Learn more

Georgetown Loop is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Washington, District of Columbia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 557 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

city walk

closed

Started in Rosslyn, walked over Key Bridge, onto the canal and hiked opposite the suggested route. Entrance to Glover Archibald Park on the M St/MacArthur Blvd side is closed. Quick detour through neighborhood parallel to the park/Reservoir Rd. Puts you back on the trail (entrance sign says Rock Creek Park), which was awesome. When you drop onto Rock Creek Parkway, the paved path along the parkway is narrow and congested. May want to turn up to Q St and drop back down into Georgetown. The later you go, the more crowded this stretch gets. Got a good 7.5 miles in.

One of the nicest areas of DC with lots of shopping and tourists. This isn't a hike as much as a slow walking tour. There are very few "sights" to see. The canal is usually dry, for instance, and most of what you see are houses and retail space.

Don’t get me wrong, Georgetown is gorgeous and a great place to shop and eat. A little further out and it’s a quiet place full of beautiful old homes, hills, elegant embassies, etc. It’s a nice walk for sure - though I’m embarrassed to say I once just decided to wander around there for a while because I was bored and wanted to get out of the house and got pretty turned around... ended up at the edge of a wooded area on an empty road with no sidewalk that looked like the back of someone’s property. This was before Lyft took off. So keep an eye on your map because wealthy neighborhoods like Georgetown outside the shopping district, Foxhall, etc. usually aren’t catered to people who don’t live there (hence the irritating lack of transit). If you do, you’ll be treated to a very pleasant stroll, especially if you’re into the architecture of residential homes.

Sat Jun 29 2019

What a surprise at times you forget how close to DC you are. We started in Georgetown going up Rock Creek. we had the map downloaded and linked to GPS. It helps at times. very good trail.

Some parts of the trail are closed and not clear how to take a detour. Also, dogs are unlawfully loose on the trail, so if you're afraid of them I don't recommend this trail.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Don’t take your pup. The first part of the trail (clockwise) runs along Rock Creek Parkway. If you’re out for a long run, it’s worth it. If you’re out for a hike you should drop this section. This section is also a dangerous place to have a dog on a leash. The width of the path gets down to two people wide with the busy parkway right next to the trail at points - no one walks here, it’s 100% runners and bicyclists...add a dog on a leash and we’re asking for an accident that could end up with a someone in the road. For the last 5 years I’ve lived near, run down and commuted on this section...I’ve rarely seen people walking and I’ve never seen a dog on this section.

Tue Jan 02 2018

Fri Nov 03 2017

I’ve lived in DC for ten years and never knew about quite a bit of this loop. What a wonderful little adventure I had! I walked out my front door and up to the Calvert bridge to start the loop. There are a couple very urban spots where you transition from trail to trail but otherwise it’s naturesque and just lovely. If you know Rock Creek Parkway, a good portion is beside it so you will see and hear some cars, but the more idyllic portions outweigh this. Recommend if you don’t feel like driving out of town to get to a trailhead.

Thu Jan 05 2017

While I never completed this exact loop all at once, I walked/hiked/jogged/biked the different sections (Rock Creek Parkway south from the National Zoo, the C&O Canal, and the Georgetown University and Dumbarton Oaks areas) many times during my previous life in DC and Northern Virginia. I love Georgetown. It was a wonderful place to spend time both exploring and exercising!

recorded Georgetown Loop