Alta Vista Trail

Alta Vista Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from July until October.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 616 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

From the Nisqually entranceon Highway 706, 18 miles on Longmire-Paradise Road to the main Paradise Parking area. The trail starts near the Jackson Visitor Center

Beautiful trail with decent elevation

Big incline!

Alta Vista to Skyline Trail. Very pretty. Wildflowers clearly past peak by a couple weeks. Saw a young black bear

You just can’t beat these views of Rainer! The wildflowers were beautiful and we saw lots of marmots.

Still patchy areas of snow, some easy navigation over the snow to find the trail. Fun short trail with quality views!

Snowshoed on Memorial Day. Luckily got a pretty warm day, about 50F, with clear sky around Mt Rainier when we started around 11 am. Was hoping to snowshoe to Panorama Point, but did about a mole and the fog gather around mountains and covered up the mountains. Worrying about whiteout, we decided to return. It was still super fun, and great way to avoid the over crowded visitor center/entrance of skyline.

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Great trail. Awesome views. wish I had time for the hard trails

Sunday, February 04, 2018

Did it in thick snow

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Friday, August 11, 2017

Great quick hike to a incredible view.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

My favorite view of Mount Rainier. It's a short walk from Paradise Inn to the trailhead and probably a much easier hike without all the snow! We took our chances and climbed to Alta Vista when it was still very early spring, so I can't speak to the vegetation of the trail, but it definitely was worth any struggle for the view!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

great hike today. wonderful weather

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Get past all the people and the views of Mt. Rainier can not be beat! This trail starts hard, take your time.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Good hike but crowded

Thursday, August 13, 2015

I know what you are thinking . . I will go to the highest knoll in Paradise and have a great place for the sunrise or sunset . . .opppps . . No you won't . . The western views are blocked by trees. If you want the best sunrise spot around Paradise, it's the bridge at Edith Creek. The trail . . As all Paradise trails are . . The first 1/2 mile is paved asphalt . . Currently they are repaving and replacing broken culverts too. . They are doing a great job! I would not recommend this trail.

Thursday, February 06, 2014

Great views. We enjoyed Rainier a ton.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

We did this hike in August by chance and it was beautiful stumble. The views are amazing. It takes a little effort as elevation is only goes higher but take your time, enjoy the amazing nature of this hike.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

All the Paradise trails are beautiful and this was no exception. Gorgeous views in all directions and especially Mt. Rainier. Also look to the south for Mt. Adams and the Tatoosh Range. The wildflowers were peaking the third week of Aug. and were spectacular. The paved trail up is steep, but anyone can do it if they take it slowly.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

This trail winds through the alpine meadows of Mount Ranier to a viewpoint at about 6000 feet. On the day we hiked it, the top of Mount Ranier was obscured by fog, but the view of the mountain was still impressive. There were also nice views of the Tatoosh range. And, of course, the alpine meadows of Mount Ranier are a sight in themselves. In addition to the wildflowers, we also saw a marmot. The trail is paved and generally easy to walk on. While it's rated as moderate, there is one very steep stretch that is a knee-buster on the way down. Wear comfortable hiking shoes and bring a sweatshirt or jacket.

Friday, March 09, 2012

This was my first trail, and I took my mother a long with me. We had to stop a few times for her but otherwise it was lovely. Flowers, a creek, a bubbly pond thingie... and finally the vista point with a lovely view of Mt. Rainier (great place to stop and have lunch on a sunny day.)