Anderson and Watson Lakes Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(108)
Mount Baker Snoqualmie National Forest

Anderson and Watson Lakes Trail is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Concrete, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,791 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

icy

The road is snowed in about 2.5 miles from the trailhead. We hiked up the road to the trailhead but couldn’t find the trail once we got there. We saw lots of bear and cougar scat on our way up. We also lost a pair of micro spikes so if you find them please email me at kayladuskin at yahoo Happy hiking!

Road is closed to wheeled vehicles about 6 miles from the trailhead as of March 14! Heavy snow beyond that

bridge out
icy

Absolutely stunning day to do this hike! Drive to the trailhead: no snow on 11/20, and compared to some of the other trailheads I've seen, this one was not in too bad of a condition (just a few potholes that one can avoid). Trail: don't be fooled by the lack of snow in the beginning, about 1 mile in the snow starts and there's a lot of ice. I would NOT recommend hiking this trail at this moment without microspikes. Particularly the hike down to reach the lakes is quite dangerous right now if you don't use them. It's steep and there is a lot of ice. With microspikes, it was totally fine right now. Besides that, there's a bridge down (which caused no problems) and a few trees down. The views of Anderson and Watson Lakes are just absolutely stunning and you will also get views of Baker and Bacon Peak (couldn't believe this one!) that are breathtaking! Bring your microspikes and have an amazing time!!

bridge out
icy

Couldn't of asked for a more perfect day or hike!! The dirt road heading up to the trailhead (28-30) miles is do'able but I would advise a AWD. I drive a SUV AWD and did fine however, lots of deep pot holes after the Dam. There are snow patches going up, but road is clear and narrow in areas. At the trailhead (very end NF road) there is room for several cars to park and also an out house/ porta potty (but not serviced in winter months BRING YOUR OWN TP) Trail clear of snow until you get about 1 mile or so in. I advise Yak Trax or Micro Spikes and some good waterproof boots (gaitors were not needed) there are a few trees down and a bridge that has concaved, also a few streams to walk through and a log to cross. The view of both Anderson and Watson Lakes are gorgeous and the surrounding peaks covered in snow. Good workout, with lots of rocks and roots Can't wait to do this again (in the spring or summer)

The fall colors and spectacular views of many charismatic mountain tops surrounding the lakes made this trail particularly stunning. A recent storm gave the entire scene a dusting of snow highlighting its pristine quality. We saw only a few other hikers and millions of huckleberries. A great combo. Don’t worry about going light on the snacks if you hike this route in the late summer/early fall. Nature has your back. Road in had some pot holes and rather steep sections that made us happy for our four wheel drive and dry conditions. Trailhead was fairly easy to find even if you don’t following along closely on the map.

Plenty of great views on the trail - fall colors too. Lots of mud throughout - hiking poles came in handy. A surprising amount of ice and snow on some of the wood bridges. Some of the wood bridges were damaged too - still passable though. I'll definitely do this hike again.

Beautiful hike! A mix of up and down both ways, took just under 1.5 hours each way (total under 3.5 hours after stopping for lunch on a big rock that overlooked upper Watson lake). Worth it to go a bit further to see upper Watson. Didn’t go to Anderson, but if we had had more time, definitely could have explored that too and explored a bit further around Watson Lakes.

9/9/19 - Backpacked up to Anderson Lake and set up camp. Drizzle on the way up and overnight so things were a bit muddy but overall an amazing little overnight. I didn’t have any issues with bees, although I could hear buzzing at some points on the trail. Pretty views for a relatively easy hike up to Anderson.

Beware the bees!!!

Great hike seeing all the lakes. Water temperature is nice. Anderson lake is nearby a large blueberry patch and was entertaining a black bear while I visited. Climbing the bluff is steep compared to the rest, but great views of the surrounding mountains once you get to the top. Overall really enjoyed the day. Bees. A few other reviews mentioned this. I went on Thursday 8/15/19. The only spot with bees was immediately before entering the second field. You will pass by them on your way out, possibly without noticing, but on your way back you are slower uphill and they see you. They will attack. I was only stung twice. Two young girls with their dad did not seem to fare as well. Their screams were awful. Move quickly past this point. The bees are in a log along the left/right side of the trail depending on whether you are outbound/returning.

Aug 15 2pm. BEES SWARMING TRAILHEAD. we drove for an hour..had to sit in car w/ac on, hoping swarm would move on. even re-located car to no avail. warning: be prepared to spend 2 hrs and not even get out of the car

The hike itself was nice and the lakes were beautiful but the amount of horseflies were nothing like I have ever seen before. Extremely persistent and aggressive. I was seriously surrounded by more than I could count the instant I stepped out of my car. On the way back to the trailhead I also encountered a swarm of very angry hornets that insisted on chasing me for nearly two miles. Got stung a few times. Their nest was at the base of a tree in the more heavily forested area after the first meadow crossing once you reach the top of the hill. Not a fan of bees, mosquitoes, or horse flies so I probably won’t do this one again. Dosed myself in bug spray and that was useless.

First, let's talk about the Forest Service road to the trailhead. We made it up in a Toyota Camry with no problem. Second, take the side trip up to Anderson Butte. That is the place to get some amazing views and there is an amazing campsite neat the top. I overnighted at Anderson Lake and never saw another soul, accomplishing what I set out for... solitude. All the trails we're in good shape and we'll marked.

This is almost certainly the best way to get someone introduced to Cascade hiking. This trail is comparatively short to others such as Park Butte or Skyline Divide, but is also less steep than any 3+ mile hike I've done in the area. However, the beauty of the hike isn't handicapped – you still get occasional views of Baker that are breathtaking. The lakes themselves are very peaceful, surrounded by rounded rocky peaks. There were a lot of bugs, but a few sprays of picaridin and they're nothing more than a noise. Lots of mud around the trails between Watson lakes. The road getting to the trailhead is fairly long (and bumpy towards the end), but take your time and any regular car should be able to make it. I'd highly recommend this hike to anyone who's looking to get their feet wet with Baker hikes or overnight backpacking!

Such a beautiful day for an even more beautiful hike! These lakes are beaming with beauty, especially on clear sunny days! No a whole lot of traffic on the trail today. Very peaceful and quiet. I liked the variation this hike had, lots of uphill and down hill both ways. The only think I would say to “beware” of is bugs! They sure are out right now. Other than that this trail is in great condition! Highly recommend you make a stop to see these lakes

We spent four nights camped out beside the Lower Watson Lake, and took day hikes to Anderson Lakes and Anderson Butte. The bugs at Anderson were much worse than at Watson Lakes. We met lots of friendly people, and the scenery in the area is spectacular. Good fishing, too, Due to a rainstorm over the weekend, the pathway is muddy in a lot of areas. Please note that there are no campfires allowed at Watson Lakes - we saw at least 5 different campfires on Saturday night.