Abercrombie Mountain

Abercrombie Mountain is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colville, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

great views and climb to top...snow and windy! Did not go around to Hooknose- next time!

Nice hike but I'll have to go back do to the weather being pretty socked in I really couldn't take advantage of the views but what I was able to see was great. Pretty good incline but fairly short distance well worth the time.

The road up was a little treacherous for the mid sized sedan rental car that I took (luckily it was a rental). But once we got to the trail, we were not disappointed. Beautiful pine forests cloaked the area in a thick pine scent that cannot be beat. Small waterfalls and cool mountain streams offered relief from the moderate heat encountered in the first couple miles. I was there in mid June and there were still patches of snow on the last mile or so with very large drifts at the peak. The view at the top was unbeatable. It was a little chilly at the top so expect to bring a sweatshirt if you plan on staying for an extended period of time. If I ever find myself in the area again, this is a definite.
Note that the coordinates supplied by AllTrails aren't accurate. Stay left and follow the signs for the trail head.

Road to Trailhead is ok until last mile, three large ruts and my friends mid size SUV scraped going out. Arrived early Sunday morning of Labor Day weekend to a empty TH., maybe five cars on return several hours later. Great well maintained trail that's recently had some work and weed whacking done. Trail switchbacks up and just enough shade along the trail, except the last mile to provide relief from the heat. Pretty hazy from the smoke but all and all great hike with stellar views.

I loved this hike – keep in mind, I’m new to the hiking world this year.. so others may think differently
1st – the gravel road leading to the trail.. if you have a family van, or small car, you might rethink this trail – it’s not a bad road, but some vehicles might have some issues.
2nd – Amazing hike – this trail has a little of everything, deep wooded areas, vast open areas and amazing views everywhere you look. The peak of this trail is loose rock, so smaller kids, or older individuals might have a rough time with it.
3rd – this is a trail I will be hiking every year now – it’s great

beautiful hike many scenic stops

Monday, September 19, 2016