Annette Lake Trail

Annette Lake Trail is a 9.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 47. Right off the freeway toward Tinkham Rd. Left on FSR 55 for 0.4 miles to trailhead at end of road

This hike is easy to moderate there are some steeper switchbacks but it’s not that hard and it’s in the shade. It’s pretty dry up until the last 2-3 miles then it gets more green the higher you go up and it’s very pretty. The view of the lake is amazing. I didn’t swim in it because I fear of dead bodies and sharks in all water lol. If you have a dog bring them because they will love swimming in the water there was two waterfalls and areas of water going on the trail so if your dog is thirsty that is a plus. Rocky in some areas and the tree roots are coming up in some of the trail so watch your step. Did see beat skat that everyone was talking about but saw no bears at all

Loved the view!

Amazing! but bring bug spray, you will get swarmed with flies

I really like this hike. What I like is that you are shaded by the trees. There are switch backs but nothing grueling...do Bandera, Mt. Si or mailbox for a challenge but this is cake in comparison. I would consider this hike on the easier side of moderate. I think this lake is just as beautiful as snow lake. This lake actually took my breath away because it is so green. While I love snow lake too I enjoyed this one more due to the shade and not as many rocks. I will agree with the other reviews. BUG spray is a must. I didn’t need it until I got to the lake but I would have been miserable without it.

This is one of my favorite hikes in the area. Closer to 7.5 miles round trip, with a gorgeous lake to enjoy up top. As other reviewers noted, it’s a good workout for the first 3 miles of the hike and then levels out for the last mile or so. The hike is mostly in the trees so you’re not dealing with oppressive sun (like the Snow Lake switchbacks). Bring bug spray and sunscreen, and a snack to enjoy lakeside. Also a great hike for dogs, especially if they enjoy swimming.

This is a hard hike for beginners but perfect for people who are experienced with hiking. (I'm a beginner lol.) This hike is mostly uphill but it levels out at the last ten minutes or so until you reach the lake. The lake is beautiful and definitely worth the hike! It's a very nice temperature and very clear. We went in July on a nice day so we found that the flies were very aggressive and annoying especially near the top. I think they were attracted to our sweat and the water at the lake.
Anyways, I recommend this hike for people who are in good hiking shape. I'd say to bring more water than you think you need and wear bug spray and sunscreen! If you go in the summer, i recommend bringing a swim suit and flipflops to go in the water.

Tough hike for a beginner but a perfect hike for a normal hiker. Keeps the general public out and not crowded. Will be going back for sure

I really enjoyed this hike. We read all the reviews and tried to arrive early - but breakfast, coffee, packing picnic - left Bellevue around 1045, no traffic, got the one spot left. It is $5 for parking unless you have a pass. There was an outhouse in parking lot.

Read the signs, we ended up going on some other trail. Not a big deal but was about 0.5-1 mile warmup. I am in decent shape, take 6 flights a day to get to my car at train - workout 1-2 times a week. I was winded on the way up. I think it took us about 2 hours - really really is a trail w a lot of rocks and roots. Starving by the time we got to the lake. It was so beautiful. Glad I brought aqua socks to walk in the water. We had a nice picnic and hung out for an hour or so then headed down. Going down was quick but really felt it in my knees. A lot of dogs and an owner that didn’t pick up after a big dog. Only crossed paths with 20 people ish, we went on a Friday. I came prepared w bug spray but not a problem at all - THANK goodness. Def recommend, great for a day trip out of the city

Awesome hike and beautiful lake!

Great hike. There are many switchbacks for the first two thirds of this hike that will really test out your thighs, and much of the trail is rocky with plenty of tree roots to dodge. It's all worth it, though, once you reach the lake. Hiked on a Wednesday, arrived to an empty parking lot at the trailhead at 7am. We took our time on the switchbacks and were at the lake by 9:30-10am. Started to get plenty of people showing up by noon, with the trail practically a downtown Seattle sidewalk worth of foot traffic on the way back down. Arrive early.

Summer 2017.
Headed up after lunch on a week day to avoid the crowds. Solid hike and great lake. The biting flies were awful though and no amount of bug spray could keep them away for long.

Round trip is 8 miles. Once the switchbacks are completed the up hike is pretty simple, so take your time on the switchbacks. For me who is moderately fit, it took 2hours up and hour fifteen minutes on the way down. Carry good amount of water and a nice snack to enjoy near the lake.

The hike was really pretty. A couple different view points on the way up. The distance is off, though. It was more like 8 miles round trip. There really isn’t any “beach” to sit so be prepared for that.

Bugs were out in full force and trail was pretty busy. Lake was beautiful and waterfalls were strong. Some campsites near the lake. Would be a good backpacking trail.

Arrived at trailhead at 7:30, lot filled up by the time we were done with breakfast before 8:00 AM. Great hike, plenty of interesting stuff on the way up, especially if you like big trees.

