Whitehouse Overlook via Ambassador Whitehouse Trail, Appalachian Trail, and South Ridge Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Delaplane, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful wooded area, strenuous uphill hiking.

beautiful trail and dog friendly!

well marked, cared for trail with great views.

Had a nice trail run coming from the AT on the Rt 50 side, connecting with the "Old Trail" (not a soul on it) and then looping through the Ambassador Whitehouse trail. I like this route a lot better than the typical Sky Meadows trailhead route. Ambassador Whitehouse is nice either way.

I love Sky Meadow and all the trails there are a lot of fun.

This review is for the trails in Sky Meadows park in general. We made a loop using the north and south ridge trails, gap run, piedmont overlook, and Boston Mill rd. Parking is $5 per vehicle. Use the trail map they give you and choose your own path. The trails are well marked; no chance of getting lost. It rained heavily the day before and some while we were there. Trails were a little muddy and rocks were slick but manageable. Even wet, I'm not sure I'd rate the north ridge trail as difficult. We didn't hike the whole thing so maybe it's more challenging in parts. I'd rate the entire hike as easy to moderate. Some moderate grades but nothing crazy. Lush foliage and beautiful views from a view spots. Nice benches to stop for a snack. Great spot for a day hike. We plan to go back to camp and explore more trails.

Great hike. Next time I would definitely complete the hike finishing with the Piedmont Overlook section (the 0.6 mile section). That way you finish coming down the hill with a beautiful view of the landscape beneath you. Next time I'd shorten the hike on a high heat summer day that it was when we did the hike and go with, Gap Run, to North Ridge, to Piedmont Overlook. Happy hiking!

We hiked a partial loop of the Blue Ridge backcountry area, starting by the visitor center and historic farmhouse. We thought it best to head up to the Piedmont Overlook first, given the late morning sunny conditions on a warm June day. The short but steep climb did not disappoint. We continued on the wooded North Ridge Trail, returning by way of the Gap Run Trail and Boston Mill Road (we also included the Snowden Loop). This was a special hike for me...a combination of wonderful trails, beautiful countryside views and sentimentality for coming back to my old Northern Virginia home and finally getting to hike Sky Meadows. I would love to return for a fall hike at some point to complete the rest of the backcountry trails.

The trail list in All Trails as Piedmont Overlook is actually a combination of trails encompassing the The Blue Ridge Backcountry of Sky Meadows State Park. The combo of trails shown by All Trails is Piedmont Overlook 0.6mi, Ambassador Whitehouse 1.1mi, Appalachian 2.43mi, North Ridge approx 0. 5mi, South Ridge 1.54mi depending on where you stop and start. I'm only reviewing the Piedmont section , Dog friendly, kid friendly.

This was great! If we ever do it again we would go the opposite way so that we ended with the view. It was a great hike. Benches along the way for a rest. Some sun and some shade. A mixture between some steep hills and flat trails. The meadows were pretty as well!

definitely not for kids. more experienced and people in good shape. start of the trail will make you stop to catch your breath.

Very nice. Intersecting trails give lots of options

amazing day, beautiful weather, been coming here for years. great place to hike

We stumbled on this area by accident. We had a few good hours to hike, which brought us to Sky Meadow. Hiking up Piedmont is slow going, but the views are worth the trek. We followed the recommendations of others on this loop. At the top of the Ambassador Whitehouse trl is a beautiful view of Paris below. The trail intersects with the AT, but then turns back into the woods onto the North Ridge trl. Very glad to take the South Ridge trl down. It meets up with the Snowden trl, where you can see remnants of the old homestead.

Excellent views. On our first visit we climbed up the meadow (benches for kids to take a break) and came down in the woods by the stream. We knew next time to go up in the woods by the stream and go down the meadow and enjoy that view! My 6 year old had no problem and could of hiked much farther. It was a bit much for my 3 year old. Very well marked trails. Just a fabulous park! This park can get very busy. We arrived at 11 AM on Presidents' Day and were told the park was closed due to overcrowding. One of the park rangers directed us to the GR Thompson state wildlife management area on Leeds Manor road about a mile away where we parked for free, hiked and had a fabulous time, but definitely not the views of Sky Meadow.

This hike is in Sky Meadows State park (nominal $5 entrance fee). Beautiful expansive views definitely worth the entrance fee.
When you get the park trail map you realize that this 4.7 mile loop is actually made up of 5 trails (one of them being a small segment of the Appalachian trail). Because of this you definitely need the state park trail map to navigate! Having said that though this park's trails is very very well marked with actual trail names for every one of the trails along the way. Every turn is very well marked!! Trails are well-kept except for part of the yellow trail (which was our last trail in the park) This Trail had some washouts but not real bad. All the trails are the width of small jeep.
The parking area is just great with plenty of room for a lot of cars and where we parked there was a low stone wall that you could sit and put your hiking boots on (very nice).
The hike is a combination of expansive views and in-the-woods hiking.
We do a lot of hiking in Virginia and this by far has been the best marked trails that we've encountered in the state so far!!!
We highly recommend this hike and don't think anyone would be disappointed in this one!

Love the climb and the view. Vertical meadows are a switch for this former flatlander.

Love the trail network at Sky Meadows. The views on the Overlook trail are pretty epic. Definitely a rigorous climb. :)

Monday, November 14, 2016

The cool thing about this trail is it connects with a few others. Hiked Piedmont Overlook to Ambassador Whitehouse to Appalachian South Trail to North Ridge to South Ridge and then finished on Boston Mill Road to connect the loop. Although it was overcast, the views were beautiful. I would love to hike this trail again. My roommate also brought his dog, a few rocky parts, but very well maintained trails and mostly grass fields. Stopped at Paris View for some time just before connecting with the Appalachian Trail.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Beautiful views. Exquisitely maintained. Windflowers. Benches. Memorial garden. AT hikers and other friendly people.

Monday, September 05, 2016

The hike starts off going uphill through a cow pasture. I'd say the first 1/3 of the hike was just all uphill. Some nice views along the way up though! I went on a Sunday morning on a holiday weekend, and there were plenty of people, but mostly spaced out. There are so many trails that I only ran into a dozen or so other people. Overall, I enjoyed the hike and would do it again!