Willis River Trail

Willis River Trail is a 13.4 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cumberland, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

canoeing

bridge out

US 60 West from Richmond / Right on RT 622 before Cumberland C.H. / Right 622 & 629 Bear Creek Store

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Very Nice

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

I thought I reviewed this one. It was a long day. I would much rather do five three mile trails.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Too long. I agree with Danielle about the logged over areas. I will be long gone before those areas recover.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The trail was pleasant; just too much of it.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

This was the biggie on our last day. No bears, but plenty of smaller animals up to deer.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

I really have mixed feelings about this trail. Parts of it I really enjoyed! Like the twisty turns up and down some fairly steep hillsides for example. I even enjoyed traversing the many, countless obstacles (streams, creeks, fallen trees-some of which hadn't fallen to the ground & required climbing under) along the way.

There were a number of downsides to the trail though. Some of which have me doubting the possibility of ever trying this one again!

Like what you ask? Well, finding it for starters! It was a 1 and 3/4 mile hike uphill on a dirt/gravel road before ever making it to the trail itself.

There were also quite a few areas that had obviously been sold off to loggers (didn't even know that was allowed in a state forest) as there were open, barren fields that had been stripped of their hardwoods recently.

This part of the trail had us back out on gravel road again. One section was actually covered in beautiful slate but that didn't make up for the lack of feeling like you were out amongst the Truffula trees but instead in the barren valley left behind by the Once-ler.

It's for the reasons above I have trouble giving this trail greater than 3 stars. Oh, and when they say Black Diamond, they mean BLACK DIAMOND!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I brought Chris out on this trail. Well come to find out if you decide that you would like to break the trail in half and camp it you need a CAMPING PERMIT. When I found this trail I did not know this. The trail itself is peaceful and a good Excursion. Watch out for Copperheads! There is a spot though when you have to cross a river, the water was high, and we found a tree laid across which we used to cross. Then hitch hiked the way back to the car.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Great trail. Some ups and downs, some flats, abundance of wildlife.

Friday, July 29, 2011

NICE LITTLE TRAIL FOR DAY HIKES
TRAIL RUN TODAY

Friday, July 29, 2011

THE WILLIS RIVER TRAIL IS A WOODLAND TRAIL / HIKING ONLY / 15.3 MILES LONG / VARIOUS TREES : PINE WHITE & LOB LOLLY , OAK WHITE & RED HICKORY , BEECH ETC / DEER , BEAR , FOX , TURKEY , BEAVER ,
BOBCAT , BLACK SNAKES & COPPERHEADS ETC / TERRAIN IS SMALL HILLS / FEW CREEKS TO CROSS ,SOME WADING POSSIBLE /

H B RADAR , MAINTAINER