Wilburn Ridge via Appalachian Trail

Wilburn Ridge via Appalachian Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mouth of Wilson, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Grayson Highlands State Park (276) 579-7092 829 Grayson Highland Lane Mouth of Wilson, VA 24363

Loved it, done it three or four times all seasons.

Can't wait to go back and hike some more!
Loved eating the wild blackberries on the trail!

Words cannot explain this place...... it's a must see !!

Fun hike with amazing campsites and views.

Beautiful Well kept State Park. There was a $7 fee to enter the park. We parked at Massie Gap parking area. Used the Rhododendron Trail,The trail is in very good condition but lookout for the manure! Got to see several of the ponies..that made the trip worthwhile. The trail is listed as moderate but actually I thought that it was quite easy. I went on past where the Rhododendron trail ends to just beyond where the AT crosses. The area is quite beautiful would like to come back and do more exploring

Great hike. Loved the ponies and the views along the way.

Spectacular views during our hike. Trails were pretty easy to hike and the trails up Mt Rodgers was amazing with a bonus of seeing wild ponies. We also camped at their campsite and the staff and other campers were all welcoming and super friendly. I highly recommend visiting this park you will not be disappointed. Caution to more of the adventures out there if you attempt to climb the waterfall on the Cabin creek trail be careful as the rocks are super slippery.....enjoy.

loved this place. fun day of hiking, saw ponies, amazing views. I definitely hope to go back

Beautiful! So many trails to choose from. We got super lucky and had the falls on Cabin Creek Trail to ourselves last week.

Nice views at the top of the ridges.

$7 fee for none VA residents to get into the park. There's also the pinnacle trails at the visitors center. Parked at Massie Gap parking.

Love this place! Seeing the wild ponies makes it even better ❤

Sunday, April 16, 2017

favorite place to hike!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

This was a wonderful trail! I went all the way to the summit of my. Rodgers, the highest point in Virginia! Out and back this was an 8 mile trail. For seasoned hikers it is a moderate. I completed in 4 hours

Friday, March 03, 2017

Beautiful

Saturday, February 25, 2017

I LOVE IT HERE!!! BEAUTIFUL SCENERY ..AND THE WILD PONIES IS JUST A GREAT BIG BONUS! COMING UP THIS MAY FOR MY BIRTHDAY

Sunday, February 19, 2017

This is a very beautiful place!! I was hooked the first time I got to backpack there.. love the wild ponies!! heading back for my birthday this spring

Friday, February 10, 2017

Magical backcountry! Most of the trails in this park are moderate to difficult. I would not bring or hike with anyone that (dogs) that you cannot lift over large boulders. I hiked from Massie Gap on the AT/Rhodedendron, then looped back via a horsetrail during summer solstice. Good water sorces in most places. It rained the first 1-2 days, but after that nice and sunny. Still cold at night 40s-50s.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Sweet views! Parked at Massie Gap and looked down as I climbed up. A lot of people with dogs and kids were all out. The horses were out, one was in labor. SoBo on the AT was very quiet. Lots of rocks both ways. Mt. Rogers way was steep and big rocks, while SoBo was just rocky. Go to the visitor center up the mountain. There are more trails up there. Awesome place to just sit and chill!

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Absolutely beautiful place! Definitely going back as I only hiked one trail (Rhododendron) and that barely scratched the surface. I want to camp here! GH has something for every hiker, every level but what sets this heavenly place apart from none other is the horses. Come on...it's what we all go for!

Monday, October 24, 2016

We did a section of this hike and combined it with another, longer route. Beautiful views, wild ponies, interesting terrain. Route is clearly marked most of the time. Our dog loved it.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Great hike with a different terrain than most nc/va hikes. Can be very windy on the open highlands in late October.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Wow. My friend has talked about this place for the last several years. I finally made my way to VA, and completely understand why she loves it so very much. It is incredibly beautiful. I did not find the trail especially difficult. We saw the feral ponies, which was quite a treat. Unfortunately, I also witnessed people feeding the ponies, which is strictly prohibited.
I enjoyed very much climbing on some of the rock formations. The panoramic views during the middle of October are amazing!

Monday, October 03, 2016

This was our second AT 1 nighter after Carvers Gap in TN 2 weeks ago. I didn't think anything could beat the view but this was simply amazing. A little tougher but worth it! We saw about 10 wild ponies and 50+ Cattle (long horn) in the Trail. 5 stars and worth doing! Started at the backpackers overnight parking lot and headed AT Spur Trail to the AT north. Camped at "the Scales". Followed the AT north to "pine mountain trail" then back on AT north. 13 total miles.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

One of the coolest places to go especially with children. ❤️❤️❤️

Sunday, June 26, 2016

It was a work out! Loved it
I loved seeing the ponies. There were several foals! To cute!!

Friday, June 17, 2016

one of my very favorite places ! we park at Massie gap and always go over the first rock cliff. I love the ponies !

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Poured the whole time but it was just as beautiful as expected. AT access is perfect! HYOH

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Massie Gap...white trail all the way to the mountain