Wild Oak Loop

Wild Oak Loop is a 30.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stokesville, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My son and I did this loop 10 years ago. This time it seemed a lot more challenging than last time. This is not a trip for beginners. The uphill climb to Little bald Knob took a bit longer than anticipated and experienced a sleet storm while we ascended. Yes, crazy Virginia weather. When we got to the stream we had had to cross, the current was stronger than we anticipated so we made a decision to backtrack and cut our trip short instead crossing the stream with our dog. On a positive note, the views and the hike were excellent. It was colder than anticipated and we saw very little wildlife. Still not bad hiking if you like a challenge.

Not a bad trail. There are not many choices for water on the trail. Especially on the first 10 miles if hiking counter-clockwise. The first 7 miles are pretty tough, all uphill. After that it is not bad. There's also not many choices for good tent camping spots. If you have a hammock I suggest using that. Also, I suggest finding a good map online before going because they didn't have any maps when I went at the Trailhead.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Excellent trail...there is virtually no water supply with the exception of of a nasty pond on the last leg of the trail. Thanks to the Guardian water purifier I enjoyed 4 liters of the best tasting "pond scum" ever!!!

Thursday, May 18, 2017