Whitehouse Overlook via Ambassador Whitehouse Trail, Appalachian Trail, and South Ridge Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Delaplane, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful wooded area, strenuous uphill hiking.

well marked, cared for trail with great views.

Had a nice trail run coming from the AT on the Rt 50 side, connecting with the "Old Trail" (not a soul on it) and then looping through the Ambassador Whitehouse trail. I like this route a lot better than the typical Sky Meadows trailhead route. Ambassador Whitehouse is nice either way.

I love Sky Meadow and all the trails there are a lot of fun.

This review is for the trails in Sky Meadows park in general. We made a loop using the north and south ridge trails, gap run, piedmont overlook, and Boston Mill rd. Parking is $5 per vehicle. Use the trail map they give you and choose your own path. The trails are well marked; no chance of getting lost. It rained heavily the day before and some while we were there. Trails were a little muddy and rocks were slick but manageable. Even wet, I'm not sure I'd rate the north ridge trail as difficult. We didn't hike the whole thing so maybe it's more challenging in parts. I'd rate the entire hike as easy to moderate. Some moderate grades but nothing crazy. Lush foliage and beautiful views from a view spots. Nice benches to stop for a snack. Great spot for a day hike. We plan to go back to camp and explore more trails.

Great hike. Next time I would definitely complete the hike finishing with the Piedmont Overlook section (the 0.6 mile section). That way you finish coming down the hill with a beautiful view of the landscape beneath you. Next time I'd shorten the hike on a high heat summer day that it was when we did the hike and go with, Gap Run, to North Ridge, to Piedmont Overlook. Happy hiking!

We hiked a partial loop of the Blue Ridge backcountry area, starting by the visitor center and historic farmhouse. We thought it best to head up to the Piedmont Overlook first, given the late morning sunny conditions on a warm June day. The short but steep climb did not disappoint. We continued on the wooded North Ridge Trail, returning by way of the Gap Run Trail and Boston Mill Road (we also included the Snowden Loop). This was a special hike for me...a combination of wonderful trails, beautiful countryside views and sentimentality for coming back to my old Northern Virginia home and finally getting to hike Sky Meadows. I would love to return for a fall hike at some point to complete the rest of the backcountry trails.

The trail list in All Trails as Piedmont Overlook is actually a combination of trails encompassing the The Blue Ridge Backcountry of Sky Meadows State Park. The combo of trails shown by All Trails is Piedmont Overlook 0.6mi, Ambassador Whitehouse 1.1mi, Appalachian 2.43mi, North Ridge approx 0. 5mi, South Ridge 1.54mi depending on where you stop and start. I'm only reviewing the Piedmont section , Dog friendly, kid friendly.