White Rock Gap Trail

White Rock Gap Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lyndhurst, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

I hiked this trail in conjunction with the Slacks trail connecting to Torry Ridge trail, and Sherando Lake trail to equal about 10.5 miles. My family started in Sherando Lake and hiked up to Torry Ridge over to Slacks, & then White Rock. There were multiple streams that you will cross and I had to take my shoes off for 2. My husband had waterproof boots and he was fine. The rushing water was beautiful and cold on May 30th, when we hiked.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

When you park in the parking lot and mile marker 19.9, DO NOT GO ON THE TRAIL NEXT TO THE PARKING LOT, GO ACROSS THE ROAD AND INTO THE TRAIL. If you go to the trail across the road, the trail will be 3+ miles shorter. Also, when you go down the trail that's across the street, when you see two yellow paint strokes, go that way because that's where the waterfall is. Great trail just wish I new where to go. The waterfall is great and the water around it isn't deep (2-3 feet maybe). I highly recommend bringing water shoes so if you walk on the rocks to get to the waterfall and you slip it won't be an issue. It's better to get close to it!

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Heads up. This trail is at least a mile and a half longer each way than what the forest service trail guide says. That said, I really loved this trail. It is my kind of trail.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

From the Upper Sherando Lake beginning this trail makes a gentle climb all the way up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and a gentle descent all the way back. The Forest Service brochure makes it sound like you are walking along the creek all the way. I guess you could argue that the trail does follow along the creek, but you will not actually see much of it. The forest is beautiful and the trail is nice.