Antoine Peak via Emerald Necklace

Antoine Peak via Emerald Necklace is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Spokane, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Took my wife and teenage son and our dog. Great day for a short hike, and the Thimble Berries were plentiful!

My history with Antoine Peak is one of sheer frustration.

1st attempt: Got lost.

2nd attempt: Got lost again.

3rd attempt: Got lost in a blizzard. NEVER AGAIN.

Well, with the recent buzz about the re-vamped trail and shiny new trail markers I decided to give it a go once again. And I am so glad I did.

Antoine Peak's conservation area covers 1,076 acres in the Spokane Valley. It's summit offers 360-degree views of the region - Liberty Lake sparkles to the south with Mount Spokane and the Selkirks towering to the north. There is no shortage of breathtaking sights on this beautiful hike.

Early summer brings an abundance of wildflowers and candy-coated skies at sunset unparallel to other times of the year.

The new and improved trail system offers great signage meaning getting lost should be difficult to do. It also means you can determine how far you want your hike to take you as all markers give distance and direction. My pup and I did the loop from the Brevier Road trailhead. It leads you up to the summit and down around the Emerald Necklace loop along the base of the mountain back to where you started. The sounds of nature were absolutely spectacular...until they stopped altogether and I couldn't help but remember stories of cougar sightings on the hillside.

Don't let that stop you from visiting this beautiful trail right in our backyard though. Just be aware of your surroundings.

July - Summer

Nothing particularly spectacular about this trail. You can get some nice views of Spokane Valley and Liberty Lake, but aside from that, not much else to see.

The trail is very well maintained, and is mostly out in the open. The trail was very hot, and it was very dusty because of this. In most areas it was very wide which allowed two people to walk abreast.

The trail is mostly flat, but there is some elevation gain as you approach the peak. As some other people have noted, the AllTrails loop isn’t entirely accurate anymore, as one of the sections we followed clearly hadn’t been used in a long while.

Parking is free and is quite large.

Remember to bring water! Especially for the dogs, there is no water access on this trail.

As I usually say for this type of trail, not something I’d go out of my way for, but definitely worth checking out if you live near by.

Lots of trail markers but this hike in red doesn’t include the whole loop. Technically the necklace expands above what’s mapped out here if you follow trail markers and not this app. If you go off the red trail here your distance increases from 4.6 to closer to 7 miles.

Great hike, nice bit of a challenge for beginning hikers or a more chill hike for more advanced hikers. The front is pretty exposed so don’t go when it’s too hot but the back is nice and shaded.

it was a dope hike, flowers are blooomin

The Emerald Necklace loop is a beautiful hike with trail markers making it easy to follow. There are lots of wild flowers and birds. There is even shade on the hike.

This is a nice little hike close to the city. There's a very gradual incline in the beginning and it's all flat or downhill from there - quite easy and would be a good family hike. The South facing side of the hill is open and hot with little shade. The trail is very wide like a road. A lot of the grass was already dead with a few wildflowers hanging on. We were disappointed at the top - there are several loudly humming cell towers and an obstructed view of Spokane Valley. However, once you start descending down the north side of the hill, there is a beautiful view of rolling hills and trees and everything is suddenly lush and green. The trail narrows and winds along and down the hill. We found plenty of mating beetles, dragonflies, bees, and wildflowers. This made up for the first part of the hike. I would go back to explore some more. We came after work around 5:30 and leisurely hiked this in two hours - 5.4 miles. There's a sign at the trailhead saying that they are moving the trails around so it probably won't match the route here on AllTrails.

I love going on a daily hike on this trail. It's veiw gives you a good way to get out of the house and moving.

Nice and easy hike for our pups! Beautiful view at the top, I definitely want to go back and hike the other side.

Good starter hike. Clear wide trail if you stick to the main path. Gradual up hill to the summit, but the view is beautiful. There was a rattlesnake crossing the trail, but he kept going into the brush. Beware if you or you animals are going off the path.

Fun trip. Easy walking. Challenging for my 9yo but the view made it worth it. Great view of Spokane Valley from the peak.

Trail is in great shape, very clean and stable. Awesome hike to take the dogs on, our old lab kept up the entire time. Great hike for all ages and skill levels.

One of the best hikes I’ve been on in a while. There’s frequent changes in elevation to give nice variety. Saw birds, bugs, critters and turkeys along the way. There were tons of viewpoints to stop and take pictures. Trail was well marked and not heavily trafficked. We were the only hikers at 9am. Definitely will do this one again.

It was beautiful. My friend and I enjoyed it, we definitely will be going back.

Easy hike. Clear trail. Kid friendly. View of the valley is nice.

Scenic views, some white wildflowers beginning to bloom. Trail is easy on weak(er) knees.

Asked my lady to marry me here. very nice views. easy trail and beautiful.

Scenic trail, all two track instead of single track. I dropped down the east side of the summit to LeLand pond and back for a total of 9.6 miles.

Good all around. easy trail. lots of branching off options. easily marked trail heads. :)

Did this Oct 24 from the east side. Only ran into one other hiker. Trail well signed at the junctions. RT was 5 miles mostly easy with a few steep sections at the start and near the top. Various viewpoints along the trail were just as good as summit which has radio towers present. Overall nice hike fairly close to town.

Alright trial. Not much to explore. It's mainly a dirt road. There's a water spicket at the parking lot which its nice and portable toilets.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

I did this for the West for a after work hike I thought it was pretty nice no other people on the trail. We did run upon a rattlesnake crossing the trail so be careful there out there.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Decent trail. It is mainly access roads and the trail is not marked clearly.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Took the Emerald Necklace trail from the west summit trailhead back to the summit junction- just under two hours with a couple water breaks for my dog. Well maintained trail, well marked if you stick to the main trail, mostly gradual uphill. A couple of nice lookout points of the Valley. Saw some turkey and deer. Afternoon hike gave us plenty of sunshine with shade breaks. Saw 3 other couples my entire hike, which was nice, I don't like a ton of traffic. Not a spectacular hike but I enjoyed my short time on the trail.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

This second visit to Antoine Peak I approached from the east trailhead on Lincoln Road. I liked it better than the more commonly mentioned western trail which I hiked about a month ago. There are fewer confusing trail splits from the east, and the views are better in my opinion.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Great views but poorly marked trails. Nothing to tell you "this way back to your car" when you come to a 4way fork.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Pretty good walk up to the peak, easy trail, a bit of an incline. Not a lot of views due to trees, but some openings to see the valley.

Monday, June 05, 2017

More views than expected. Wide paths. Very well maintained.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Take a reliable GPS receiver with you to avoid going down a trail that ends in overgrown nothingness. That might still happen even with a GPS (like in my case), but at least then you can find your way back or bushwhack to cut through to an already visited trail. The "main trail" might not be terribly hard to follow, but any deviations you take might just dead end. This area can be enjoyable if you know where you are going... which I didn't know. Follow the track of someone who said, "This place is awesome" instead of my track. Mine didn't really afford any great views because I didn't have time to go to the peak after all the wandering. Fortunately I kind of like slightly stressful adventures, so it wasn't a total loss when I essentially got totally lost.