Wildcat Mountain Loop Trail [CLOSED]

Wildcat Mountain Loop Trail [CLOSED] is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Marshall, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

closed

Settler house ruins and solitude make for a great day! The first part of the hike is strenuous as you have to climb over the 1st ridge using switchbacks, but the hike is flat after that.

Monday, May 29, 2017

great hike bit now closed to public.

Monday, May 29, 2017

A very quite trail. Good trail for a half day.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

As the previous user stated, the area is now closed to the public.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

This area has been closed to public access. Permit access only for scientists, conservation workers, etc.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Great hike. Views weren't the best but would do again.

Monday, February 06, 2017

Great hike and definitely more than moderate. there is a significant incline at the beginning of the hike which is about 3/4 of a mile in didtance and the decline on the way back was knee jarring.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

nice trail, good leg workout just wish there was more of a scenic view

Thursday, October 20, 2016

The website says NOT accessible to dogs.

Friday, October 07, 2016

I thought the trail was easy not moderate. However, I am an active adult and didn't have my children or small dogs with me this time. No awesome views to look out on, but there is a rock wall that runs along the trail a little bit and there are two little rustic building structures that you come across.
GPS tracks this as 2.92 miles

Monday, September 12, 2016

This hike was actually 4.94 miles total !! After reading others reviews , I decided to turn on my Fitbit activity tracker one while we hiked . So ...., 2.9 miles is most likely just the loop portion , plan for one mile up and back . Lots of spiderwebs !! Quiet , rocky and steep in spots . We enjoyed it and it's close proximity to 66 . Would do again for good cardio workout !

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Seems a lot longer and was a bit hard for the kids. Very uphill with not many views for a long time. VERY good workout though!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Well, this trail wasn't too difficult for me, but my wife (who is not very in shape) had a very difficult time. There is quite a climb to the loop and the loop itself has quite a bit of up and down. And, on top of that, there really are not scenic overlooks at all - might be better in winter when the leaves are not on the trees. We went on the Tuesday after Labor Day and didn't see anyone else the entire time. Give the number of spider webs I walked through or had to takedown with a branch, I'd say this trail doesn't see a lot of traffic. If you're in shape, it's a nice moderate work out of a hike through the woods. If you're not in the best shape, this is going to be quite difficult and you may well give up before getting to the main loop.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Great for my dogs they dnt really like other dogs during the week in the mornings we encountered one other person with a dog. That's why I pick lightly trafficked trails less dogs an people. I did not see an scenic overlooks think the pictures of overlooks were taken off the trail. There were no mile markers but there were signs to keep you on path. Will go with my dogs again good trail especially if your trying to stay away from the crowd.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Nice hike with good elevation change.l along the trail.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Challenging

Monday, May 30, 2016

Nice hike and a little tough until you get to the loop. No overlooks or pretty views.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

3 stars for the difficulty. first half is straight up with a bunch of twist and turns and slightly rocky in places. second half is much more relaxing, smooth trail. well maintained.
no views.
nice little house area people stop to look at.
I went right at the split. pass the house area, and a little further there is a pretty cool small rock formation. best part of the hike.
this is a one time only type of hike, in my opinion.

Monday, May 02, 2016

It was a very nice, maintained trail. I completed the loop in less than two hours. The trail was a little slippery from all the rain this weekend; so I had to take my time going downhill. A great trail if you'd like to get a quick hike!

Sunday, March 20, 2016

I brought two dogs with me I'd say it's a little harder than most trails in northern Virginia in the beginning but you can get a nice pace going when you get to the loop

Saturday, March 19, 2016

It's a fun, little trail. The hike up to the loop can be tiring if you haven't done anything too physical for awhile. Once you're up there, it's not too bad.

I was expecting more views than it provides. The trees block any view that looks promising, but you can find some facing the Blue Ridge when the leaves are absent.

Still, it's a fun walk in the woods and hard to get lost on (green and yellow trail signs are everywhere). Some small creeks to cross and an interesting small stone shack along the way

Probably it's most inviting when the summer sets in with green in abundance.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

A lot harder than expected. The first 3/4mile is a steep incline wandering back and forth up the mountain. About a 500' change in elevation from starting point to where the loop trail begins.

Dogs loved it, 9yr old had no issues, just the adult heavy breathing and sucking down the water.

Friday, November 27, 2015

My wife and I did the loop trail, it sure seemed longer than 2.9 miles. The trail from the parking area to the top of the mountain turns into more of a goat trail. Very steep and rocky with lots of switchbacks. Not for the very young, or anyone not use to the exercise. The loop trail on top of the mountain was easy walking. Not much to see but woods for the most part. There are some old stone walls, and from what I gather an old farm house and spring house, neither one much to look at. Perhaps a plaque with a little history would be nice. The trail is fairly well marked and some of the trees are marked with plaques telling you what specie they are. Not a bad little trail to walk off too much Thanksgiving turkey, football, and beer.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Nice. Lots of spiders. My 4 year old needed to be carried for about one mile of the three. I liked how it was steep at first so the final part was downhill. My 6 and 8 year olds did fine.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

I went on this hike because I read that it isn't too crowded. Well, apparently other people had the same idea. I was with my 10 month old German Shepherd puppy and we ran into two other couples with dogs and another without a dog. The trail itself was a very steep climb without leveling out at all on the way up. I used to hike often but am just getting back into it and didn't even get up the mountain. I will try this again after a few weeks.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

This is a little gem right off of beaten path. Like the other folks have already posted, the terrain jumps on you right out of the gate here. Great mixture of rockiness and tree cover. Pretty serene and quite for the most part--although you can hear the construction going on from the other side of the mountain. Small parking area.

Sunday, November 09, 2014

Pay attention to *moderate* rating and elevation gain. If you hike the AT you will befine, if you are just staring out or taking kids/slow people be aware of the topography. We took the little ones and it was too far and too steep. The Smith House and Spring House were neat. Trail was well marked but seems longer than 2.9 miles. The Hiking Upward site has some nice reviews/pictures/info as well: http://www.hikingupward.com/OVH/WildcatMountain/

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Beautiful trail with a lot of rocks and lift. The Nature Conservancy (where I work) has developed an audio tour that you can take with you on the trail to better understand the human and natural history of the area (see link). Please note that the old house is now closed due to safety concerns.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

One of our favorite trails in the area. Quiet and serene, rarely bump into anyone else the whole hike. Great trail for dogs.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Really fun hike. The scenery was great and for the most part it was very well marked. I really enjoyed it. Highly recommend it.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Nice loop trail. We were there during the winter. Wet, muddy slick. But a nice hike. There are some abandoned structures and good markings.