White Oak Canyon Trail

White Oak Canyon Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Park in the Whiteoak Canyon parking area at mile 42.6. Trailhead is located in lot.

Great hike. Splashed in the lower falls. Upper falls was big but pools were small. Few people in the morning. Got very busy in the afternoon.

My wife and I celebrated or 25 wedding anniversary today with this trail. It was well marked and the sights were amazing. Thank you park service and volunteers that maintain the trails and park. The only thing better than the falls was the smile on my beautiful wife's face.

Great hike! Me and my friend did it last weekend. We arrived around 12pm and park on the white oak parking lot - was not very busy.
It was not hard to find the way but trail is full of rocks and stones. That is kinda hard. First we went down to waterfall then back up to the parking lot which was harder because it was a small hill.
We did only the upper waterfall because we did not have enough time to do both.
Amazing, peaceful and great view!

Great hike, but not what I was expecting.
I started the At the White Oak Canyon parking lot, which is accessed from outside of the Shenandoah park. There was a entry fee, which would carry over into park entry.
I finished at the Upper White Oak falls, you can continue on the trail or to others at this point, but it's the end of the waterfalls.
The hike is 6.14mi and took me 3.5 hours to complete, including a quick lunch stop.

If you're interested in swimming the biggest swimming holes are close to the White Oak parking lot and are more crowded. And you climb the trails the holes get more shallow, but are fun for a dunk and more secluded.

amazing views by far one of best trails I've been on

Very nice hike with beautiful falls at the end. Saw a bear, water snake, and scarlet tanager. The parking lot is large and the trail can be busy. There are decent fishing spots along the trail.

Waterfalls we're breathtaking but the hike was very rigorous hiking back.

Rocks. Lots of em. If you start from the top it starts of real nice. Going up is a completely different story. But it's a fun trail with a few watering holes if you'd like to take a swim. Lots of people. And rocks.

We hiked it from the top down and then turned around and just went back up the same way. Going omg down you don't really realize how steep it is! Definitely recommend starting from the bottom first before it gets hot outside

Awesome waterfalls. The trail is well kept but really rocky so wear good hiking shoes. I walked the entire hike from the bottom to the top and back down. Three bottles of water were not enough. This is not a hike to go on without a back pack full of much needed odds and ends. It is quicker to go from the bottom up to the falls as it is a shorter distance to accomplish. The waterfalls are beautiful! Taking breaks helps as the incline past the lower falls is steep. I can say now I made the round trip :)