots of boulder/rubble hopping. A couple of slippery lava flows to climb up as well. No real climbing experience needed but could be challenging for beginners (like us). I would def. recommend this trail. It was a really fun hike.
Also, you HAVE to have a headlamp or similar. They sell them at the trailhead for about $15

Really fun hike to go underground for such a long time. I did the upper trail.

Lots of fun, bring a good headlamp

Awesome lava tube.

Love it

Did the lower cave and gave up, was a bit too boring, just a tube, cold, no bats or vegetation and overcrowded.
My friends who continues with upper cave said that that one was a bit more interesting as you have to go over some boulders, but mostly having fun friends helped. I wouldn't travel for just this, but may be nice for kids

I did the upper cave. it was kinda long, kinda challenging. Im not exactly what you would call a super in shape person, and this cave was still a task, but tons of fun. you definitely want to have a bright headlamp. boyfriend and i had headlamps, but they werent too bright. luckily we had people with us that had bright ones, making it so we could see more of the caves beauty. i am a short person, and if it wasnt for my group helping me up the 8ft, 90degree angle foot wall, i wouldnt have been able to make it up myself since the rope is no longer there. shorties will need a boost. it would be a good idea to have climbing gloves as well. the volcanic rock is sharp and was cutting my hands before i put gloves on. i also made the mistake of wearing work out shoes. theyre too flexible and the caves are WET. my shoes and feet were soaked by the time i was only a third of the way through. plus, there was snow on the outside of the cave, walking back to the car, and its super slippery. i was sliding the whole way down because of my shoes. bring snacks, youll be out for a while.
conclusion:
AMAZING adventure, even for beginners.
wear protective clothing (boots, gloves, hoodie because its wet and cold)
a bright headlamp is ideal, you can see more beauty!
bring snacks!

Did both levels with a toddler on my back the whole time...