Got a good spot a ways down the north bank of the lake, hung out for about an hour. Lake is beautiful as always. Constant procession of people coming up while we were on the way down. Lot jam packed with cars parked along the road all the way back to the freeway exit.

Mileage listed in description is high. Maybe 7.5-8 miles.

Very busy hike, parking lot was almost full at 8 AM. Took two hours to get up and two hours to get back down. View at the top was OK, nothing spectacular.

Nice hike!! Go early not very many spots to access lake.. lots of people even for a Monday. Hiked 6/19/18

Went 6/19/18. Lovely hike, gets very rocky though. The view is beautiful and even got to dip in the lake. So worth it!

Really nice hike! It does get a bit rocky but you just need to pay attention to your steps. Gets pretty muddy towards the top, guessing from recently melted snow. The lake is beautiful! I wish there were better options for sitting and enjoying the lake but that's just how it goes when you hike. I'd definitely recommend this one.

Definitely want to go again already and I was just there an hour ago! I’m bringing a float next time. Too bad there wasn’t really a beach to it, just little spots for 20-30 ppl. SO GET THERE EARLY! Ha!

Hikes this today on a Friday afternoon and turned out to be absolutely the right decision. This is an absolute gorgeous hike and completely worth it with views of the lake just splendid but as with most alpine lake hikes - there isn’t a whole lot of room to sit and enjoy the views at the end so if you go on a weekend you are likely going to have to struggle to completely enjoy this view. I went today afternoon and there were 2 other people at the lake when I reached and I found a wonderful spot to just sit by the lake, lake around and enjoy the views. Gorgeous gorgeous hike.

Beautiful views

This was an amazing hike! The trail was so taken care of and had some interesting features to it. Such as the stairs made out of a tree. ALOT of uphill and zig-zags. The view of the lake is SO worth the hike! To get to the lake is a little confusing but you come up to a point that looks like the trail ends and you see a “toilet” sign. Keep going straight and take a left through the trees. You’ll see the lake from there! Also, so many people were on the trail but they were all so kind and considerate!

6/12/18: Went with my wife, her two sisters (early 20s), and her parents (mid 50s) at a pretty slow pace so we could all stay together. Averaged 35-40 minutes per mile. Started about 10:30am, returned at 5:30pm. A decent number of people on the trail, but it wasn’t crowded by any means. Lots of people brought dogs too. We spent at least 1 hour at the lake sitting and eating. Absolutely beautiful day and view. Recommend hiking boots because it’s wet and muddy in a good number of spots. Poles would have been helpful, but not necessary. Only traces of snow remained toward the top. Basically a straight incline the whole way there. Sections of switchbacks were the definitely the hardest - especially with the parents.

Fantastic hike for when you just want to get your boots on and go — super accessible.

Went up on Tuesday and it was very lovely, with snow on the trail only in three places, it was easily doable in tennis shoes and though hiking poles are helpful on the way down, they're not necessary. The weather was perfect, the lake was a beautiful turquoise and the trail wasn't too crowded. We only ran into about 6 groups, and everyone was very kind and polite, the only downside of the hike was the bugs. Though they were only present during the last couple miles and didn't bite, they did swarm so our lunch at the top could have been better, so maybe pack some bug spray. Overall, a great hike!

First backpack trip of the season and it kicked our butts. The lake is very rewarding and trails are well maintained. We snagged one of the campsites overlooking the lake and had a relaxing kick back time. There are about 7 "sites" that we came across, and we were happy we came up on Friday afternoon because later that evening they were all full. Saturday morning the trail was packed and extra muddy, just wear boots and bring an extra pair of socks and big spray! I slept in my 20 degree Marmot bag and was still a little chilly so bring extra layers if you are staying the night. It took us about 2-2.5 hours to get to the top with 35lb (ish) packs and 1 hour 40 min to get down on Saturday. Remember hikers hiking UP have the right of way, and to allow faster hikers to pass you either way. Happy Hiking!

Great weather, nice distance, and quite serene. Not too much snow up top. In all it makes for a great early season hike if you’re wanting to get to an upper valley lake.

Completed this morning. The hike was really good, trails are identified nicely, and no blockage (eg washout, snow, etc). Easily maneuverable without special gear. There is a small snow field just prior to the lake, but just follow the dirty foot tracks :) All is good.

The bad aspects of this trail is the level of "rooty-ness" and rocks everywhere. Almost the entire hike was full of this. Though is a short hike (7 mi RT), your feet will take a beating. My Keens hiking boots with good soles struggled. That's about it..nice scenery and photo ops.

Tips: Parking - come early before 8:00a and reverse park in. Why? when you get back cars are double and triple parked very closely without true order. Forward driving out is easier than backing out.

Done today. Started at 7.30am, back by 10.30. Tiny patches of snow on the top of the trail a one wider field by the lake. No need for equipment. Lots of ppl with dogs going up when I was descending, unfortunately not all leashed or well behaved. Trail well visible nice waterfalls on the way this time of the year, lost reception about halfway up.

What I didn't know it's a $5 charge so bring change or cheese.