Wildcat Mountain Loop Trail [CLOSED]

Wildcat Mountain Loop Trail [CLOSED] is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Marshall, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

closed

Settler house ruins and solitude make for a great day! The first part of the hike is strenuous as you have to climb over the 1st ridge using switchbacks, but the hike is flat after that.

great hike bit now closed to public.

A very quite trail. Good trail for a half day.

As the previous user stated, the area is now closed to the public.

This area has been closed to public access. Permit access only for scientists, conservation workers, etc.

Great hike. Views weren't the best but would do again.

Great hike and definitely more than moderate. there is a significant incline at the beginning of the hike which is about 3/4 of a mile in didtance and the decline on the way back was knee jarring.

nice trail, good leg workout just wish there was more of a scenic view

The website says NOT accessible to dogs.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Friday, October 07, 2016

I thought the trail was easy not moderate. However, I am an active adult and didn't have my children or small dogs with me this time. No awesome views to look out on, but there is a rock wall that runs along the trail a little bit and there are two little rustic building structures that you come across.
GPS tracks this as 2.92 miles

Monday, September 12, 2016

This hike was actually 4.94 miles total !! After reading others reviews , I decided to turn on my Fitbit activity tracker one while we hiked . So ...., 2.9 miles is most likely just the loop portion , plan for one mile up and back . Lots of spiderwebs !! Quiet , rocky and steep in spots . We enjoyed it and it's close proximity to 66 . Would do again for good cardio workout !

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Seems a lot longer and was a bit hard for the kids. Very uphill with not many views for a long time. VERY good workout though!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Well, this trail wasn't too difficult for me, but my wife (who is not very in shape) had a very difficult time. There is quite a climb to the loop and the loop itself has quite a bit of up and down. And, on top of that, there really are not scenic overlooks at all - might be better in winter when the leaves are not on the trees. We went on the Tuesday after Labor Day and didn't see anyone else the entire time. Give the number of spider webs I walked through or had to takedown with a branch, I'd say this trail doesn't see a lot of traffic. If you're in shape, it's a nice moderate work out of a hike through the woods. If you're not in the best shape, this is going to be quite difficult and you may well give up before getting to the main loop.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Monday, August 01, 2016

Great for my dogs they dnt really like other dogs during the week in the mornings we encountered one other person with a dog. That's why I pick lightly trafficked trails less dogs an people. I did not see an scenic overlooks think the pictures of overlooks were taken off the trail. There were no mile markers but there were signs to keep you on path. Will go with my dogs again good trail especially if your trying to stay away from the crowd.