Woodstock Tower Trail

Woodstock Tower Trail is a 1.7 mile out and back trail located near Woodstock, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My boys and I decided to go see the Woodstock Tower and came up through Fort Valley Road. It was a relatively easy drive although it becomes a one-lane gravel/dirt road when it transitions to SR771 (Boyer Road and goes through Mine Gap). We decided to try the short hike from the Little Fort campground which was empty except for one tent camper. At the campground, a printed sign at the entrance indicates that the "white blazed trail to the Woodstock Tower starts at campsite 8" but we never found any blazings. There was a trail at campsite 8 that led through the woods to a fast-flowing stream that had both a rock crossing and a small footbridge. We followed that path for quite a while and never saw any blazings. It was a beautiful hike in any case and we enjoyed it. It was a clean trail and quiet but in the end we decided to turn around and head back to the truck and simply take the road up to the Tower Trail. Once there, we did not see any trash at all (as others have reported). It was very clean. The tower itself was cool and we had a great time up there despite the clouds (that we looked down upon). We could see quite a way when the clouds cleared periodically and could definitely see the bends of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River. All-in-all, despite having no luck finding the trail out of the campground, we had a great time and I would recommend this. If you've never been in an observation or fire tower, it's a good time and the views are fantastic.

Nice Hike

Good climb for a short hike. View at the top is spectacular. Trail is nicely built to keep a steady and modest rate of climb.

After deciding to start hiking, which I had not did in a very long time , I was unsure what easy would be. However as a person who spent most days on the couch , this hike was a good first hike. The only thing I would add is if the road is closed and you hike the road to the trail be prepared to take on a moderate hike.

not very long but well worth it.
great views and we were able to see some hang gliders taking off

Saturday, March 25, 2017