Abercrombie Mountain

Abercrombie Mountain is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Metaline Falls, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,470 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail is very wide and had zero dead fall. I’ve done trails rated “hard” that were easier than this hike though. It was unrelenting uphill. Just one 1/8 mile stretch half way that was flat-ish. Signs of wildlife, but none seen. Extremely rocky last 1/5. Moderate for the rest. Poles would have been great (oops). 3.5 hrs round trip for me - Probably average.

Beautiful flowers

There is still snow on the trail so I didnt get very far before turning back because I started so late. Which is a bummer considering the road to the trail head is primitive bit mostly well maintained. From what I did experience was a great trail, mostly incline but well marked. Just better to go later in the season to avoid snow

Mon Sep 10 2018

Great hike, not too steep. The road leading in to the trailhead is rough, but you can easily get to it in a car, we took a Focus. The views from the top are absolutely amazing!

Mon Jul 23 2018

What a perfect Sunday funday hiking Abercrombie Mountain north of Colville! It’s the second highest peak in Eastern Washington (by one little foot in elevation) at 7,310 feet. We saw fresh bear scat, tracks and scratches in a tree but sadly never saw our bear. I haven’t seen a view that spectacular since Scotchman Peak last summer. Highly recommended!

Fri Jul 13 2018

Bring your camera and a little extra time to enjoy the serenity up here.

Tue Mar 13 2018

Absolutely breathtaking views!

Mon Oct 16 2017

great views and climb to top...snow and windy! Did not go around to Hooknose- next time!

Sat Oct 07 2017

Nice hike but I'll have to go back do to the weather being pretty socked in I really couldn't take advantage of the views but what I was able to see was great. Pretty good incline but fairly short distance well worth the time.

Sun Sep 10 2017

The road up was a little treacherous for the mid sized sedan rental car that I took (luckily it was a rental). But once we got to the trail, we were not disappointed. Beautiful pine forests cloaked the area in a thick pine scent that cannot be beat. Small waterfalls and cool mountain streams offered relief from the moderate heat encountered in the first couple miles. I was there in mid June and there were still patches of snow on the last mile or so with very large drifts at the peak. The view at the top was unbeatable. It was a little chilly at the top so expect to bring a sweatshirt if you plan on staying for an extended period of time. If I ever find myself in the area again, this is a definite. Note that the coordinates supplied by AllTrails aren't accurate. Stay left and follow the signs for the trail head.

Wed Sep 06 2017

Road to Trailhead is ok until last mile, three large ruts and my friends mid size SUV scraped going out. Arrived early Sunday morning of Labor Day weekend to a empty TH., maybe five cars on return several hours later. Great well maintained trail that's recently had some work and weed whacking done. Trail switchbacks up and just enough shade along the trail, except the last mile to provide relief from the heat. Pretty hazy from the smoke but all and all great hike with stellar views.

Mon Jul 17 2017

I loved this hike – keep in mind, I’m new to the hiking world this year.. so others may think differently 1st – the gravel road leading to the trail.. if you have a family van, or small car, you might rethink this trail – it’s not a bad road, but some vehicles might have some issues. 2nd – Amazing hike – this trail has a little of everything, deep wooded areas, vast open areas and amazing views everywhere you look. The peak of this trail is loose rock, so smaller kids, or older individuals might have a rough time with it. 3rd – this is a trail I will be hiking every year now – it’s great

Fri Jun 30 2017

beautiful hike many scenic stops

Sat Aug 11 2018