Waller Mill Reservoir & Tower Trail

Waller Mill Reservoir & Tower Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Williamsburg, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Most of the loop is along the water. Be prepared for a lot of steep inclines and declines. Note: There is a $2 parking fee.

Terrific! Beautiful views, a great path surface, and a bit of elevation change every once in a while to keep you honest. This is a walk/hike that provides you with great water views as you walk in a forested area; a rare combination!

Pretty easy walk, a lot of ups and downs. $2 park fee, make sure you go to the building by the water to pay before you go to leave.

Very nice trail and matches description.

This was an awesome trail in an awesome park. Beautiful forest and lake views. The trail was wide and well marked. No getting lost here even without a map. There are lots of tree roots so watch your footing. There were plenty of climbs which I was excited about as I was looking for more of a challenge. And of course it was awesome that the pup got to go swimming. There is a $2 parking fee... just an FYI. There's also lots to do at the park.

Short hike with easy elevations just watch for all the tree roots.

Great to run, but watch out for the roots. The view from the lookout is beautiful.

paddle sports

Great place! Could be a bit more organized for rentals but the price is right! Enjoyed canoeing and paddle boarding with the family.

Nice trail with good views of the reservoir. Several low hills make this an interesting walk. Be aware there is a$2 fee to get in the park.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Hit this trail, early this morning, after it stormed all night. Trail is a combination of roots, sand, and leaves. All that '70s quicksand training paid off. The second I hit that wet sand I thought I was a goner, but I slide all the way across to the hard land, and caught myself. Praise Be 1970s TV! It saved my life! Otherwise, one of my favorite trails and I go often but I don't run it. I trip over air.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

We hiked the lookout trail on a Sunday morning and saw no one else on the trail. The trail is over the forest bed, with lots of roots, and with several minor accents and descents into and out of gullies. Bathrooms are near the boat house. Parking is off of Airport Road, with $2 charge.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Beautiful walking trail near the lake.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Great little trail close to home. I would rate it easy.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Easy, nice and quiet.

Monday, February 20, 2017

I would rate this Trail as moderate for beginners. For those of us who are more seasoned it's nothing too difficult. Multiple inclines and declines. The park map says it's a 2.9 mile trail however I wasn't able to record the walk so I'm not 100% sure how accurate it is. All in all a good trail lightly trafficked. Dogs must be on a leash and picked up after. No biking on this trail. There was a little bit of trash by the tower myself and a friend picked up a lot of it.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Fun trail run or hike. Connector from parking is paved but loop itself is good dirt trail for running. Nice views and elevation changes.

Monday, October 10, 2016

A lot of roots and small but constant elevation changes make it a good workout. Used off trail shoes for second go

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Runner's Review

This park sits off of Airport Rd. The ticket system is simple enough, I just wish they had kiosks that allowed cars to pay on their way out with credit cards. I recommend taking your parking ticket to the boat house for validation (after you pay $2) so that way you have it already on the way out.

There's a bathroom here but I didn't use it- so I can't speak to how clean it is. But at least it's there.

Several trucks with their boat hauling equipment attached were blocking all of the entrances to trails!! As a first timer that made it very difficult to navigate where I wanted to go!

I chose Lookout Trail with AllTrails help. Lookout trail's entrance is facing away from the water and towards the dog park. The trail starts off as loose sand before you see a "No bikes allowed" sign and then hit your first set of wooden stairs. The stairs take you to a paved trail that runs you along Airport Rd. You'll stay on this straightaway briefly. I say enjoy this part because you'll immediately hit a couple up hills!! The trail entrance was clearly marked. HOWEVER on the way back the turn to get back to the boathouse was NOT clearly marked.

The trail itself is your standard run through the woods trail. But I see why bikers are not allowed. As other reviewers pointed out its VERY rooty. I was constantly looking down to avoid a misstep. Also there are very steep hills. I enjoyed the steps when they were there and pushed myself up the second hill which probably is steep enough to have steps but does not.

My biggest complaint here (and bear with me as I'm probably spoiled by Northern VA's trails) but there were SO MANY spider webs going directly across the trail!!!!! I spent so much time stopping to breakup obvious spider webs and spent a good deal of time freaking out as I missed some and ran straight into them. This trail must be scarcely used and the trail attendants must never make the full walk often enough to avoid this from occurring. Ultimately 1.5 miles in I turned around- the spider webs were causing me to stop so often/be grossed out that I had had enough.

Between looking down so much to avoid a misstep to looking up and around for spider webs this run was not enjoyable. The layout of the trail was gorgeous and I liked how often you were right next to the water on this trail.

Friday, March 25, 2016

it's kid friendly as far as the playground goes. but it's definitely not toddler friendly as far as the trail goes. Too many tree roots coming out of the ground.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Beautiful January day when we hiked this scenic trail.

Monday, August 17, 2015

accidentally submitted my review before I was done.

...the view from the lookout tower is amazing.

Monday, August 17, 2015

LOTS of elevation changes, some are a bit difficult to traverse (either angle, sandy soil, tree roots, etc). Lots of tree roots across the paths make footing tough at times - ankle support is a must. Made the hike with the whole family though (Wife, sister, 3 y/o hiking, 14 m/o on my back, the other 5 kids from 6 to 16 on foot) With minimal complaint from the little ones. Older kids had a blast. Great trail when you're ready to step up your challenge level. The view from the look outtower

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Easy hike but nice views of the water from the trail.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

This was an awesome trail. You have to pay two dollars at the boat house for entry into the park. That is well worth the price. The lookout tower is within the first 1/4 mile. After you leave the lookout tower, the trail is covered with roots and they are very easy to trip on. We saw baby frogs everywhere, and some big ones. My dog enjoyed the trail as well, there were plenty of areas on the trail for her to get a drink from the lake. I took 3 kids with me and they breezed through this trail. Although I would not recommend this trail for elderly that have problems with knees.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Took the lookout tower trail (about 2.5 miles round trip from the parking lot). It was a pretty good walk. The trail was sand and dirt. The beginning 2/3 was extreme ups and downs and the trail was very rooty. The last 1/3 was smooth and gradual. I would definitely go back.

Monday, December 30, 2013

Just got done canoeing around the park. Nice day, plus I was the only one on the water. They should add canoeing to their filter. Had fun going threw the tunnel under the road and watching the eagles.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Great trail. Dog loved it as well. The lookout tower trails really 3miles and the bayberry trail is 0.92/1.5 mi short/long loop. Ill def be back

Saturday, July 06, 2013

This hike passes the lookout tower and then loops around a long peninsular, three quarters of the way follows the reservoir and almost all of it is through beautiful forest. The weather was beautiful.

Saturday, July 06, 2013

It is only a baby trail and very easy but great views along the way and at the tower. The tower is not impressive but the view from the tower is.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Nice short trail with a lot of water veiws. Also forest and of course the lookout tower at the end. I did not bring the camera because of the rain but I will go back later in the week.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Up and down and up and down; this trail cannot make up it's mind. But I gave it a 5 star rating for beauty and solitude. It follows the reservoir most of the way. The lookout tower, beautiful forest and wildlife round it out.