Georgetown Loop

Georgetown Loop is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Washington, District of Columbia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I’ve lived in DC for ten years and never knew about quite a bit of this loop. What a wonderful little adventure I had! I walked out my front door and up to the Calvert bridge to start the loop. There are a couple very urban spots where you transition from trail to trail but otherwise it’s naturesque and just lovely. If you know Rock Creek Parkway, a good portion is beside it so you will see and hear some cars, but the more idyllic portions outweigh this. Recommend if you don’t feel like driving out of town to get to a trailhead.

While I never completed this exact loop all at once, I walked/hiked/jogged/biked the different sections (Rock Creek Parkway south from the National Zoo, the C&O Canal, and the Georgetown University and Dumbarton Oaks areas) many times during my previous life in DC and Northern Virginia. I love Georgetown. It was a wonderful place to spend time both exploring and exercising!